It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seven Great Mars Pictures From Record-Breaking Probe!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   
"Magnificent" Mars Crater
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/256573fa7d2f.jpg[/atsimg]
Lines of ancient material ejected by a meteorite radiate outward from Mars's Bacolor Crater, a 12-mile-wide (20-kilometer-wide) pit on the surface of the red planet.

The picture of the "magnificent" crater is a combination of photos taken between 2002 and 2005 by the Thermal Emission Imaging System (THEMIS) instrument on NASA's 2001 Mars Odyssey orbiter, which became the longest-working spacecraft in Mars's history this week, according to NASA.

December 15 marked the 3,340th day—or nearly ten years—since the spacecraft had entered Mars's orbit on October 24, 2001. Odyssey broke the record previously set by the Mars Global Surveyor, which operated from September 11, 1997, to November 2, 2006.

The spacecraft's most famous discovery to date—evidence for copious amounts of water ice lurking just below the dry Martian surface—was also one of its first, said Mars Odyssey project scientist Jeffrey Plaut of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

"Pierced" Crater
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd6d1619e1ba.jpg[/atsimg]
Resembling an arrow-pierced apple, this dual crater on Mars was imaged by NASA's Mars Odyssey orbiter in May 2005.

Each several miles wide, the craters were formed when a meteorite broke in two shortly before hitting the ground, creating two bowl-shaped depressions. Mars Odyssey has led a somewhat charmed life, Plaut added. "We haven't had any real difficult moments." The "biggest crisis" occurred on Halloween 2003, when a solar "superstorm" released a barrage of charged particles that wreaked havoc on all electronics on Mars, he said. Odyssey lost its radiation-measurement instrument but later recovered.

Mars Sand Sea
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c7440ad1012.jpg[/atsimg]
A sea of dark, wind-sculpted sand dunes is seen in a combination of Mars Odyssey pictures taken between December 2002 and November 2004.

For a spacecraft that's been in orbit for nearly ten years, Odyssey is in "beautiful condition," Plaut said. Most of its science instruments are still functioning, and backup systems for Odyssey have never had to be called into action. Perhaps the major limiting factor for the spacecraft is the small amount of fuel needed weekly to maintain its orbit. If there are no major adjustments to Odyssey's orbit, team member estimate the spacecraft has enough fuel to last 10 to 15 more years.

Source: news.nationalgeographic.com...:01#/m ars-odyssey-dunes_30568_600x450.jpg

What can you say but amazing. Such a great time to be alive, Space Exploration wise. To see all of this stuff that we can about Mars, the Moon and all the other things we can see now, is mind-blowing. Considering not more than 15 years-or sooner, none of this stuff was possible.

Generations of Man/Human race have stared at the sky-wondering what was up there, what it was like etc.

It would be interesting to see those people of old days reactions to what we can show them today. Like the very first noted Star Gazer. To all of those who looked to the sky-to share with them what we know. All started by their dreams and wonderment.

check out the rest at the site and there is additional links to other related stuff.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   
nice i love this kind of stuff

any more photos?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by reptilianonearth

Yes, at the article link.

I am looking for others from the craft's makers website.

I just love the Dunes one. Cool as heck.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Not too many Mars fans on today?

I was hoping to get some good input on these pics.

I feel like I am in a huge echo chamber/hall (empty, of course).

Must be the Holidays.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
What a beautiful planet.
If I were terminally ill I wouldn't mind being shot off to Mars just to get a look.
What a way to go!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by anon72
Mars Sand Sea
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1c7440ad1012.jpg[/atsimg]
That's a fantastic shot!

It reminds me that even though the atmosphere on Mars is very thin, there's still enough of it to shape the landscape in this dramatic way!

It's amazing what we can see about the planets now.

And also amazing we can see the moon and mars on Google Earth.

What scientists of the past would have given to see what we can see, we almost take it for granted!
edit on 20-12-2010 by Arbitrageur because: fix typo

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

What scientists of the past would have given to see what we can see, we almost take it for granted!

I think we do take it for granted. The ones who bother to look and stay up on things that is even.

I try not to. I look at these pics on the big screen at home and I can get lost in them. These types and Hubbles.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Nice find star and flag for you. I wish we could get more info like this. Its nice to be reminded all the money NASA spends does not always go to waste.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I hear ya about NASA and the $$$.

I wouldn't mind so much if I knew we were seeing Everything that they are seeing. As of now---crumbs.

top topics

join