It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter '99-'00: UK - Snowfalls Are Now Just A Thing Of The Past

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I think this article is very telling about the lack of historical memory people have.

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past

Britain's winter ends tomorrow with further indications of a striking environmental change: snow is starting to disappear from our lives.

Sledges, snowmen, snowballs and the excitement of waking to find that the stuff has settled outside are all a rapidly diminishing part of Britain's culture, as warmer winters - which scientists are attributing to global climate change - produce not only fewer white Christmases, but fewer white Januaries and Februaries.

The first two months of 2000 were virtually free of significant snowfall in much of lowland Britain, and December brought only moderate snowfall in the South-east. It is the continuation of a trend that has been increasingly visible in the past 15 years: in the south of England, for instance, from 1970 to 1995 snow and sleet fell for an average of 3.7 days, while from 1988 to 1995 the average was 0.7 days. London's last substantial snowfall was in February 1991.

Global warming, the heating of the atmosphere by increased amounts of industrial gases, is now accepted as a reality by the international community. Average temperatures in Britain were nearly 0.6°C higher in the Nineties than in 1960-90, and it is estimated that they will increase by 0.2C every decade over the coming century. Eight of the 10 hottest years on record occurred in the Nineties.

However, the warming is so far manifesting itself more in winters which are less cold than in much hotter summers. According to Dr David Viner, a senior research scientist at the climatic research unit (CRU) of the University of East Anglia,within a few years winter snowfall will become "a very rare and exciting event".

"Children just aren't going to know what snow is," he said.

I have a feeling that 10 years later, the children in the UK are fully aware of what snow is, don't you think?

I wonder what will be happening during the UK winter of 2020? Will they be once again cursing the warm and wishing for snow?
edit on 12/19/10 by Ferris.Bueller.II because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Stars and Flags! good find. Prophecies and predictions so often go astray. dont they?
I think this one is debunked: i mean i can look out the window.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
You know what they say in Britain if you don't like the weather? Just wait for half an hour.

Nuff said.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
You know what they say in Britain if you don't like the weather? Just wait for half an hour.

Nuff said.

That's what makes this even funnier. This partisan hack by the name of Charles Onians basically writes the obituary for snowy winters in the UK blaming it on manmade global warming, then 10 years later the UK is experiencing their most wintery winter since records started in 1910. I'm keeping an eye out to see if this hack writes another article this year blaming this cold UK winter on manmade global cooling. Blaming man for causing the weather is like blaming a butterfly for causing a tornado. I know the HAARP aficionados here at ATS, if you want to call them that, won't like that statement, but it's the truth.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

you really havent a clue as to how the weather works. Nor do you have any clue to what science calls postive and negative feedbacks and the term "tipping point"

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007

you really havent a clue as to how the weather works. Nor do you have any clue to what science calls postive and negative feedbacks and the term "tipping point"

Please enlighten me then, Mr. Wizard.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Well, If IIRC global warming (manmade or natural) is supposedly meant to cause greater variation on the weather. So we should get more at the extremes. If this means we get colder, more snowy winters and hotter summers with droughts or at least a lot less rain, I'm moving to Scotland and buying some crampons.

So this guy probably was wrong, I mean supposedly one model says the gulf stream cuts off and we get a new Ice Age in the UK (Yipee!). Then again since when have we really been able to predict the weather over a long period of time? It's a chaotic system after all, and what it's doing in one valley can be completely different to the next. Add such disturbances over a long time and people get it hilariously wrong.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Helo weather watchers.

. . .enlighten me. . .

Welll. . .
Some seems to have no clue about the effects of the
"slow down of the gulf stream",
in the Atlantic ocean will be.

It is: warmer winters in America/Canada, and colder/worst winters in Europe.

We ALL know that the **global** warming will generate
**local** warmer spots and **local** colder spots, don't we ?

Use IXQUICK.com to find the info. . .

Blue skies.

edit on 2010/12/19 by C-JEAN because: Precision on post answered.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

i dont have to enlighten you. you seem to know about these feedbacks and the complexity of the weather for you to back a bold statement as you have.

however to make it quite plain take a look at temperature charts for the last 1 million years. Take a close look at steep rises in temperature and have a look at what follows after,
edit on 19/12/2010 by loner007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007

i dont have to enlighten you. you seem to know about these feedbacks and the complexity of the weather for you to back a bold statement as you have.

however to make it quite plain take a look at temperature charts for the last 1 million years. Take a close look at steep rises in temperature and have a look at what follows after,
edit on 19/12/2010 by loner007 because: (no reason given)

And also while you're looking at those charts, take a look at the time spans those temperature fluctuations happen in. The "scientists" have based the entire manmade global climate change on how much timespan as compared to those charts and the swings they show?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Last Ice Age happened in less than year say scientists
THE last ice age 13,000 years ago took hold in just one year, more than ten times quicker than previously believed, scientists have warned. Rather than a gradual cooling over a decade, the ice age plunged Europe into the deep freeze, German Research Centre for Geosciences at Potsdam said. Cold, stormy conditions caused by an abrupt shift in atmospheric circulation froze the continent almost instantly during the Younger Dryas less than 13,000 years ago – a very recent period on a geological scale. The new findings will add to fears of a serious risk of this happening again in the UK and western Europe – and soon. Dr Achim Brauer, of the GFZ (GeoForschungs Zentrum) German Research Centre for Geosciences at Potsdam, and colleagues analysed annual layers of sediments, called "varves", from a German crater lake. Each varve records a single year, allowing annual climate records from the region to be reconstructed.

Source
edit on 20/12/2010 by loner007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Last Ice Age happened in less than year say scientists

The only way that could happen would be by a super trigger.

Nuclear winter. could cause a ice age but there were no nuclear weapon around at the start of the last ice age.
A super volcano is another possibility
Or a major impact event, asteroid impact.
The last would be the draining of a VERY large fresh water source into the ocean disrupting the ocean currents.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

yes and the point is none of those what you mentioned has not happened in our recent history. So what could have caused the arctic to melt and change the weather patterns there to make them blow north to south something that has only happened in the last 160 years with the last one being last year and now for the 2nd time running we have it again to make it 4. If you read the report it was posted in 2008 and it says ATMOSPHERIC circulation disruption was the cause. We have for 2 years running, atmospheric circulation disruption so how many years of this disruption will lead us into the next freeze which could according to the data happen within one year. We have no idea thats the scary part.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by loner007

Do you think this was a natural turn in climate, or maybe the product of an outside event?

new topics

top topics

join