It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the Origin of Atheism

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Last post before I go to sleep
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Atheists wouldn't have anything to call itself without believers, therefore it has its roots in Satanism....

That isn't a logical chain. You just randomly introduced a conclusion from a single premise

Believers yes... believers in the truth and God.

Ignoring yes...ignoring that I just pointed out that you didn't create a logical chain.

very logical, that is why atheism is based in Belief and not knowledge as Agnosticism is.

...wow, so you just parroted a malformed version of something I described to you. Atheism isn't based in belief, it's an absence of belief. Agnosticism is an absence of knowledge.

So again, where is the logical chain in the above statement?

Atheism is anti-belief in the truth, which is evil, which is Satan.

No, atheism is a lack of belief in all theistic claims. You've yet to provide any evidence that your specific claim is the truth.

Agnostics are cooler ! they just don't understand they can know the truth but it does not come necessarily via 'knowing' there is another method not explored much by science and it is called 'feeling'

...no, feeling is something that's based upon neurochemical responses to stimuli. It isn't a way to gather any truth. If it were, science would be out of a job.

Atheists are Satanist !

No, atheists are atheists and satanists are satanists. They are both mutually exclusive. You cannot be an atheistic satanist nor a satanic atheist.

At least this last bit lets me know that you're not listening to reason whatsoever. Now I don't feel bad if I don't convince you, because you're not here to have an actual discussion. You're here to be a bigot.

Yep, like sound. Or smells. Or touches. Or tastes. Or that which you can observe with a scanning electron microscope. Or ultraviolet light, hell the majority of the EM spectrum.

explain to me what Love is then...

Love is a neurochemical reaction that occurs when certain stimuli are met. It helps in forming social groups and reinforcing romantic couplings.

My point is proven,

No, not a single point you've made since you crashed in to either O&C or this forum has been proven. You've yet to provide an iota of evidence for even your smallest claim.

even if you try to use science to define 'feelings' you still can not explain their origin by observing animals.

Yes, we can. We can explain human feelings through the observation of humans (an animal, unless you think we're plants), our close relatives like chimps (which have recently been observed treating sticks like dolls oddly enough), and other primates.

who would want to try to explain it anyway ? it is better to feel it and live it...

Who would want to explain it? The neuroscientists. They're the ones that are trying to fix things like...brain damage...and brain degeneration. Understanding the neurochemical processes involved with emotion is helpful in this.

the evildoers

BIGOTRY!

may go back to your allotted sections now

SEGREGATION!

and try your indoctrination on someone else...

LYING!

if you can not tell it is not going to work on me.

IMPENETRABILITY TO REASON!

still I know you guys love me, heck I love ya'll too

also you may try studying up on this fella a little bit...

en.wikipedia.org...

William Tyndale - (the Architect of the English language)

I'm familiar with him. I did study English. Hell, I teach the language. And he wasn't the architect so much as he was the guy who translated a Bible into English.

so that you may better 'know' etymology and where alot of your language itself comes from.

I know etymology quite well. I do actually teach the English language over summers. As in, I get paid to do so. I can recognize the roots of words without looking them up a pretty decent portion of the time.

Of course, you're just trying to make a point that the Bible (which you admit you haven't read, which I admit to having read thrice) is the source of the English language when it really isn't.

Or that which you can observe with a scanning electron microscope. Or ultraviolet light, hell the majority of the EM spectrum.

yes but these are things one can see... even after you see them there is still more isn't there ?

...we cannot see the majority of the EM spectrum. We can see representations of it. We can use machines to represent it in a way our eyes can understand it...but we can't see it ourselves.

Science will not answer the question you are trying to understand but it is a tool... once you get to a certain point then there is revelation.

No, science will answer every single question I have about the natural world.

unless one can actually see nothingness !

If you understood how sight works you wouldn't have thrown out such a silly non-sequitur.
edit on 20/12/10 by madnessinmysoul because: Formatting

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Now the antichrist has a name for their lifestyle. Atheîsm. We have much more faith than you realize. Darkened souls. NEver had a punch right do ya.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

Originally posted by etherical waterwave
Now the antichrist has a name for their lifestyle. Atheîsm.

We're not 'antichrist', we're not even necessarily 'anti-religion'. We just don't believe.

We have much more faith than you realize.

Um...since when are we claiming you don't have any faith or that your faith is lacking in any way. We just don't think that the faith is well placed.

Darkened souls. NEver had a punch right do ya.

Um...I don't believe I have a soul. And I don't understand what that last sentence means.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Now the antichrist has a name for their lifestyle. Atheîsm. We have much more faith than you realize. Darkened souls. NEver had a punch right do ya.

Nothing like being called the antichrist just before Xmas by a group of judgemental pseudo-Christians.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

Nothing like being called the antichrist just before Xmas by a group of judgemental pseudo-Christians.

if the evildoers would have a little respect and not lash out first and at anyone who will not join them in their evil ways it might have been a different story.

not everyone is totally benign. some must have taken what they read of our book way too literally.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Let's take a nap.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ

if the evildoers...

Thx for proving my case

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

if the evildoers

Please show me, using reason and evidence, that any of the atheists that have participated in this thread are evildoers.

would have a little respect

Show how we're being disrespectful.
Oh, and it's a bit hypocritical coming from the person saying we're satanic, drug-abusing, evildoers under the age of 18 with bones through our noses.

and not lash out first

Demonstrate us lashing out.

and at anyone who will not join them in their evil ways it might have been a different story.

Demonstrate that we have evil ways.

not everyone is totally benign. some must have taken what they read of our book way too literally.

Says the person who hasn't read it. Read it, that Jesus guy has some good stuff to say about hypocrites.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Madnessinmysoul, I have the feeling you are not atheistic. I sense a caring individual. Don't worry. You'll overcome what's needed.

Sincerity saves us all.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Madnessinmysoul, I have the feeling you are not atheistic. I sense a caring individual. Don't worry. You'll overcome what's needed.

Sincerity saves us all.

So only believers can be caring? Wow, you really have to come down from your high horse and look at reality

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
How could atheism be founded? Atheism is not a religion or an ideology, atheism is the default state of thought.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I stopped after the first paragraph, Atheism is not an organized religion or an idea which someone sprang upon the masses one day. It is simply the absence of theism / religion.

It is akin to taking a monkey and placing a hat on his head, eventually alot of the other monkeys like the the hats and begin to wear them. Then one day far into the future one of these monkeys sees some of the other monkeys and they are not wearing hats and wonders how that trend started.

Any talk of the origins of "mainstream" atheism or other nonsense is mute. Atheism can not be organized or have a set of base rules / beliefs because it would then cease to be Atheism and become Theism.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 11:48 PM
link   

The first human beings were likely atheists because the idea of gods didn't exist yet.

So it would seem Atheism does have its roots in Satanism...

You're just being willfully ignorant and aggravating on purpose. Classic troll behavior here especially the purposefully inflammatory claims. Atheism predates the idea of a monotheistic god, there were likely atheists in Sumeria, the first big civilization we humans had, and there definitely wasn't a such thing as Satanism back then.

edit on 22-12-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull

The first human beings were likely atheists because the idea of gods didn't exist yet.

the face of our loving parents are God and Love to us when we are infants looking up from the crib... otherwise we would have never made it, did prehistoric man just abandon their babies or let them fend for themselves from childbirth like alot of animals do ?

I am surprised alot of people have not seen this documentary...

"Why Dogs Smile and Chimpanzees Cry"

very sobering and also gives a little info on infant facial recognition.

Elephants will not abandon their young either... they Love them !

edit on 12/23/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

I am surprised alot of people have not seen this documentary...

"Why Dogs Smile and Chimpanzees Cry"

I'll answer that for you without even clicking. Mammals tend to live in groups, we tend to be social animals. We also tend to have bigger brains with a better capacity for empathy and emotion which helps when it comes to living in groups. That's why human beings rarely abandon their children like some other species do.

I'm curious as to what that has to do with atheism though.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
I'm curious as to what that has to do with atheism though.

I guess the animals who would eat their young could be considered to some as Atheist...

great video, I would not over look it... there are other documentaries also dealing with our perceptions of a "Higher Being" it is a (natural) thing.

I will find the video and videos dealing with it for you soon...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I guess the animals who would eat their young could be considered to some as Atheist...

In some sense yes because all animals, except human beings, lack the capability to hold a belief in god. Babies are atheists in the same sense, they lack belief in god because they are not yet capable to hold one. However you must also accept that there are plenty of animals who do not eat their own young who also count as atheists

I will find the video and videos dealing with it for you soon...

I'm not interested in youtube videos, I would prefer you merely paraphrase or reiterate the video is about. I'd much prefer having an actual discussion than just watching youtube videos and trying to offer rebuttal to claims that are not your own.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
even if science was to reveal God the self proclaimed Atheist would not even believe it !

that my friend is the ignorance of the Atheist...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

that is not just any youtube video... it is an authentic documentary narrated by Sigourney Weaver.

as I have said keep an open mind, if you can watch that video and not have a comment about it then there is no use further discussing with you in particular.

Here is "your science" and there is "my God"

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

that is not just any youtube video... it is an authentic documentary narrated by Sigourney Weaver.

There are also documentaries about nazi UFOs and Nostradamus, the fact its in documentary format doesn't make it legitimate.

Why don't you sum up the points it makes for me? What's it about and how does it support your position? What exactly is the position you're defending here again? I mean I know in the OP you make the claim that atheist originate with Satanism, I have some doubt that that is what the documentary is about.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join