It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll: More Americans believe humans evolved without God

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Poll: More Americans believe humans evolved without God

www.rawstory.com

52% of GOP reject evolution; 36% reject creationism
Monkey Poll: More Americans believe humans evolved without God
More Americans today believe that human beings developed without any involvement of a higher power, according to a new poll.

Gallup reported that since 1982, the number of Americans believing that humans evolved over millions of years increased by seven percentage points.

The current figure - 16 percent - has trended upwards since 2000.

Since 1982, Americans who believe that humans evolved with God guiding the process haven't changed (38 percent), while Americans who b
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
This also signals another attitude. A lack of "Faith" and "trust" in authority. Apparently this also translates into the Biblical realm.
It seems daily lies are revealed, that the common man is controlled by politics, media, clerics; all with the agenda of promoting their own particular fantasy.

I believe that the www. is partly responsible for the "neothink" with the access to other ideas and information on a global scale. But also a way to promote more lies and deceit.
Is it a step forward in Mans evolution or just another mechanism for the controllers to use? We shall see...
Both evolution and grand design are but theories, imo the real truth may be beyond man and his still primitive cognitive powers to understand anyway.

edit on 20-12-2010 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Well of course they do! If theres no God there no rules and people like to do whatever they want whenever they want

Maybe if half of them were "God-Fearing" Then poeple wouldnt prance around with shovels of make-up On and the most revealing outfits, Poeple would know the difference between right And wrong and then the world would be a better place

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

40% of Americans (and 52% of Republicans) still believing that humans were created by a god in their present form is still crazy high. And US is higher than virtually every other major country, save Turkey. Embarrassing...

Response by Country to the Statement, "Human Beings, as We Know Them, Developed from Earlier Species of Animals"

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Interesting. Looks like the tables are slowly turning. The more science discovers about how we came into being, the less people need to depend on stories told to them at church.

Originally posted by TedHodgson
If theres no God there no rules and people like to do whatever they want whenever they want.

Um... People without deities have rules, standards, morals and ethics...
Just FYI. They know the difference between right and wrong, too.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Oh REally! Now currents events if anything show that poeple dont know the difference between the two

People i see around, Par a select few, Clearly have no sense of ethics or in most cases no self-respect either, To not notice the Wrong in the world is to be blind to it

edit on 20/12/10 by TedHodgson because: spelling

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
I believe that the www. is partly responsible for the "neothink" with the access to other ideas and information on a global scale. But also a way to promote more lies and deceit.

This is a very astute statement here. Human, in general, appear to be great at processing the information that is right in front of them, but have a hard time assuming information from an unknown data set. However, when a new data set is introduced, humans are incredibly good at reconciling and merging that data into the existing data and reformulating conclusions.

Of course, there are two gotchas to this. There will be groups of people who are too rigid and refuse to accept new data. They hide behind the aspects of tradition, fear, and righteousness. Then there is the other extreme that accepts anything that comes their way and they end up looking like loons and can be easily controlled and lied to. Of course one can belong to both sides on differant subjects.

So yeah, I agree that the rise of the internet is to blame/credit for this change. I won't comment on whether it is a good or bad thing, since my religious/spiritual opinion is not particularly relevant to the discussion

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Evolution is nothing more than environmental stresses upon an organism. That organism has a genetic choice. Either adapt and survive or die.
That choice, even on a genetic level sounds like free will to me.

Just my humble opinion.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

The title is somewhat misleading. More Americans believe humans evolved without God *than before*. The linked study shows that more Americans believe humans evolved with God rather than without.

Furthermore, in 1982 44% of Americans did not believe in evolution of any type, compared with 40% for 2010. The evolution camp is hardly making any headroom at all.

Personally I think it may be the attitude of arrogance and superiority that most vocal evolution supporters have actually doing them a dis-service that is the problem. Atheists often wish to use evidence of evolution to disprove Christianity when in fact it really has little effect on Christianity... Christians can simply switch their belief system to say the book of Genesis is an allegory more than a historical account... they could even spin the creation story to say the story itself seems to describe evolution.

If Christianity is the key to all happiness, church membership will keep rising until everyone is a Christian.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   

reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Oh REally! Now currents events if anything show that poeple dont know the difference between the two

People i see around, Par a select few, Clearly have no sense of ethics or in most cases no self-respect either, To not notice the Wrong in the world is to be blind to it

edit on 20/12/10 by TedHodgson because: spelling

Um, yeah. There was plenty of "wrong" in the world before the "fall of christianity" and a lot of it was done by Christians. Plenty of blame to go around there. BTW, not Christian here and I have no problem living life without harming people or doing "evil".

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by TedHodgson

That is also open to the counter claim that many humans, from criminals to world leaders, have used the notion of God to do whatever they pleased - including justifying the most hideous mass slaughter of human life.

I believe today that my conduct is in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator” - Adolf Hitler
edit on 20-12-2010 by infinite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Of course, Theres corruption everywhere, Because nobody fears God anymore, Of course theres good On this world but even The Good should surely Notice that their surrounded by evil

Originally posted by rogerstigers
BTW, not Christian here and I have no problem living life without harming people or doing "evil".

Did i even mention Christianity in my Orginal Post?.,.....Erm Nope!

Burned:

edit on 20/12/10 by TedHodgson because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:01 AM
link   

And how many of these current events are driven by religion? An awful lot of the bad things going on are fueled by religious beliefs - at least at the "soldier" level, if not the leaders.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I think the reason for small acceptance of evolution in the US compared to the rest of the world is that belief in god is strongly associated with creationism, and evolution is associated with atheism. This is not true in other countries, where theistic evolutionists are a majority, so evolution is not seen as anything against god.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   

reply to post by infinite

Did i even mention Christianity in my Orginal Post?.,.....Erm Nope!

Burned:

You are correct.. you only mentioned "God-Fearing" and spouted out the same rhetoric I hear from the Christians in my neck of the woods. I apologize for assuming that you were speaking of Christianity, but I think, based on my experience, that it was a fari assumption.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Interesting. I didn't know that. That does make sense though. Thanks for the insight.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by peacevic

And how many of these current events are driven by religion? An awful lot of the bad things going on are fueled by religious beliefs - at least at the "soldier" level, if not the leaders.

Its not about Religion anymore, Its about the difference Between right and wrong.
Poeple Do Not fear God anymore and they use their Gods to justify their Own corrupt Decisions,
Poeple who have No god and dont belive in the concept Make up their own mind on how to be the best person they can be, Sometimes you get really good people because of this but mostly it turns out people that make decisions to do the Wrong thing in general but the right thing for themselves

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

Im not a religious person either I just know the difference between right and wrong, And allways tend to do the right thing and sometimes at great cost to myself.
I reconise relgion as Generic Beleif In something, But people no longer Fear their Gods, They just use them to justify their actions if you get what i mean

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

Is this true or can the rest just not read the poll to answer the question?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
If fear is what some people need to keep them 'good', then I feel really sorry for them.

reply to post by Maslo

That would be an interesting position. I know there are some theistic evolutionists here, but mostly, evolution is associated with atheism, corruption, immorality and general evil.

Im not a religious person either I just know the difference between right and wrong,

And you attribute your knowledge of right and wrong to the fact that you fear God? Am I getting that right? Because that makes no sense! You either know the difference between right and wrong or you don't. Fear doesn't play into it.

Fear MAY play into whether you CHOOSE to do right or wrong. But I don't need fear to motivate me to do the right thing. I do the right thing because it's the right thing to do. No fear involved.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join