It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High levels of chromium found in Chicago-area tap water

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   

High levels of chromium found in Chicago-area tap water

www.chicagotribune.com

Advocacy group reports level of cancer-causing metal is three times as high as considered safe under a California proposal.

The cancer-causing metal made infamous by the movie "Erin Brockovich" is turning up in tap water from Chicago and more than two dozen other cities, according to a new study that urges federal regulators to adopt tougher standards.

Even though scientists at the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and National Toxicology Program have linked the ingestion of hexavalent chromium to cancer, the EPA doesn't require Chicago or other cities to test for the toxic metal.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
This isn't the kind of thing I like to hear. Especially because I'm already all tinfoil hat about water and water conspiracies. This hits too close to home for me. I grew up in the city and went to college there. As of now I do not have Chicago water though.

Why isn't this better regulated, if it is not some sort of conspiracy? I mean it's something almost everyone in the city touches inevitably at one point or another, why can't they manage our water better? By "they" I mean the EPA and anyone else involved in water distribution/privatization, etc.

www.chicagotribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

ABC news

And it's not just Chicago either.

An environmental group that analyzed the drinking water in 35 cities across the United States, including Bethesda and Washington, found that most contained hexavalent chromium, a probable carcinogen that was made famous by the film "Erin Brockovich."

In the EWG study released today, 25 U.S. cities' water tested positive for levels of chromium-6 that are above California's proposed limit. The highest levels were found in Honolulu, Riverside, Calif., and Norman, Okla., where the water tested at 200 times the California target.

Bottle of water for sale in Chicago. A US environmental group has found that drinking water in 35 American cities contains hexavalent chromium, a probable carcinogen, The Washington Post reported Sunday. A US environmental group has found that drinking water in 35 American cities contains hexavalent chromium, a probable carcinogen, The Washington Post reported Sunday.

Washington Post, DC water

31 US Cities Water Found Carcinogen

PhysOrg
edit on 12/20/2010 by SpaceJ because: links

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
I dont want to add more tin to your hat but the reason they dont take better care of your water is because they dont want to.

What easier way to kill off half the population of earth to fit the Georgia guidestones than to poison the "fresh" water supply with sodium and the likes. Cancer is like an epidemic nowadays with people dying like flies from it. I myself lost both my parents and numerous uncles and aunts to cancer, and all died at around 48/50 years of age.

I guess they just feel that the more stuff they put in the water, the bigger the chance something nasty happens to someone and the bigger the diversity of the complaints will be, making it harder to make the connection to a common source.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

While HVC is indeed dangerous if inhaled, its not that dangerous when ingested.

As for Erin Brokovich .........

A California state study has not revealed elevated cancer levels in the town of Hinkley, a small desert community that inspired the award-winning Hollywood movie "Erin Brockovich" through its struggles with contaminated groundwater.

The California Cancer Registry has completed three studies on Hinkley, where a toxic plume of cancer-causing chromium 6 is once again growing. The studies found that cancer rates remained unremarkable from 1988 to 2008.

The results were first reported Monday by the Los Angeles Times.

Epidemiologist John W. Morgan says the 196 cases of cancer reported during the most recent survey of 1996 through 2008 were less than what he would expect based on demographics and the regional rate of cancer

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Its actualy very simple. It doesnt matter why this hasnt been addressed already. The priority at this point, ought to be making sure that now the situation is known, that it changes as soon as possible , for the better.
Another thing to mention is this. I have no idea how the water companies in the US operate, but its fair to assume I think that they are private enterprises , and not government departments. However, responsibility for regulating those companies IS a government responsibility. I would urge you to make your representation on this issue, find petitioners, or if you cannot find anyone currently running a petition, start one, and deliver it to your local representative.
Make sure that the government cannot get away from the story, and force them by weight of opinion, recorded, and petitioned opinion, to increase the regulatory systems thoroughness . After the problem has been dealt with in that manner, then go for the throat, get a good grip, and shake till everyone from the spanner wielders, to the directors of the companies responsible for allowing this crap to happen, bleed thier last cent into your gaping furious maw!
Just make sure the problem is fixed before you or anyone you work with on it, go to court. The health and well being of the people is more important than punishing corperations for thier misdeeds, and although that punishment must be metted out at some point, the most pressing issue is the need for an end to the danger.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike
reply to post by SpaceJ

While HVC is indeed dangerous if inhaled, its not that dangerous when ingested.

As for Erin Brokovich .........

A California state study has not revealed elevated cancer levels in the town of Hinkley, a small desert community that inspired the award-winning Hollywood movie "Erin Brockovich" through its struggles with contaminated groundwater.

The California Cancer Registry has completed three studies on Hinkley, where a toxic plume of cancer-causing chromium 6 is once again growing. The studies found that cancer rates remained unremarkable from 1988 to 2008.

The results were first reported Monday by the Los Angeles Times.

Epidemiologist John W. Morgan says the 196 cases of cancer reported during the most recent survey of 1996 through 2008 were less than what he would expect based on demographics and the regional rate of cancer

I don't know anything about HVC, other than seeing that movie years back, so I guess I'll look into this. Thanks for that link.

But, for me, this doesn't change anything about my views on water. Another suburb of the city of Chicago that I often visited for activities, shopping, visiting friends, the movies, etc, was indicted for KNOWINGLY letting the water supply go contaminated for years, and it shows a correlation with cancer.

Chicago is one of the biggest cities in the country, and it is well known for it's style of operation, something needs to be done to help fix our water problems. We have too many people living in the city water range to let this go.

The village who did the other thing I mentioned have not gotten the punishment they should have received, they were let off far too easy. I, or any of the other kids I grew up with drinking that known tainted water supply could pay the consequences later in life for their carelessness.

The most disgusting part about it was that it was all about one thing, and that is money.
edit on 12/20/2010 by SpaceJ because: fix

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

It also still begs the question of why is there ANY traces of unnecessary or non-beneficial metal types in our drinking water? We used to think lead wasn't harmful either, or fluoride in certain amounts. We all know where that went. I mean this is our water. It's everyone's water. It's the planet's water. Why must we contaminate anything we touch?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ
reply to post by SirMike

It also still begs the question of why is there ANY traces of unnecessary or non-beneficial metal types in our drinking water? We used to think lead wasn't harmful either, or fluoride in certain amounts. We all know where that went. I mean this is our water. It's everyone's water. It's the planet's water. Why must we contaminate anything we touch?

Aside from incidents where HVC has been introduce by humans it is also naturally occuring.

Chromium is present everywhere and can be found in three forms: metal ore,
trivalent chromium (Cr III), and hexavalent chromium (Cr VI). The trivalent form occurs naturally in many fresh
vegetables and fruits, meat, grains, and yeast. Relatively insoluble, it is the most prevalent form in
surface soils where oxidation processes (which convert chromium from the hexavalent to trivalent
form) are most common. Hexavalent chromium also occurs naturally, notably in water-saturated
(reducing) conditions, and it is an indicator of human pollution. This form is relatively soluble and
can move more readily through soil to groundwater. The concentration of naturally occurring
chromium in U.S. soil ranges from 1 to 2,000 parts per million (ppm), with an average of 54 ppm.
The concentration in sandy soil particles is estimated to be 70 times higher than in interstitial water (the water in the pore spaces between the particles), and concentration ratios are higher (e.g., 1,500) for clay soil. The typical ratio of chromium in plants to chromium in soil is estimated at 0.0045 (or 0.45%).

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Nobody cares about you...or your safety/health. It's ALL an I-L-L-U-S-I-O-N of "caring". What part don't YOU GET??? I'm not sure why people are so surprised at this. If 'they' cared....we'd all be LIVING OUR LIVES in peace/joy/love/prosperity! If 'they' cared...."they'd" stop LYING TO US...about EVERYTHING. If 'they' cared...we'd all be living longer. If 'they' cared...they'd stop spraying whatever "they're" spraying, above us. If 'they' cared...they'd tell us the truth regarding UFO's, religion, planet x, and how they handle business in DC. If 'they' cared, they would stop LYING TO US...and be real; once and for all!

Fact is, "they're" ALL a bunch of liars....ALL OF THEM! The only plans 'they' have, are for 'them' and 'them' alone. They don't care about you, yo' momma, yo' baby daddy, yo' aunt Shenanah or the rest of yo' fams. That's the FACT that Y'ALL need to settle in your hearts. 'THEY' DONT CARE ABOUT YOU! CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!!!!!!!

"They" dont care how you feed your children; how you pay the bills, you accumulate because of your lack of discipline; they don't care if you can't find a job, and are eyeballs deep in debt. "They" don't care if you can't pay your mortgage. You, sir/maam....are on this planet......ALONE...because 'THEY' don't care!

Sure, you have neighbors, but they dont give a rat's ass about you, either! And do you know why? Because 'they' have brainwashed people to hate, instead of love!

I know, i know...it's a sad reality...but...you'll get over it...and once you do....maybe you'll stop 'feeding' the hand that bites you.

The Bible says...."If a man does not WORK, neither shall they eat." *snip* Do you see something wrong with that picture, yet?

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 21-12-2010 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jamiejames

I'm not surprised BY IT. I'm no more surprised by it than I am surprised at your rudely worded post! Also you are using the word "they" far too generally for my liking. But that's okay, you have your opinion and I have mine. I just like being a little more specific.

I'm surprised by how little people care about it. I've always followed water conspiracies, I'm one of those people who scrupulously checks the testing papers the companies send yearly. I just can't understand why more people don't care about this. I've had many conversations with people I know personally, and very few of them seem to believe anything is wrong with our water. It's baffling.
edit on 12/20/2010 by SpaceJ because: eh

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   
from wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org...
only limited amounts of chromium(III) enter the cells. Several in vitro studies indicated that high concentrations of chromium(III) in the cell can lead to DNA damage.[2] Acute oral toxicity ranges between 1500 and 3300 µg/kg.[3] The proposed beneficial effects of chromium(III) and the use as dietary supplements yielded some controversial results.
The acute toxicity of chromium(VI) is due to its strong oxidational properties. After it reaches the blood stream, it damages the kidneys, the liver and blood cells through oxidation reactions. Hemolysis, renal and liver failure are the results of these damages. Aggressive dialysis can improve the situation.
As chromium compounds were used in dyes and paints and the tanning of leather, these compounds are often found in soil and groundwater at abandoned industrial sites, now needing environmental cleanup and remediation per the treatment of brownfield land. Primer paint containing hexavalent chromium is still widely used for aerospace and automobile refinishing applications.

ouch! DNA damage! that sound very bad.
some factory up stream is dumping it in the water.
Big bucks wins again.
and you die...

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jamiejames
Nobody cares about you...or your safety/health. It's ALL an I-L-L-U-S-I-O-N of "caring". What part don't YOU GET??? I'm not sure why people are so surprised at this. If 'they' cared....we'd all be LIVING OUR LIVES in peace/joy/love/prosperity! If 'they' cared...."they'd" stop LYING TO US...about EVERYTHING. If 'they' cared...we'd all be living longer. If 'they' cared...they'd stop spraying whatever "they're" spraying, above us. If 'they' cared...they'd tell us the truth regarding UFO's, religion, planet x, and how they handle business in DC. If 'they' cared, they would stop LYING TO US...and be real; once and for all!

Fact is, "they're" ALL a bunch of liars....ALL OF THEM! The only plans 'they' have, are for 'them' and 'them' alone. They don't care about you, yo' momma, yo' baby daddy, yo' aunt Shenanah or the rest of yo' fams. That's the FACT that Y'ALL need to settle in your hearts. 'THEY' DONT CARE ABOUT YOU! CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW!!!!!!!!

"They" dont care how you feed your children; how you pay the bills, you accumulate because of your lack of discipline; they don't care if you can't find a job, and are eyeballs deep in debt. "They" don't care if you can't pay your mortgage. You, sir/maam....are on this planet......ALONE...because 'THEY' don't care!

Who exactly is "they"? Many people here simply pass them off as "the elite" or "TPTB". Sure, some of "they" are corporate bigwigs looking to turn a profit at your expense and to hell with the contamination problems. But guess what? Some of the "they" are the little people who work for them and do their bidding. It might even be you. Maybe one of your relatives. The lowest on the totem pole are part of the corruption as well. They do as they are told in order to "keep their jobs". Some people are trained how to diplomatically lie. Some do things they are ordered to do, knowing that it is morally wrong and detrimental to their fellow man, but they do it anyway because their jobs are dependent on it and they rationalize their lack of moral fortitude.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Sure, you have neighbors, but they dont give a rat's ass about you, either! And do you know why? Because 'they' have brainwashed people to hate, instead of love!

I know, i know...it's a sad reality...but...you'll get over it...and once you do....maybe you'll stop 'feeding' the hand that bites you.

The Bible says...."If a man does not WORK, neither shall they eat." But, for some reason, 'those' lazy ufckers are eating LOVE-LY and your hard-working azz is starving! Do you see something wrong with that picture, yet?

Is that what happened to you, they brainwashed the love out of you? Did they also brainwash you into your style of writing, because reading this (even rereading it) felt like reading something someone wrote while having a really bad trip. I don't have an aunt Shenanah or a baby daddy either...

edit on 12/20/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

"They" are the 'elite', powers that be, 'the man', uncle sam, the feds, uuuuuuh who else???

What trips me out...is that you would even have to ask who 'they' are. It's the people you feed with your hard earned money. The people that say they work, but do nothing but scam, cheat, lie; while telling us to be good little boys and girls....OR ELSE!

What trips me out even further, is the fact that the majority of people...that say they're "awake", still feed into the matrix. They still get up, and go to work. Well, let me RE-PHRASE that....you still go to your J.O.B. everyday, eventhough 40% of your tax dollars goes to the military industrial complex.

Also, what bothers me, is the fact that the MAJORITY of people cry about the fouls on the field, by 'them'...yet continue to keep playing 'THEIR' game...while 'they' keep changing the rules to favor 'their' team!

People cried, bitched, and complained about the oil spill...and now that that's over and done with....i don't hear ANYONE crying about any of the damage that has yet to really be seen or has already been done.

Now, take this piece of advice, with a grain of salt......if you want to talk FACTS.......I'm game...but be warned...i'm not some kind of 'fly-by-night' truther...and i'm not some kind of NAIVE, "polly-wanna-cracker" newbie either. I'm a seasoned vet, who isnt easily fooled by this world's nonsense.

And, just so you know....i've been stalking ATS...for about a year or so...before i finally joined. Some of the crap the 'deny ignorance' people are spittin' brought me out of hiding.

The only way to get free is with TRUTH; and more times than not, the TRUTH HURTS...and most people can't 'handle the truth'! But, like Jesus said, 'THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE.'

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

I guess reading something longer than a sentence would seem like a really 'bad trip'. Sorry i forgot to add pictures. Let me guess....you work for 'them'? hahahahahah

And you know what, regarding the whole 'love' thing....let me CLUE YOU IN ON SOMETHING, cuz apparently you don't KNOW. When people 'LOVE' you, they tell you the truth. They don't tell you what you WANT TO HEAR...they tell you THE TRUTH....at all costs!!!

Now, i know your favorite 'reality shows' don't teach you that...and i'm sorry that Bill O'Reilly and co. didnt give you the 411 on what love IS and what it ISNT, but let me help you 'DENY IGNORANCE' by giving you some good literature to read:

(1Cor 13:4-7)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Oh, and just so you know....my life is wonderful....and i aint got a dime in my pocket! Do you know why...my life is wonderful? Because i am a slave to no one. I built my own house on land that i bought; i built my own business; i paid off my car, years ago...but have been riding my bike for the past year. I dont have a credit card, i don't have any debt. I eat to live and i dont live to eat! I dont have a cell phone, dont watch tv....heck, i even let my drivers license expire...considering i have 'THE RIGHT TO TRAVEL'...AND MY D.L. TAKES AWAY THAT RIGHT. Uhm, what else......oh yeah, and i'm prepared for 2012......JUST IN CASE!

See, i learned my lesson...on Sept, eleventh, two thousand and 1. When i woke up...i STAYED AWAKE.....I didnt go back to sleep...like MOST of you!

Have a nice day...or should i say, 'SWEET DREAMS'. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

reply to post by SpaceJ

I guess reading something longer than a sentence would seem like a really 'bad trip'. Sorry i forgot to add pictures. Let me guess....you work for 'them'? hahahahahah

And you know what, regarding the whole 'love' thing....let me CLUE YOU IN ON SOMETHING, cuz apparently you don't KNOW. When people 'LOVE' you, they tell you the truth. They don't tell you what you WANT TO HEAR...they tell you THE TRUTH....at all costs!!!

Now, i know your favorite 'reality shows' don't teach you that...and i'm sorry that Bill O'Reilly and co. didnt give you the 411 on what love IS and what it ISNT, but let me help you 'DENY IGNORANCE' by giving you some good literature to read:

(1Cor 13:4-7)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Oh, and just so you know....my life is wonderful....and i aint got a dime in my pocket! Do you know why...my life is wonderful? Because i am a slave to no one. I built my own house on land that i bought; i built my own business; i paid off my car, years ago...but have been riding my bike for the past year. I dont have a credit card, i don't have any debt. I eat to live and i dont live to eat! I dont have a cell phone, dont watch tv....heck, i even let my drivers license expire...considering i have 'THE RIGHT TO TRAVEL'...AND MY D.L. TAKES AWAY THAT RIGHT. Uhm, what else......oh yeah, and i'm prepared for 2012......JUST IN CASE!

See, i learned my lesson...on Sept, eleventh, two thousand and 1. When i woke up...i STAYED AWAKE.....I didnt go back to sleep...like MOST of you!

Have a nice day...or should i say, 'SWEET DREAMS'. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Why yes, JJ! I'd love some pictures to go with my reality TV while I sit my fat self on a couch with aunt Shenanah and my twenty babies (don't worry they are all from the same daddy!) and eat potato chips for dinner so I can then go to work to feed the hand that gives me potato chips. JJ, don't you see how the speech you are using comes across? Why, why promote such stereotypical thoughts???

I'm a photographer, I enjoy pictorials. Does that make me any less intelligent? If your answer is yes, then that says it all.

Rude people like you with no respect for anyone is another cause of the problems the world has. I can obviously read. But your post sounded like your thoughts are racing too fast for your own good. I just prefer to read rational things that actually make sense.

You think anyone is going to listen to you when you come at them like that? Is ranting and raving in an extremely condescending tone really going to help anything? If you want to help people be aware, then try talking to them like they are an equal, not like they are inferior to you.

In getting all of those priorities straight, it seems that you've left common decency and communication skills at the door. At least you remembered to grab that tinfoil hat. I just hope for your sake that it fits on top of your enormous ego! Can't you find somewhere else to troll?
edit on 12/21/2010 by SpaceJ because: cat picture interjection

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
More info on story:

In the Chicago area, the amount of hexavalent chromium is three times higher than a safety limit that was proposed by officials in California last year.

Other cities where the amount of chromium in drinking water was significantly higher than the proposed limit in California are Norman, Oklahoma; Honolulu; Riverside, California; and Madison, Wisconsin. The levels of hexavalent chromium in the drinking water in Milwaukee were the same as that of Chicago, while levels in Los Angeles and Atlanta were at 0.20 parts per billion. Levels in New York and Boston were 0.18 and 0.03 parts per billion, respectively.

Rebecca Sutton, a senior scientist with the Environmental Working Group, said: “For years, scientists assumed this wasn’t a problem because acids in our stomachs can convert chromium-6 into chromium-3, an essential nutrient.” Chromium-6 is also known as hexavalent chromium.

Sutton went on to say: “Newer science is showing our stomachs can’t take care of everything, which means the dangerous form of chromium is getting into our bodies and can cause damage.”

link to article

In NTP 2-year studies, hexavalent chromium (Cr(VI)) administered in drinking water was clearly carcinogenic in male and female rats and mice, resulting in small intestine epithelial neoplasms in mice at a dose equivalent to or within an order of magnitude of doses that could result from consumption of chromium-contaminated drinking water, assuming that dose scales by body weight3/4.

In contrast, exposure to trivalent chromium (Cr(III)) at much higher concentrations may have been carcinogenic in male rats, but was not carcinogenic in mice or female rats.

Oxford Journals - Exposure to Hexavalent Chromium Resulted in Significantly Higher Tissue Chromium Burden Compared to Trivalent Chromium Following Similar Oral Doses to Male F344/N Rats and Female B6C3F1 Mice

edit on 12/21/2010 by SpaceJ because: links

new topics

top topics

join