It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the Origin of Atheism

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Atheism is growing strong (as is evident by the decreasing number of believers) because science is able to explain a lot of concepts that have previously been attributed to a deity...

People used to believe comets were a sign of god, or that we came from Adam and Eve, or that something like a talking snake exists, or that there's some super deity looking like an Elephant with multiple arms, or that there was a silly global flood, or that a guy survived in a whale, or that the earth is flat...but science was able to debunk all those things. As scientific progress advances more rapidly than ever before, due to the fact that in many countries like the US science isn't being hindered by religions/political doctrines anymore, the number of atheists will grow even further.

In a few years (dozens/hundreds) many religions will have to make the transition to being a religion not based on a personal deity and not based on the literal interpretation of their scriptures...or die out. There's still people who don't accept evolution as the solid theory it is...but they're willing to accept gravity, circuitry (the very thing that allows them to post here), and a ton of other theories that have just as much evidence as evolution. It'll take time to educate those people and make them accept facts again, because they've been brainwashed by years of religion.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Two men were arguing about God.
1st: How did we get here?
2nd: Evolution
1st: How did this world get here?
2nd: Cosmic chance and the explosion of a star.
1st: How did the star get there?
2nd: Other stars in the galaxy via explosions or nebulae.
1st: How did our galaxy get here?
2nd: Big bang.
1st: How did the big bang start?
2nd: I dont know... or membranes bumping into each other
1st: How did the membranes get there?
2nd: ......

Funny how science always tries to solve the answers they say religion cant.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Camtheconspiracyman
Two men were arguing about God.
1st: How did we get here?
2nd: Evolution
1st: How did this world get here?
2nd: Cosmic chance and the explosion of a star.
1st: How did the star get there?
2nd: Other stars in the galaxy via explosions or nebulae.
1st: How did our galaxy get here?
2nd: Big bang.
1st: How did the big bang start?
2nd: I dont know... or membranes bumping into each other
1st: How did the membranes get there?
2nd: ......

Funny how science always tries to solve the answers they say religion cant.

1) Evolution makes NO statements about the origins of life.
2) No scientist would say "cosmic chance"

3) Nebulae don't explode...
4) "We don't know" is something scientist say a lot...before trying to solve the problem.

At least science isn't dumbing something as complex as the origin of the universe like religion does just to make it "simple" enough for every idiot to understand...and so they can control them like drones.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

So basically
1) Science still cant answer how we got here.
2)Im sorry what DO they call it nowadays
3)I did not say nebulae explode. I said an exploding star or a nebulae (which in science means it's collapsing to be dense enough to ignite)
4)And when that answer pops up another is created.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
Before society as we know it there would have been a time where we as humans Knew of no god,

actually before society as we know it there was no science, God was there and the stars lit our way and we had no reason to fear the night... it was the only thing we knew besides the darkness of night, for the stars in the night sky were the only thing that kept us from total darkness.

I think I got that from Cosmos by Carl Sagan (the part about the stars anyway)
edit on 12/19/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Atheism is growing strong (as is evident by the decreasing number of believers)

Atheism is totally Boring ! and as I see it and have read there has been a resurgence of faith specially these past number of years. All these Mega Churches popping up... that's something quite new and they still can't hold all the masses that are influxing.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

If atheism is so boring why on earth have you spent tha last week of your life talking about it?

If Christianity is so interesting how come you don't even know the nativity? The single most well know bit of the bible in the entire world?
Why didn't you spend the last week reading the bible instead of talking about "boring" atheism?

Edit to add
As long as we are quoting Carl Sagan here

A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.

edit on 19-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners

If atheism is so boring why on earth have you spent tha last week of your life talking about it?

well now that is just a great big mystery isn't it ?

I think you birds that flock together may already know the answer, look within yourselves.

Mega Church in Seoul
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c052f348d08f.jpg[/atsimg]

random image from Google
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/cbf56895c2cf.jpg[/atsimg]

I am glad I have such a large family...

edit on 12/19/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

well now that is just a great big mystery now isn't it ? I think you birds that flock together may already know the answer, look within yourselves.

What does that actually mean?
Could you actually answer the question using a sentence?

I doubt if many of the people in those pictures would have much respect for someone who hasn't even read the bible but feels they have the right to lecture people about religion
edit on 19-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:26 PM
link   

What does that actually mean?

it means Atheists are not very nice people

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   

I doubt if many of the people in those pictures would have much respect for someone who hasn't even read the bible but feels they have the right to lecture people about religion

Have I been lecturing or have you just pinned that on me ? I do not know the Bible well enough to lecture it yet.

Gotta love that Seoul pic though, I think the caption said 1.5 million attendees.

We know our own well enough, I could walk up to any one of these people worldwide and hug them because we share something we know in our hearts.

You are more than welcome to this family too, it is not personal and does not belong to anyone but God.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Atheism is growing strong (as is evident by the decreasing number of believers)

Atheism is totally Boring ! and as I see it and have read there has been a resurgence of faith specially these past number of years. All these Mega Churches popping up... that's something quite new and they still can't hold all the masses that are influxing.

Well, you might BELIVE the numbers have been increasing...but Gallup did a huge study and found out that the number of people who believe in god dropped by almost 10% since 2000. Like with everything you post, you might wanna check the facts before posting

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Camtheconspiracyman
reply to post by MrXYZ

So basically
1) Science still cant answer how we got here.
2)Im sorry what DO they call it nowadays
3)I did not say nebulae explode. I said an exploding star or a nebulae (which in science means it's collapsing to be dense enough to ignite)
4)And when that answer pops up another is created.

The difference is, science can admit to not knowing something...religion fills gaps in knowledge with mythical magic and super beings

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:23 AM
link   
God told us not to murder, when he says to murder one must think there was a commandment about not murdering. Then one must say this. Then he will understand.

dzzjzjjii

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Atheists claim there is no god. Aren't they antichristians in life?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

I'm pretty sure that study was done in america. And it's true less and less americans belive in god . But globally the faith is growing. If you have proof otherwise cite the source.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Megachurch

Globally, these large congregations are a significant development in Protestant Christianity. While generally associated with the United States, the phenomenon has spread worldwide. In 2007, five of the ten largest Protestant churches were in South Korea.[5] Most megachurches tend to be evangelical or Pentecostal, and are often semi-independent from the major Christian denominations

from Wiki even...

I am sure if I studied this phenomenon even further to find out how recently they are springing up the dates will show a different proof.
edit on 12/20/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Still doesn't change the fact that in the US the number of believers is shrinking...even the mega churches (which btw make me puke given what some of the preachers preach) can't change that

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I guess you seek to provoke me...of course, you won't be able to stand the heat. Get out of the kitchen if it's too much.

reply to post by madnessinmysoul

yes I do agree you would be glad you are not the first responder to this topic, though you were right here when I made it

I decided to eat instead of respond to the post.

I do not believe you can play with this fire simply because you can not disprove it or answer it with any rational logic...

I can disprove it, I can answer it, and I can demonstrate that it is illogical. In fact, I'm going to do that soon enough.

the Heathens do indeed seek to establish false gods and idols of the imagination eg: Darwin.

We don't hold Darwin up as some sort of infallible scholar. We actually know he was wrong about certain things, as modern evolutionary biology has progressed a lot from the works of Darwin. He just had one of the best ideas in modern scientific thought. And it works.

And heathens? Seriously? What are we in, the 17th century?

It is just as foolish to deny the existence of the true God as it is to be deceived into worshipping false gods.

...I'm not denying the existence of anything, I'm rejecting the claim that any deity exists. There is simply not enough evidence for me to accept any theistic claim, the Abrahamic deity isn't special in that regard.

The people who deny God's existence and those who worship false gods are principally one and the same,

Again, we're not denying anything. To deny means that we know it exists. We don't know it exists and we don't have any evidence to show that it does exist, therefore we refuse to accept an unproven premise.

And we reject the 'false gods' along with yours because...there is no more evidence for them than there is evidence for your deity.

because the former having rejected the true God must inescapably turn to worship some form of God's creation.

We don't worship anything. Except nachos. Nachos with cheesy sauce.
...this is about as seriously as I take your posts. They aren't like playing with fire, they're like hearing the egging on of a grade-school bully when you're an adult. They're childish, pointless, and frankly quite sad.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 09:31 AM
link   

reply to post by TedHodgson

I am quite sure God (if as you say was invented) then he was long before Darwin or any of the science you know of today.

Why, yes, theism predates scientific understanding. Of course it would. If we understood the natural world we'd have no reason to have a lot of those deities in the first place.

Gods science is quite old and you guys are still working on defeating it...

Well let's see.
Geocentrism? Knocked that one down.
Flat Earth? Kicked to the curb.
Creationism? Killed it with fire.
Moon as a light? Destroyed.
The firmament? Annihilated.
Pi = 3? Um...ancient Greece took care of that one.
Sun stood still in the sky? Whooped that.
Global flood? Rent asunder.

I'm just going to stop there because I'm running out of creative ways to say that science has shown the Biblical scientific claims to be baseless.

What of "God's science" remains?

that must be some tough childish stuff there in the Bible of Christianity

Not really. I can personally refute any scientific claim in the Bible. And I'm not a scientist, I just play one on the internet.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join