It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KOREA WAR IMMINENT .. S Korea 'to hold' live-fire drills

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
"North Korea 'will not hit back' over Yeonpyeong drill"

"North Korea says it will not retaliate despite "reckless provocations" from the South, which held live-fire drills on the flashpoint island of Yeonpyeong.

The North shelled the island last month after similar drills and had threatened more retaliation this time.

But state media quoted the army as saying it was "not worth reacting"."

www.bbc.co.uk...

No war tomorrow i'm afraid.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Nothing happened. North Korea was bluffing, again.

This type of propaganda is intended for its own citizens.

The North Korean state media probably told everyone that South Korea backed off.

We know North Korea has nukes. Not very good ones. If they tried to use them, the US would demolish them within minutes.

So it's a case of how much North Korea can troll people, before someone decides to intervene and break up this 50-year death cult.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
The Korea's would be a bloody war.
The North Koreans troops would have to go across the Imjim River,
and would be sitting ducks.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Concept X
"North Korea 'will not hit back' over Yeonpyeong drill"

"North Korea says it will not retaliate despite "reckless provocations" from the South, which held live-fire drills on the flashpoint island of Yeonpyeong.

The North shelled the island last month after similar drills and had threatened more retaliation this time.

But state media quoted the army as saying it was "not worth reacting"."

www.bbc.co.uk...

No war tomorrow i'm afraid.

I was right, in the first page I said they won't attack.

Nice one Slayer, that face palm was uncalled for

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Most believed North Korea when they said they would attack and now, most believe them when they say the wont attack. I must admit that I am a little confused. I understood that all of North Korea was on alert, as well as it should have been considering the harsh overtones, but Kim loses face nationally and internationally? Nobody should be patting themselves on the back just yet, things are very unsettled as of this moment.
The only thing I can figure is that China has pulled their support behind closed doors and left Kim hanging, otherwise we might be in for a big surprise. As of now, Kim has accomplished none of his objectives... zero. Something just doesn't sit right.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Those who think North Korea is doing anything more than blowing smoke for it's own people have no idea how that country works, and are insanely ignorant about the whole region. Sorry to be so blunt. I just think it is funny reading ATS'ers falling for some nutjobs propaganda not even intended for them.....but what's new?

That area will be tit-for-tat bs for about one half a generation then north korea will start to look more and more like China, which will be a good step in the right direction.

I wont bother with another ignorant and alarmist thread on here about "imminent" war between the Korea's.....it is hard to discuss it seriously with the shear amount of ignorance one has to wade through every five minutes in a thread like this.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
If I had a nickle for every time one of these posts has popped up in the last 4 years....
One day it may come true. Right now, you could push N.Korea over with a feather.
They can't even feed their own troops.
The N.Korean people would welcome an invasion - that's how horrible it is there.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I am relieved that nothing happened, but I didn’t really think it would ultimately. Here’s why.

North Korea is isolated, its people starving. The only people in North Korea who routinely eat meat are those in the military, and the ruling elite. Their conventional military hardware is decades behind other powers in the region, their intermediate range missile programs and early nuclear capabilities notwithstanding. China is unlikely to support North Korea if it sparks conflict with South Korea, much less Japan or the United States. Some clandestine material support and intelligence would likely be the extent of their assistance rendered to the DPRK.

If and when North Korea attacks full on, in my opinion - and based on the publicly available OPLANs we have in place for such a contingency - it will be as the last death throws of a desperate, dying dictatorship. It would be tragic, bloody, and costly, but it would seal North Korea's fate. Kim knows this. His generals know this.

A full-on attack by North Korea would likely entail use of their highly concentrated artillery. With it, they could conceivably level much of Seoul within hours. South Korea and the U.S. would respond with air strikes, but it would take time to decimate their emplacements, and in that time many would die. Because of Korea's topography, any advance across the DMZ by North Korea would require them to cross rivers and move armor and infantry through narrow mountain passes which would be ideal killing zones for air power. There is some concern that they could launch a limited, one-time missile attack on the South by submarine, but their capability to do this and the impact it would have are in doubt. DPRK would be utterly dismantled and annihilated as a regime by the end of the conflict.

Some scenarios envision 500,000 casualties (and some up to one million,) most of them in North Korea. This is a conflict I hope to never see unfold. The new concessions by the North suggest to me the possibility that this threat of destruction was brought home to them through diplomatic channels, and convinced them to lessen their rhetoric. This further suggests to me that a simple matter of pride and tit for tat escalation is not what is going to bring the two Koreas to open warfare. In my opinion, it will require that North Korea be truly desperate, without (in its mind) recourse, and/or for Kim to feel that his rule is under direct, internal threat.

That's just my non-professional, layman's opinion, though.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
What kind of a drill just last 90min ..
usualy its a few days
SK backed down quickly or was it NK who backed down ... its fishy once again

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:18 AM
link   

N. Korea offers no retaliation for drill, agrees to measures

Source:CNN

Come on chill out with the fear mongering.

What's up with that headline mate, this isn't the tabloids?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:01 AM
link   
And just after some highly strung individual put this post up Nth Korea say they wont.

Just about every post on ATS can be debunked firstly with the paranoia reason and then with many others.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by oozyism

If you're expecting them to attack un-expectedly;
Then its not un-expected anymore now is it? :p

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

Korea has been fighting now longer that I have Years on the Clock. There all Chineese, what's the problem.
Does one side have a better view than the other one?
Does one side have better toilets than the other one?
And China given half a chance would slap both of them silly, and there Chineese as well !

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by METACOMET

I've always said that nukes would be first strike necessity by SK. In the event of war, NK will likely start with an assault barrage to soften up resistance. After a suitable amount of time, human waves supported by tanks.

Nukes will have to be used against NK or (God forbid) China. There isn't enough manpower or hardware otherwise...

Thank you Walmart! You helped kill US industry and fatten the pockets of our enemy!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
What i don't get is this...

If i recall last year? Maybe the year before? Didn't NK try to launch a rocket to space, and couldn't even accomplish that? Why should anyone even be worried? They can't launch a damn rocket into space, they are just technological noobs.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by doom27

Yeah, space IS a mighty big target for them to miss, isn't it?

Seems like they should just be able to point "up" from anywhere and hit it.

Sort of like not being able to hit the broad side of a barn - from the inside!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join