It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antarctica Painting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
William Hodges, a painter, on Captain Cooks second voyage, painted the first known picture of antarctica. It's hidden beneath another painting, and was only found through X-ray technology. I thought this article was in some way and form justifiable to be placed in this forum, because as little as we know about Antarctica, I thought it was be proper to focus on the historical aspects of such a painting and era.
story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20040705/sc_nm/arts_hodges_dc

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Nice! Wonder how long before we get the image on the 'net.

His last solo exhibition in 1795 was shut by the authorities who deemed his anti-war paintings to be fomenting revolt at a time when England was fighting France.

Typical. Guess the ones who don't like wars have always got shut up.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Is there a pic, my most illustrious esteemed colleague?

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Here's a Reuters story with a pic:
Reuters

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Oh, now that's a neat find!

I wonder why he overpainted the Antarctic landscape with a more prosaic one? I'm guessing that perhaps he did it simply because the Antarctic painting wasn't of interest to anyone at the time and he hated to waste the canvas.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
He probably had a limited supply of canvas on that long trip.
They should x-ray all of the paintings to seem if more of them have hidden pictures.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Or maybe he knew Antarctica was really a magical forest at one point, and this was a clue as to the truth!.... Or maybe he lacked enough canvas to do the paintings he really wanted to... so took some of his less than fantastic works and painted over them. Anyone care to explain how that would work... I would think that painting over something like that would really make the new painting very strange and messy looking. But I am definately no expert.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
We should xray all of his paintings maybe it has to do with that fourth dimensioanl thing and those reptoid guys kangaxx is talking about.

join