It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deny Ignorance: A How-To Guide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:32 PM
link   
"Deny Ignorance" - it is the very core behind this massive gathering of minds and tangled computer wires...but what....um...I mean....er...what does it..mean?

This thread is dedicated to those of us slapped in the face with a healthy portion of slapstick irony...yes ladies and gents, I'm talking about those members out there who enjoy tacking on one silent and often elusive comment at the end of their posts...the one which suggests that you are some mindless slob amongst the millions who has not "denied ignorance" yet - here's one such example I got from a fellow poster:

It is still apparent that those of us who 'deny ignorance' are greatly
outnumbered by those who believe in perpetuating pre-fabricated illusions.

I read this and laugh - "Those of us"..."outnumbered by those" - this of course is not the irony I mentioned earlier but just an observence of this need to group people into piles

Let's get this ball rolling - I want to hear some comments! Maybe from the moderators that are no doubt reading this right now...what is your definition? To me, "deny ignorance" is not a state of being, but rather a firm belief that no question should be left unanswered at the end of the day...so let's tackle this one!

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Here: www.abovetopsecret.com... And here: www.abovetopsecret.com... And this: That should cover it.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Thank you for the links SO, but I'm not looking for ATS policies - I'm looking for public opinions of those who post here

I realize you're an administrator, and I hope I don't upset you by saying this, but your post, in a certain way, defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to accomplish here - I want personal definitions by ATS members as to what it means to them and when best to proudly use it as a forcreful weapon and when not to, because I think many people are confused by its meaning and don't read the great information you've provided above

[edit on 7/5/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

[edit on 7/5/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Comments? Honestly?

Its just rhetoric to me.

Now, Common sense.... I'm liking that

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Comments? Honestly?

Its just rhetoric to me.

Now, Common sense.... I'm liking that

Clear example
When you say rhetoric are you using it in the sense of "an overly loud and empty conversation," as "simply a conversation" or "the power of persuasion." Because each one has its own meaning and take on the topic...just like each persons take on "deny ignorance" is based off of what they think and feel...

To simply dismiss this as something that is not-worthy and to provide the suggestion that I just use common sense as an answer is in itself an irony of my entire point!! How can you use a catch phrase you have a befuddled understanding of to support something you strongly believe in.

But at the end of the day, all I'm asking for here is opinions, and I appreciate your input Nerdling....My intentions here are to perhaps lay a pathway for people who want to know more about ATS and the people behind the computer screens - please don't take this as some kind of half-baked an attack on ATS - I may be new here, but I think I have a right to question a few things

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Well - I guess if no one has any personal thoughts or stories about the misuse and sarcasm often implied in the use of our motto, I'll just keep my thoughts to myself...I know I see it all the time

Whatever - I'll just go deny my ignorance in peace...

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Poor Enron, Ill respond. Deny Ignorance? Recognize you dont know everything, and try to change that. But at the same time know you will never know everything. But that definition would be more of a "Battle Ignorance" instead of denying it.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Personally, all that you put before has nothing to do with the ATS motto. It has everything to do with getting in that baiting/biting remark against someone, when all else (read: logic) starts to fail. Remarks like:

those of us that know truth
you're so blind
the mindless sheep who believe
etc, etc...blah

The insult is just cleverly woven within the Deny Ignorance statement.

As for Nerdling's "common sense" remark. Well, that is not right either because if it was common...everyone would have it. I like to call it "Practical Sense". (Yes, I made that myself and it is �)

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Yay!
That's a great explination Zeddicus - thank you - I can see a little more clearly now how that is inherintly woven in as opposed to a warping of its meaning, albeit a little overused by some people who are lacking a more detailed response...

Scat - battle ignorance indeed! It's all about putting one foot before the other! Not to mention that as development occur you must learn to deny what you once that was the truth...

EDIT: BTW, I should note that the sarcasm in the title of this post was intentional...

[edit on 7/6/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
Personally, all that you put before has nothing to do with the ATS motto.

Who are you talking to? Im afraid!!!!!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scat

Oh, not you Scat bat do-dat bediddly doo doo dooby wop wop.

I was referring to what EOH had put before.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander

Originally posted by Scat

Oh, not you Scat bat do-dat bediddly doo doo dooby wop wop.

I was referring to what EOH had put before.

Nice scatting! Hmm....let me stry one....ZeddicuZulZorander ber ber bo bee doo bee do bee doh doh dooooo whoop

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

dooby wop wop

I think Scat must be a closet Hanson fan - lol

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

dooby wop wop

I loved Hanson! You caught me! I also loved....and yes...still love NSYNC. But just the first album, silly Justin took over in the second one. DEATH THE THE BACKSTREET BOYS!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

Those Hanson girls were kinda cute.

Meanwhile, back at ATS...
Since this is really not about board questions, I'm going to be moving this thread to chit chat.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Denying ignorance is one thing.
Denying ignorants truly makes the difference.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Ignorance, to me, IS a state. It's when a person either lacks the concept of or refuses to believe that there are occurances, interpretations, knowledge, and/or beliefs that he or she has not been exposed to.

To deny ignorance one would have to pull one's head out of whatever orrifice it is currently placed in and actually LOOK AROUND. This is a frightening thought for some ( a lot?) people, so those who "deny ignorance" will always be out numbered by those who don't.

Whenever I see that phrase used to belittle or flame someone, it is always a sign to apply a LARGE dose of skepticism to what the person using it has said.

Again, just my opinion!!!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:48 PM
link   
NSYNC...BSB....oh the memories - lol - I remember driving around with my friend in high school bumping it on down the street to some of that with his crazy stereo system - he still denies we ever did that to this day - lol

To be honest, I think Zedd kind of hit the nail on the head so to speak regarding my issue with the use of this motto

Even tho I'm still gonna think a little less about the people who use that as their defense w/o offering anything else...this was just my cathartic "bait/bite" for the people who do it...

If anyone still wants to add their own definitions of what "deny ignorance" is to them - or reflect upon that glorious day that "you walked into the valley of the deniers" - or even if you just get pi$$ed off at the same thing I did, fill free to use this thread as a gut spillage zone

top topics

join