It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEOGAMES: FAR FROM REALITY?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Months ago, called my attention the video of the game "HOMEFRONT", if you didn't watch it yet, here is a link :

www.youtube.com...

....quiet a load eh?

Now, I went to the games website, check it out :

www.homefront-game.com...#/home

Propaganda, warning or whatever you want to call it....it makes you raise an eyebrow.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
Months ago, called my attention the video of the game "HOMEFRONT", if you didn't watch it yet, here is a link :

www.youtube.com...

....quiet a load eh?

Propaganda, warning or whatever you want to call it....it makes you raise an eyebrow.

Its funny when non gamers make threads like this.
Its just absolutely funny.

There are many games where America is invaded and there are many games where America invades.
There are games of Aliens invading in the 1950's, there is a game about religious aliens wiping out the human race in 500 years, there is a game where Nazi experiments gone wrong create Nazi Zombies.

Its fiction, just like books.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
raise an eyebrow?

To hell with that...thats making me raise a credit card...game looks like epic win.

As far as propaganda...naa, its just people cashing in on social events of the time.
Fallout games are based around what happens after a nuclear exchange between the US and China..and those games are total win..but beyond "cool game", there is no real message..

well, except for:
"War...War never changes"

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Segador
there is a game where Nazi experiments gone wrong create Nazi Zombies.

Can there be a better enemy...I mean, nazi's...epitome of great thing to kill...Zombies...perfect monster to kill...combined..total win (actually, total fail..too much of a good thing sadly)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
raise an eyebrow?

To hell with that...thats making me raise a credit card...game looks like epic win.

As far as propaganda...naa, its just people cashing in on social events of the time.
Fallout games are based around what happens after a nuclear exchange between the US and China..and those games are total win..but beyond "cool game", there is no real message..

well, except for:
"War...War never changes"

You also have those cool quotes when you die in Call of duty.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Segador

I'm a gamer and I found this one excepcionally close to what's going on now. Hilary on it...crazy thing. And of course, I'll buy it.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I wish people would seriously realize that gaming is taken far more serious than it once was. Gaming has made tremendous technological advances and continues to do so. Game's are becoming nothing more than interactive movies. Great story lines, you control the action, last longer, it many instances a lot of games are better than movies. So games allow you to do what movies can't, they allow you to control the outcome or ending. Then you can go back, replay it and have a completely different ending. With movies and books, it always end's the same. Same thing no matter what.

With games like Heavy Rain, and new software coming out for game developers, pretty soon games will look just as real as movies, but you'll be controlling everything. I'm sure a lot of you have seen that "Emily" video. The vid were it looks like a real person is being interviewed then at the end you find out she was created by gamers. Rockstar Game (the company that makes Grand Theft Auto, Red Dead Redemption, and many other great titles) is currently working with that technology to create future games.

The reason the Nazi's are used in video games, is because they are universally hated. Video game companies are out to make money. If a video game company creates a game where America is about to invade and kill all of Canada, that wouldn't sell very well to the Canadian's would it? Same thing with Russia, Russian's are playing lot's of video games now. So if you have a game where America is invading and destroying Russia, that wouldn't sell well in Russia, therefore hurting that game companies profits.

N. Korean's don't play Xbox 360/PS3/PC, and are universally disliked. Afterall they don't do much politically to make many friend's and allies. So there the perfect video gaming enemy. Same thing with Al Qaeda. This is also the reason zombies and aliens are used. It's not something the player cares if they kill. This is also why movies do this. Not because ,"oh there must be an imminent invasion by alien's or zombies the gov't know's about, hence the reason all these movies about alien's coming out in 2011".

edit on 19-12-2010 by J.Son79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

www.youtube.com...

....quiet a load eh?

Propaganda for who? Is North Korea sending this over to prepare America for their upcoming invasion in 2027?
Seems a bit much for an event 17 years in the future! This is a good storyline written by a guy who knows how to weave an interesting military tale, he's done it before with Red Dawn.

The game's script is written by John Milius, best known for penning Apocalypse Now and creating the TV series Rome. However, Homefront is most similar to Milius' Red Dawn, the Cold War-era film about American rebels resisting a Soviet invasion.

I don't know about you, but I do not think this is propaganda or a warning and my eyebrows are not raised. Although I can't wait to play this and kick some North Korean ass!

www.shacknews.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bphi1908

It's not about the date, the scenario is the point. Expand your mind brother. It's about teaching to hate N.K, and seems to work with people like you.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

It's not about the date, the scenario is the point. Expand your mind brother. It's about teaching to hate N.K, and seems to work with people like you.

I don't think so. You see, it's kind of hard to find 'politically correct' villains to fight. Videogames have normally relied on Nazis or zombies to be the villain, because nobody gets offended seeing them die. Video game developers have to find villains that come from countries that don't buy their games, and that nobody feels guilty killing.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Ok I'll bite, let's go over the scenario brother. It is complete fiction, you know the class of literature comprising works of imaginative narration. Yeah that was part of what I was trying to tell you in my previous post, the guy who wrote this wrote another popular hollywood screenplay called Red Dawn, a very similar story. In fact according to the trailer you posted they invaded the US the same way Russia did in Red Dawn, troops fly in using commercial jets. Reusing a plot device seems a little lazy to me but it happens in storytelling. One thing I can tell you is he did not write this to expand minds or prepare me for an invasion 17 years down the road.

Now let's dive into the story that you find so convincing.
1. 2013 North Korea reunited with South Korea, there is NO mention as to how this was done, leaving one to assume it was done with a massive invasion. North Korea might have nuclear missiles but to use them 40 miles from their borders seems unlikely. Which means they fight a conventional war with South Korea and the United States, I don't like their odds.

2. 2015 The US dollar forces us out of Asia and leaves Japan defenseless. North Korea fills that void, really what about China, you know that really large country with a really large military. You think they are going to sit back a watch a very unstable and imperialistic North Korea expand? Again unlikey but it makes for a good STORY.

3. 2024 I like this next one, Korea expands to southeast Asia and all of a sudden is now a superpower? Let me know when you think this story may not be very plausible.

4. And finally they invade the US, what for? They are a superpower, we no longer are. According to the storyline America has become a third world nation. What is the goal of this invasion....I know it's to make a good VIDEO GAME!

And as far as me hating North Korea, you are little of base. I despise the totalitarian government that controls and suppresses the populace it is suppose to be helping, but I do not hate the North Koreans, there is a distinction.

And as people have pointed out there have been games in the past that have depicted a US invasion by a foreign enemy, here are a few.

video games:
modernwarfare2.infinityward.com... (by the Russians)
www.codemasters.com... (By the Nazis)

movies:
Red Dawn (go figure, the Russians)

I believe there even was a board game with a similar plot.

Are these part of the secret plan preparing us for invasion? Now I normally wouldn't have even responded again but it seems someone needs to help you get a grip on the difference between fantasy and reality.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

"Air Force Global Strike Command SPECIAL ALERT!"

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 20-12-2010 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
You know those 80's movies that start with- "In the year 2015, in the space colony on Pluto.."..

It's pretty much the same thing.

new topics

top topics

join