It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: More Americans believe humans evolved without God

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
reply to post by Bunken Drum

Allready answerd that post earlier on in the thread

Burned:
I have read the thread upto this point & I have not seen you define the difference between right & wrong. Still, perhaps I'm wrong. If so, it should be a simple matter to quote yourself & demonstrate that. Otherwise, your above post looks like the usual response of a person who fears or knows their argument is bunk & thus attempts to duck direct questions about it.

Btw, your avatar is pretty... & I'm male... dont be cheeky!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I think ive provided more than enough imformation regarding my Original post, and Other users have agreed with me on my posts, Obviously they got the point i was trying to make

Cheers for the Avatar compliment

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Where does the inspiration for scientific theory come from, could it come from something higher then self?

Are we communicated with?

Why isn't a scientist like a mystic?

Maybe all knowledge is imparted to us from a higher power.

One side becomes as dogmatic as the other, why can't one find the universe in a grain of sand, the more knowledge that is uncovered about our world, our lives and our place in the universe, the more I believe.

Mysticism and metaphysics doesn't have to be something laughable, it is only somethings yet hidden.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by peacevic
reply to post by Black_Fox

Agreed. People who are on good behavior just because they fear what god may do to them are scary indeed. In more ways than one...

There were a few times in my life that I was as you say living to please god, during this time I was more successful, and happier then another time in my life, I was 12,

The other time was the few years I was deep into meditation and metaphysics, this lasted a few years, an ecstatic journey, where everything became magic, a new appreciation for all the beauty that surrounds us. cloaked in the cloud of unknowing, I still get glimpses of it, a split second in time that seems like eternity when there is total peace and self is set free,

To me spirituality, is outside the limits of space and time.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Lucifer remove from heaven because of being self centered, thinking that he can surpass gods knowledge and power..and he fell here on earth to dwell with the humans; lie to them, misguided them, Lucifer uses all the tactics he knows even using the name of god to deceive each and everyone of us...
this earth is his playground his home,thats why everywhere you look there's always death and sufferings because Lucifer itself is maybe your president,politician,teacher,preacher,etc... and the only truth is in the bible and the only key is in julian assange.....
ask him the password

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I wanna answer it!

The difference between right and wrong. My opinion and their opinion.

Example: I am right...they are wrong.

hopefully that clears everything up...if not I can use other examples..like reverse the order
They are wrong because I am right...
Starred! The question then becomes... what is left?

Are we left with "might makes right"? Or is "left" something tradition says is wrong? Where does tradition come from? Hmmm... Republicans apparently are more favourable to the religious explanation of how we got here. Perhaps there's a correlation in there somewhere?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

I think ive provided more than enough imformation regarding my Original post, and Other users have agreed with me on my posts
You're entitled to your opinion about what you've provided & I couldn't give a toss whether others agree with it. My question to you was "What is the difference between right & wrong?"
Your closest to a reply, which you claimed to have already made, was a quote of somebody else's opinion stating that what is right or wrong is a matter of received opinion (& I hope you see the irony there), but says nothing about the difference. The quote then went on to define immorality as disagreeing with the majority.
I didn't frame my 1st reply to you as a Socratic question just to "sound intellectual" or anything of that sort: I have a specific point to make which rests on formal logic, so I'm not going to conflate notions of right vs wrong with a perception of morality, since clearly, the 2 are subject to very different parameters: as someone else mentioned - subjective/objective, but also power, influence, education, intellect, sheer leisure time to consider these questions & much more.

So again, I invite you to answer the question.

Oh & you're welcome!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I'm agnostic and will most likely always stay agnostic.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

To define right and wrong would be to not identify the right in a wrong and a wrong in a right, its an Un-answerable bias question based on Morality and peer view points. Only when the world is at the end of days will people be able to look back and debate what was right and wrong.

Clearly a man of your high intellect could have worked such things out yourself, But nope you prefer to get angry and Pan your intellegence against others in a vain attempt to make you look in some way intelligent for asking questions in the first place.
How about contributing your view point to the thread next time, Rather than attempting to pervert it

edit on 20/12/10 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

reply to post by peacevic

The past evils done in the name of “God” were done for man using the name of God. It was mans way of making excuses for committing the evils they did. It is no different than today with people doing things and blaming something else. You are right though people need to take responsibilities for their own actions. People and the evil in their hearts caused the crusades not God.

As for “God fearing” people being on good behavior because they fear God. I believe there are people like that, but I also think the idea of fearing God escapes you as well.

It is not about doing things because you fear punishment, which is not what is meant (at least how I understand it). God punishes by removing His hand of protection. We do things to please God not out of fear but out of love. The fear that is lacking is an overall fear that we will one day answer for our sins. God has been replaced in the hearts of most by self pleasures which differ from person to person. If you are “doing the right thing” simply so that you will not face punishments you are doing them for the wrong reasons and God knows a person’s heart. Having a happy after life is not only based on doing good deeds but what is in our hearts. If we allow our hearts to be filled fully with God we will not do evil. Sadly we often think we can do everything without God, this allows evil in our hearts and causes us to sin.

Regardless of what any Christian tells you everyone of us sins. The point is to recognize the sin and ask God to help remove it from you.

I am not trying to get preachy on you as some will think I was merely trying to explain.

Raist

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Raist

I don't take it as getting preachy. But...when you say:

It is not about doing things because you fear punishment, which is not what is meant (at least how I understand it). God punishes by removing His hand of protection.

Protection against what?

If we allow our hearts to be filled fully with God we will not do evil. Sadly we often think we can do everything without God, this allows evil in our hearts and causes us to sin.

What can we not do without god?

Apologies to all if we're getting off topic.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Evolution is a tool that our creator uses. Evolution is based on natural selection working on random mutation. A lot of theists do not have a problem with evolution; they just believe that the mutations are not "random".

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
All I got to say about it is this, Children are REQUIRED to go to school or else their parents or gaurdians get fines and some kind of youth services called on them, in schools they teach about evolutionary theories but the schools are NOT allowed to teach God anymore without being offensive to someone. Children are NOT REQUIRED to go to church, church populations have been low lately haven't they? Anyways just my opinion on how I see it, of course more people will believe in anything they learned that in the eyes of education hae alternate but equal theories. God is presented as fact in church, evolution is taught as factual in school, which institution is required for the masses and which is a choice? The more the merrier on one side or the other I suppose. Enjoy the eclipse

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

Now, I told you not to be cheeky, did I not? When a person espouses fear as a good means of ensuring compliance, then naturally another person may come to the conclusion that punishing that person for transgressions is the best way forward. In this instance, I'll just apply a little gentle chiding...

I did not ask you to define right & wrong. It really does beggar belief that after the question was repeated you still did not address it but replied anyway. A 3rd time then (with helpful additional emphasis):
What is the difference between right & wrong?

If you dont know, or cant give an opinion that doesn't lead to a contradiction of your earlier argument, you may wish to simply ignore me. Maybe not. Be assured that, 1 way or another, I am going to make the point I mentioned, since to do otherwise would be to render this entire discussion between us OT. As for the rest of your post, my intellect has nothing to do with the subject matter & neither does your sarcasm. Admittedly, I responded to "Burned" with a mignon of cheek myself, but lets be fair: it wasn't an ad hominem attack. You are straying into such & its not helping your argument, but rather making you look like someone who has no argument but cant leave it be for the sake of their pride.
Strangely enough, this is a typical MO amongst those who advocate the application of their spiritual beliefs to the temporal activities of others. We all ought to know what happened to Socrates at the hands of such overweaningly proud people. For what? Asking questions the proud couldn't answer logically without contradicting themselves. Hey, I'm not him. Maybe you've got a point. I'm asking the difficult questions to see if you have.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Brotherman

Um...but evolution is fact. It's confirmed, scientific, fact. It's gone through over 100 years of scrutiny and been arrived to as fact. It went through the same rigorous process as any other scientific theory, so it gets to be taught in the science classroom. There are mountains upon mountains of evidence in support of evolution and it has hundreds of thousands of publications in the scientific literature...

Religions, on the other hand....don't have any of those things. And creationism is demonstrably false.

Oh, and you don't have to send your kids to a public school, there are plenty of schools around the USA that cater to the ignorance of creationism.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Yes, evolution is fact. The resistance of bacteria to antibiotics, which we should all be familiar with, is a real-time example of evolution in action.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join