It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wireless carriers openly considering charging per service

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Wireless carriers openly considering charging per service

www.engadget.com

it describes a system that identifies customer internet activity and charges a different rate for using Facebook than watching YouTube, while allowing access to Vodafone services for free. Yes, that's basically the nightmare scenario for net neutrality advocates. The two companies behind the slide are Allot Communications and Openet, which sell subscriber-management tools to carriers around the world -- tools that Allot's director of marketing says can scan even encrypted packets to determine what service customers are using and charge accordingly
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Well, its starting. Companies railed against net neutrality, got plenty of politicians, and of course its no suprise that they are kicking around subscription plans for websites..

Say goodbye to insignificant websites, like ATS, if such measures are enacted..

So...last person to leave the free neutral internet, please turn off the lights.

www.engadget.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Is there anything that actually forces companies to follow along with this even though they could?

I just wonder because surely someone smart will just set up a service that charges a flat fee like now and kill the competition? It's not as if it's not a profitable business now

Just a thought

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   

So...which packages will you choose then for your corporate sponsored internet subscription package?

Net neutrality, or we all go back to sleep!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I promise you this the customer will have the last word on it.

They start doing this I will cancel all my services and they can kiss my ass....

We could shove a boycott up their nose so quick they wouldn't be able to breath..

This stuff makes me puke...
edit on 19-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

Is there anything that actually forces companies to follow along with this even though they could?

I just wonder because surely someone smart will just set up a service that charges a flat fee like now and kill the competition? It's not as if it's not a profitable business now

Just a thought

The ones planning this own your signal basically...they ultimately will just stop all traffic except for what you are paying for
Currently, net neutrality does not allow them to do this..which is of course why suddenly some right wing facists have been trying to topple the net neutrality law (corporate owned jacktard politicians).

The worrying thing is that now major providers are openly coming up with ideas on how to implement it once NN is kicked away.

Version, Google, etc.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by thecinic
I promise you this the customer will have the last word on this.

They start doing this I will cancel all my services and they can kiss my ass....

We could shove a boycott up there nose so quick they wouldn't be able to breath..

This stuff makes me puke...

Problem is, when the biggest services are holding hands to enforce this, it actually is time to worry. these giants killed off the mom and pop providers long ago, now they just need to get some pesky law removed and bam, total control over content...content for the rich (well...the not poor anyhow). removal of all these tiny online businesses..
there is a ton of money in it for clamping down on the net..and the giants are poised for just this.

Net neutrality should literally be a grab the torches and storm the palace when they try to remove it type situation. The internet is the only thing that gives voice to the common people in a world of corporations and elite

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Well most people probally would not stand up against them and cancel their service all around..

I'm sure they would get the message 5 million customers cancel on them for doing it.......

Now me one person is doable but getting 5 million would be a task..

The rich people/ people with expendable cash will be able to afford it..

Your regular joe will not...
edit on 19-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
It's not only going to effect small sites though I wouldn't have thought.
The whole of the internet is more or less based on the content being free, I can't think of many sites that are really useful or well put together enough for me to pay extra to look at especially if it only effects wireless.

So a LOT of sites (even the big ones) will be losing any business that they could of got out of me, I'm sure not going to pay extra to look at amazon / ebay if the only reason to buy things from it is to save money.
I won't be reading reviews and things on the net either because I use this stuff because it's free, if it's not then I'll go buy a magazine that employs people that can actually write
edit on 19-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:03 PM
link   

I live on my computer and ATS and you tube.
Take those three things from me and I will go
into withdrawl.
Take these things from me and I would have
to find other things to occupy my time.My house
would be cleaner and I would be cooking more.
I already pay enough for my internet service
and I don't want to be limited on what sites I can
view!
edit on 19-12-2010 by mamabeth because: changed my mind

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
To be honest ... if my ability to the surf the net became limited to the websites provided by 'x' package or 'y' package, I literally wouldn't bother any more. I'd cancel my broadband, keep my phone and mobile, and go back to where I was in 1998 when I first went online.

I have enough games, books, DVD's, and outside interests to miss the net very little... I don't do Facebook, etc... My online presence consists of selling on Ebay, running my own online art shop, ATS, and running a private members Sci-Fi forum.

I can live without any/all of them

P.S.... I do enjoy shopping on amazon, etc... but I can quite happily go back to browsing bookstores and music shops, like the old days.

I absolutely REFUSE to have a company I'm paying good money to, both limit my browsing and/or force me to only be able to visit certain sites.

Screw them, if that's their plan

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I think YouTube is a very good example.

Watching 5 second poor quality video clips of people falling over and kittens in a basket is fine if it's free, Paying to watch it though is an entirely different matter, I doubt you would find many takers, I have cats at home that I can put in a basket for nothing.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I am intrigued by the de facto view on NN stated here. I am willing to admit that I am not entirely informed on the topic, so if fellow posters could direct me to the information that brought you to this unanimous conclusion, it would be appreciated greatly.

My view lies with the human spirit. I feel that the move toward this above mentioned package deal / heavily regulated and gateway oriented internet will be attempted, I would like to mention that it already has happened in the past and failed.

When the internet first became widespread, some users may remember the craze that ensued with companies trying to create, manage and market gateway sites. Google obviously came out on top, with others like Yahoo struggling. Google has attempted to censor content in the past, restrict access to content and delete content. Every attempt has been an utter failure. Freedom can only flourish when we demand it. To give control of any form of freedom to the government is a trainwreck at best.

So if this type of package deal becomes common, people will opt-out of the internet enmasse and companies will be forced to revert, unless control is given to a federal regulating agency/bureau. If this can be allowed, then the loss of revenue will be offset the way every government run company manages, tax dollars.

What am I missing, do tell, my ears and eyes are open.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well, back to mooching wi-fi off the neighbors and using the coffee shops and other local wi-fi spots.
Glad I have a netbook...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Seriously? I mean, seriously? This just disgusts me. People will do anything for a buck, politicials and corporations will do everything for a buck.

Like another poster said, if they start doing this my subscription will be canceled which is sad, because I operate a couple of forums which will go the way of the Dodo.

Ugh, the so called "modern" world sickens me.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Impossible!

The nerds of WoW, CoD, CS, and Starcraft will unite with the Myspace whores and Facebook trolls to create the largest protest organization ever known to mankind that will save the Internet from tyranny for all to use. Kinda like Fight Club, except online and the people are even more schizo. Hundreds of millions of people from around the world will join in to affectively boycott the Internet tax which will bring the idiotic companies head's to their keyboards faster than a LAN party.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I'll sign up for the ATS package and cut all that other $h1^ off.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
This idea scares me. Not because of how this will cripple the Internet but because of how violent people may get if this is implemented in a bs way.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
My grandma always ages herself by saying things like, "I remember when it was only a nickel to see a movie." It's sad to think that one day I could be saying things like, "I remember when the internet and its content was free." I hope that people don't go along with this but with the way things are going it almost seems inevitable. I won't be silent, I'll fight for whats right.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

OK,

Let me fill you in on something.. Net Neutrality REGULATION has been hijacked by the Telcos. Keep the internet as it is. IF some company does this, simply switch to the competition. And yes, the competition will laugh all the way to the bank if other carriers do this.

REGULATION will do exactly what you are fearing and that is FORCE the competition into a regulated bubble in which they will NOT be allowed to undercut the TELCOs.

“The telcos hired a ton of high-power lobbyists to cover net neutrality­, including eighteen former members of Congress. And, despite arguing for years that net neutrality was evil, the telcos "miraculou­sly" admitted last month they "might agree" to regulation­s... just as long as they got to write the details

Given that, there was a lot of outrage last month for a series of secret meetings between telco/cabl­e execs and the FCC. You would think that, given the public beating the FCC got over those meetings it would know better than to hold more. No such luck. Apparently they're right back at it.” The NEW "net neutrality­" legislatio­n is a big win for special interests if they can get it passed, it will do exactly the opposite of what it's original intention was. The Big Telcos have hired an army of lobbyist which include 18 former members of congress to lobby for their "NEW" Net Neutrality laws that "They" get to write. BAIT & SWITCH!

Leave the internet alone... It is not broken. When they get done with this, all of your biggest fears will be written into the regulation against you.

FCC Ignores Criticism Over Lack Of Transparen­cy; Negotiates Net Neutrality Behind Closed Doors With Industry Execs:

www.techdirt.com...

www.techdirt.com...

www.dslreports.com...

www.dslreports.com...

www.techdirt.com...

www.techdirt.com...

edit on 19-12-2010 by infolurker because: added links

top topics

<<   2 >>

join