It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Leaked Cable: Hike Food Prices To Boost GM Crop Approval In Europe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Economic warfare at the very least, not to mention the countless 'unexpected' side-effects of actually eating the crap ...

dissidentvoice.org...

In a January 2008 meeting, US and Spain trade officials strategized how to increase acceptance of genetically modified foods in Europe, including inflating food prices on the commodities market, according to a leaked US diplomatic cable released by WikiLeaks.

During the meeting, Secretary of State for International Trade, Pedro Mejia, and Secretary General, Alfredo Bonet “noted that commodity price hikes might spur greater liberalization on biotech imports.”

It seems Wall Street traders got the word. By June 2008, food prices had spiked so severely that “The Economist announced that the real price of food had reached its highest level since 1845, the year the magazine first calculated the number,” reports Fred Kaufman in The Food Bubble: How Wall Street starved millions and got away with it.

The unprecedented high in food prices in 2008 caused an additional 250 million people to go hungry, pushing the global number to over a billion. 2008 is also the first year “since such statistics have been kept, that the proportion of the world’s population without enough to eat ratcheted upward,” said Kaufman.

All to boost acceptance of GM foods, and done via a trading scheme on which Wall Street speculators profited enormously.

continued...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

Words fail me, I am so disgusted. Personally, I make a point of avoiding GM foods where information is available

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Yes, it's disgusting. This is why the government is furious about the leaks - it's not about national security concerns,, it's about their crimes being exposed. Imagine, this is how US Cabal treats its so called 'European Allies'. Actually, they spit on their allies. I bet the other EU countries, especially those who are against GMO, are mad IMO there could be the basis for a class action suit on this - given that the food prices spiked hugely, and totally atypically six months later. .
edit on 20-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
It is just so despicable. So, I ask again. When do we say enough?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I know GM crops has a lot of problems, but so does feeding the world. My biggest complaint is a lack of peer review from self regulation. Just take the problem with Asbestos as one example. There are stories that bad strains are entering the environment mainly due to profits, this must end. DNA is complex but good work is being made. There will be mistakes, but without oversight to help manage and understand all the issues it can quickly get out of hand.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
WikiLeaks: US Should Retaliate Against EU for Genetically Modifed Resistance

WikiLeaked cables released over the weekend revealed more about the US' role as a global bully, trying to thrust unpopular genetically modified (GM) crops onto cautious governments and their citizens. In a 2007 cable from Craig Stapleton, then US Ambassador to France, he encouraged the US government to "reinforce our negotiating position with the EU on agricultural biotechnology by publishing a retaliation list." A list, he added, that "causes some pain across the EU since this is a collective responsibility."

The stated reason for their attack was that "Europe is moving backwards not forwards" on GMOs,

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by alaskan

If backwards means away from GMO's, then I am all for it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
The only thing that's more worrying than any of the contents of these leaked cables, is how little of this is being covered in the media. I mean, you think this would be breaking news, along with several other of the leaks. However, I've hardly heard them mentioned, and when they were, they were just small stories. The leaks themselves seem to be making absolutely no change/having no effect whatsoever, besides acting as a kind of vindication for policing the internet- definitely nothing positive, anyway. Some of these revelations should be a big enough catalyst for change, things are looking very bleak.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ScepticalBeliever

The Lame Stream Media would not cover the second coming unless their corporate masters ordered it.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I'm so utterly disgusted by this kind of behaviour and their morally corrupt modus operandi & policies!

The people of Europe don't want these Corporation's poisonous crap and GMO products here - Goddamit!

Pardon my French, but they can take their damn GMO food crap and stuff it up their arses!

edit on 21-12-2010 by Chevalerous because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Problem
Reaction
Solution

They use it in almost everything they do...over and over and over

The sad part is we know this and do nothing..it would be better to be in the camp of denial that calls everyone a conspiracy theorist whacko who speaks of this

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by superluminal11
Problem
Reaction
Solution

They use it in almost everything they do...over and over and over

The sad part is we know this and do nothing..it would be better to be in the camp of denial that calls everyone a conspiracy theorist whacko who speaks of this

You got it wrong!

It starts with:

They have a goal, the Solution, then they create the problem and when the people react they offered their prep-prepared solution !

So:

1. "Solution"
2. Problem
3. Reaction
4. implement 1.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Why is this Thread in General Conspiracy Section?

Shouldnt this be in Alternative News Section or something similar?

Information here is not a Conspiracy

Information here is not even General Conspiracy

Information here is CONFIRMED!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Can you believe the moderators actually moved it to belowtopsecret.com the first time I posted it?

It's amazing that this website has grown to the size it has with people like this running it... not to mention the joke that is the search function

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

As always, monsanto didn't have any representative appear on the show, but look at a response they did give...

"There is no need for, or value in testing of GM foods in humans. So long as the introduced protein is determined safe, food from GM crops determined to be substantially equivalent is not expected to pose any health risks. Further, it is impossible to design a long-term safety test in humans."

Is that a joke?

"So long as the introduced protein is determined safe, food from GM crops determined to be substantially equivalent is not expected to pose any health risks"

How many ridiculous things can you fit into one sentence?

Throughout the show they also show a map of europe, and the countries that ban GM crops, and they're surrounded by countries that don't. Pollen blows in the wind and the wind doesn't stop at the borders.

A woman on the show goes on to to argue (for gm safety) that even the countries that ban the growing of gm crops have been buying gm produce/feed from the other countries, so they must be safe....

Of course they're buying the more plentiful, better priced stuff from the other countries, monsanto and the US and others have been choking them into the position in the first place

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

well, that's the free market for you, the 'invisible hand' deciding to kill a couple million people so the EU and Africa can be blackmailed. there is a reason why GM crops need these tactics to gain any foothold in countries where they still have a choice, namely the complete lack of convincing experiences (well, at least in the positive sense, that is). these crops are an old hat for crying out loud, Argentina, India, the US, Indonesia all have had their share of catastrophies and the only way to sell these things is finding new suckers who will let themselves be bankrupted and expelled by these cartels and their gov't backing.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

the bottom line is that GM crops do not deliver (feel free to correct me, though,) but that tidbit isn't all that relevant, IF and i mean really, IF people in power didn't like the concept of widespread famine, they wouldn't burn megatons of food every year for biofuel. the whole picture is always more interesting than the details.
=============================================================================

Originally posted by alaskan
Can you believe the moderators actually moved it to belowtopsecret.com the first time I posted it?

It's amazing that this website has grown to the size it has with people like this running it... not to mention the joke that is the search function

LOL

add the universal distraction system (token economy) to the list while you're at it. btw, search engines can fleece a website - much better than the inbuilt thing. oh btw, size doesn't matter, does it?
edit on 2011.1.1 by Long Lance because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
little bit more traction...

The London Guardian

Jan 3, 2011

The US embassy in Paris advised Washington to start a military-style trade war against any European Union country which opposed genetically modified (GM) crops, newly released WikiLeaks cables show.

In response to moves by France to ban a Monsanto GM corn variety in late 2007, the ambassador, Craig Stapleton, a friend and business partner of former US president George Bush, asked Washington to penalise the EU and particularly countries which did not support the use of GM crops.

“Country team Paris recommends that we calibrate a target retaliation list that causes some pain across the EU since this is a collective responsibility, but that also focuses in part on the worst culprits.

“The list should be measured rather than vicious and must be sustainable over the long term, since we should not expect an early victory. Moving to retaliation will make clear that the current path has real costs to EU interests and could help strengthen European pro-biotech voices,” said Stapleton, who with Bush co-owned the St Louis-based Texas Rangers baseball team in the 1990s.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
no guys, the leak doesnt add anything new

keep telling you that ...

its just amazing the level of corruption in this planet, at all levels, people dont care

and really, the more corrupted are the ones that are already rich, but for some reason, they need more money, its like a disease

new topics

top topics

join