It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to just stop anything in the Universe?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Aha this is an excellent thought thread. There is only really one way to directly stop anything at the atomic scale and that is to reduce the atomic noise (heat) to absolute zero. Now something very peculiar happens when this occurs or comes close to occurring. The particles begin to show their wave pattern instead of their point particle pattern.

How can this be you say. Yes my friends the particle wave duality is a perplexing concept. However it has been more or less shown to be fact by the creation of super fluids and Bose Einstein Condensates (BECs). When an atom cools to a certain stage it begins to draw out into a wave and it can be here or there or there or there all at the same time. Weird, yes? When this happens you get a super fluid which is a zero viscosity liquid that can leak through glass run up the sides of a glass and form a frictionless self sustaining fountain.

Beyond the super fluidity temperature you begin to get BECs. The BEC is one of the greatest accomplishments and mysteries of 21st century physics. Since our ability to maintain such temperatures is quite primitive we can only create them for a short time and in small quantities. Yet we have been able to do some AMAZING experiments.

One in particular raises some interesting questions about our understanding of even the most elementary physical laws we take for granted today. In this experiment a wave of light 8 miles long is passed through the BEC and on doing so is slowed let me repeat that slowed to the speed of a bicycle. It becomes like a point particle before reaching the far side and again stretching out to it original length. This is particularly important to physicists because it allows for light to be studied while it still retains all its original properties and we arent relying so much on things like heat signature spectral analysis and other indirect observations.

Anyways back to my original point this is the only way to truly "stop" anything yet it cannot be accomplished with matter at the atom scale and larger as it takes progressively longer to extract the heat as it reaches near absolute zero it would take the entire age of the universe to squeeze out that last bit of heat. Someone might say then why not use even more elementary particles perhaps they would be easier to cool, but the problem here lies in that elementary particles such as quarks decay incredibly fast so doing any real experimentation with them is virtually impossible.

So in short nothing will ever truly stop until (and this is only theory aswell)
the big rip when even atoms are torn into there elementary constituents and the distances between them allow for zero bumping and rubbing and thermodynamics claims its last victims of entropy.

The reason everything is moving is believed to be caused by the ability of the mysterious dark energy to overcome gravity causing the heavens to careen ever faster outward in all directions.

Absolute zero video about super fluids and BECs (great video)

video.google.com...#

Cosmic apocolypse goes over big rip big crunch and big freeze theories of the end of the known universe (great video)

video.google.com...#

CW OUT

[edit on 20-10-2008 by constantwonder]

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Well, when I die, when my consciousness vanishes, so will my contribution to the creation of the universe from virtuality via collapse of the quantum wave function through my observation. I can only assume that at that point the entire universe will cease to exist. It's not exactly "stopping" the universe, but more like obliterating it.

And no, I don't see how it will be possible your existence to continue after my death if my universe no longer exists. Sorry about that.

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
either way, By human technology it is completely impossible to stop a 'probe' for example, being as in plain-space there are no forces to stop the movement,
the 'probe' would carry on at a constant speed for eternity (until it encountered forces, such as gravity)

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by AmmonSeth
either way, By human technology it is completely impossible to stop a 'probe' for example, being as in plain-space there are no forces to stop the movement,
the 'probe' would carry on at a constant speed for eternity (until it encountered forces, such as gravity)

I would think that colliding particles (LHC) almost stop just before they break into tiny black holes... like the ones at the earths core
(just a joke about the core). Does their momentum stop before they break apart?

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven

Originally posted by AmmonSeth

I would think that colliding particles (LHC) almost stop just before they break into tiny black holes... like the ones at the earths core
(just a joke about the core). Does their momentum stop before they break apart?

Indeed, but i was not talking about the molecular level,
I was talking about physical, e.g. people, comets, planets, space-craft etc.
And i was talking about travelling in plain-space

[edit on 21/10/2008 by AmmonSeth]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   
OP Is it possible to just stop anything in the universe?
IMHO
Yes, AND No. Yes you can stop it, but no, its not really a thing.(who knows, for lack of any terms, it may be considered with the term thing if you like)
What an awesome thread. You asked if there is anything that exists that does not move through space time, well, it all depends on what the definition of "exist" is, and I ultimately have to say I believe yes. It seems its more of some "un" thing, that exists out side of space time, yet also penetrates space time subjectively, like a two way mirror, allowing it to perceive both "sides". Im pretty sure this thing is the real you not under the influence of the 3-d condition.

For a LONG time, people have been "stilling the mind" in what is commonly known as meditation. Meditation is said to provide profound insight on the nature of the mind, and the nature of this dimension or reality itself. In deep meditation, sometimes a student will come to a point, where they experience a view of this dimension, from what seems to be a dimension higher than this one, and the mere experience of such, proves its validity beyond any sense of doubt. The student returns with a smile as their only proof because they know, yet they also know that experience is the only proof as objects or calculations from a dimension up, simply cannot fit into the dimension below. You cant bring a cube into the second dimension, but in the second dimension, you can have faith that a cube may exist, and if you live in a dimension with a supposed method of experiencing the cube, your willing experimentation may just lead to an experience of the 3-d cube.

Edit to add: lmao, hey theres some proof!, when I posted this, I was blown away re reading it, I noticed my ats points are at 777 and -333
, synchronicity, gotta love it; its the universes way of smiling back.

[edit on 10/21/2008 by psychedeliack]

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by psychedeliack
OP Is it possible to just stop anything in the universe?
IMHO
Yes, AND No. Yes you can stop it, but no, its not really a thing.(who knows, for lack of any terms, it may be considered with the term thing if you like)
What an awesome thread. You asked if there is anything that exists that does not move through space time, well, it all depends on what the definition of "exist" is, and I ultimately have to say I believe yes. It seems its more of some "un" thing, that exists out side of space time, yet also penetrates space time subjectively, like a two way mirror, allowing it to perceive both "sides". Im pretty sure this thing is the real you not under the influence of the 3-d condition.

For a LONG time, people have been "stilling the mind" in what is commonly known as meditation. Meditation is said to provide profound insight on the nature of the mind, and the nature of this dimension or reality itself. In deep meditation, sometimes a student will come to a point, where they experience a view of this dimension, from what seems to be a dimension higher than this one, and the mere experience of such, proves its validity beyond any sense of doubt. The student returns with a smile as their only proof because they know, yet they also know that experience is the only proof as objects or calculations from a dimension up, simply cannot fit into the dimension below. You cant bring a cube into the second dimension, but in the second dimension, you can have faith that a cube may exist, and if you live in a dimension with a supposed method of experiencing the cube, your willing experimentation may just lead to an experience of the 3-d cube.

Edit to add: lmao, hey theres some proof!, when I posted this, I was blown away re reading it, I noticed my ats points are at 777 and -333
, synchronicity, gotta love it; its the universes way of smiling back.

[edit on 10/21/2008 by psychedeliack]

other than the mostly meta-physic response i agree with you that "real" or "exsists" is a completely subjective idea. Is the probability wave any less real than the point particle that collapses out of it? why should a "virtual"
particle be any less real than a physical particle. After all if the new many worlds interperations hold up then the virtual particle here would be a real particle in another dimension or verse however you like to look at it.

The point in your thread that says you cant put a higher dimensional object into a lower dimension is only partly true. It can in fact exsist in dimensions below. Say you were two dimensional and a 3 dimensional object traveled near enough to you to be observed, while you wouldn't be able to see the entire 3d object you could however see a 2 dimensional cross section of said 3 dimensional object
(wrap your mind around that).

theres a video called imagining the tenth dimension its not rooted firmly in mathematics but it can shed a dim light on the subject of extra dimensions

www.revver.com...

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

you are exactly right, in fact, I think that the "object" from the higher dimension, that we "see" here, is consciousness, or self, not really the mind, as the mind I look at as a faculty of the brain, and consciousness is basically "experience" in any mode of perception. If a 2d person follows the line that they have faith is really the cube, they may experience the cube if their faith is correct and their methods are true.
I believe the analogy here is, stilling the mind is to follow consciousness, but you must still the mind first, or youll only have 3d biased ideas about what it is you think you are following or have faith or curiosity in. Just like a controlled experiment in the lab, you wouldnt want any foreign particles to corrupt the experiment, which is why, when a student has this sort of experience of a higher dimension, the mind is cleared of ALL thought whatsoever, it is a totally new kind of experience, and is not influenced by the details of the 3-d, yet the 3-d relies on the details of the higher dimensional experience which is how the student knows/thinks they are not delusional.
And I do admit I may just be delusional, and thats fine, its been the deeply humbling part of the journey.

posted on Oct, 21 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Xeven

From original post:

Does anything exist that is not moving through space time at all?

Not very likely. How about this singularity...the original big bang
coordinates.... that shouldn't be moving should it.

You got any evidence of curved space or worm holes or UFO.

I have two interesting ideas from Tesla:

The Moon has no spin of its own.. he wrote at least three articles
on that one.. and if released from the earth would pick up a rotation
that would stop.

He said we could move planets if not mistaken and I suppose it
would be done electrically based on principles used in UFOs.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeslaandLyne
reply to post by Xeven

From original post:

Does anything exist that is not moving through space time at all?

Not very likely. How about this singularity...the original big bang

Well that all depends on the exact nature of the beginning of the universe there may or may not have been a big bang (my guwess is there was) however there is no reasoon to believe that it only occured in one place hence the uneven distribution of matter in the universe.

If the brane world theory is correct and the big bang was the result of two brains colliding in hyperspace then i would say that the point of the big bang would be moving around the brane just like everything else. why should it have different rules than any other coordinate in space

[edit on 23-10-2008 by constantwonder]

posted on Oct, 24 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   

How about this singularity...the original big bang

Extremely interesting idea, though i'd imaine with all matter still pouring out from this area, there would be at least slight variations in it's position due to gravitational pull from the particales being released.

If not however, if space and time are tied, if one could approach this area, time should slow to a stop.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join