Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Why, Scientifically, Is It So Hard To Quit Smoking?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Ive had a tough time with this issue.

I take pretty good care of myself these days, I exercise alot. I eat healthy foods.
But I still smoke at least one cigarette a day. This is much better than a year ago, when I was smoking more like 10-15. It's an unattractive habit. And I feel like a real dummy when I go running, then two hours later Im on my patio with a death-stick in my hand. My fiancee' has the same problem. We both enjoy a glass of wine or beer and a smoke at the end of the day.

It's annoying, how tough it is to quit.

Habits I have managed to quit: Biting Nails, Chewing on pens. Chewing on strands of hair. Tapping my feet. twiddling thumbs....etc

But not smoking.

Some will say that it is because of personality. Some people have an addictive nature. Some say it's the nicotine. Some say it's physical habit.

Here are some facts that "they" wont tell you. Maybe a little knowledge can help us all to quit!

Inhaling a puff of smoke from a cigarette sends nicotine molecules zooming up into the brain within seconds. There, the nicotine grabs hold of receptors on brain cells and releases a wave of dopamine, the brain's feel-good chemical, bringing feelings of pleasure and comfort.

This is nicotine itself. Not an additive. And it's at the simplest level of the addiction.

esides dopamine, smoking also activates the release of other molecules in the brain that make you feel good, including chemicals called endogenous opioids, which heighten positive feelings and subdue negative ones, according to 2004 research from the University of Michigan.

Another good feeling chemical reaction?!! No wonder it ropes you in so badly!!

But it isnt just the nicotine itself. There are also quite a few factors that the cigarette companies throw in there for you. They have systematically made changes, as more negative information has been made available to the public.

These changes include adding ammonia to the tobacco, which converts nicotine into a form that gets to the brain faster, as well as adding holes to cigarette filters that allow people to inhale smoke more deeply into their lungs, the paper said. Other additions, such as sugar and "moisture enhancers," reduce the dry, burning sensation of smoking, making it a more pleasant experience — especially for new cigarette smokers.

Not to mention, that alot of these first time smokers are teens. Their bodies are more prone to addiction as their bodies react to the chemicals in a much more intense way.
Source

I will quit. Eventually. It will be very hard. Im almost there.

I am baffled at my own psychology regarding the issue. Im the type of person that gets incredibly angry to know that the wool has been pulled over my eyes. That I am being lied to, and manipulated. Heck, we all are, here on ATS. So why do we allow a company to lie to us, and manipulate ourselves into an addiction that more often than not results in death.

It's not a conspiracy, it's right out in the open! These people sell death, and we buy it!

Just some thoughts....

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I think its also the idea of having something to "Do" really, Keeps you and your mind active sort of thing.
Then Again i smoke, And i for one dont know why i do it really

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I just recently quit smoking, ....

but in the past I've also quit every addictive substance known to man. ... at different times.

Maybe i have an addictive personality ? I dunno, .. but I feel very fortunate to defeat multiple addictions when most people can barely handle one.

At the end of the day, .. all that matters, .... is WillPower.

Your will, against the cravings. self control, .... discipline. do you have it ? that is the question.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Man. I smoke about 25-30 a day give or take.
I love smoking..but more than that..I hate smoking
funny paradox. my hate has not overcome my love just yet, so quitting is "soon" verses now.

and its been soon for many years now

This effing stick is soo damn hard to quit. I remember I did quit once for 9 months, and initially I felt horrible. Then my body bounced back and I felt great..went through a stressful time in life no problem, and once the stress was over, I started smoking again (odd).

OPs...1 a day is not a problem..hell, 3 a day is fine. I would love to be able to have such control over my habit like that.
I enjoy about 2-3 cigarettes a day..truely enjoy them. The rest I do because of addiction. I don't want to quit smoking all together, but I don't want to smoke alot...if I could reduce it to just enjoyable cigarettes, I think that is the best compromise...and perhaps its that mindset that will hold me up from quitting. I might be so wrapped up in it that its all or nothing.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Ive tried once to give up but only lasted three weeks,as soon as i had a few drinks i couldnt resist,i drink quite heavily every weekend and i think i would have to give up drinking to give up smoking because they go so god damn well together!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TedHodgson
I think its also the idea of having something to "Do" really, Keeps you and your mind active sort of thing.
Then Again i smoke, And i for one dont know why i do it really

Of course. I used to find myself smoking for no reason at all. Just because I was bored. Thats the physical habit of it, though.

When I cut back, I had to train myself not to step outside when work was slow. When work was slow, I would go outside and smoke, and look at the ocean. I would also go when one of my "smoking buddies" at work would go outside. You know, you chat with your buddy when you are smoking together. It's social.

I still go outside when one of my co-workers go, but I just dont smoke. I keep the physical part of the habit, but not the actual smoking.

You really have to get this down to a science!!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Nicotine is readily oxidized in the body and forms nicotinic acid, also known as niacin. The nicotinic acid molecule was first synthesized decades ago by BigPharma to make the various benzo's people often abuse in todays world, such as colonopene, valium, and xanax. All of these hit the same receptor in the brain that calms people down.

You can bypass this addiction and improve health at the same time by popping a b-vitamin periodically. I take huge doses of nicotinic acid as preventative maintenance for CVD, and alzheimer's. It's relatively cheap and has done nothing to myself other than improve my body/mind.

As for having to do something all the time. Well, that just comes down to an OCD like triggering. Just find a small habit to replace it that can be done easily, and anywhere in an instant. An easy one is to start chewing gum. The act of clenching the jaw continuously releases endorphines as well. Be sure not to use store bought gum as they all seem to have some aspartame in it these days.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Let's face it, anything that's not within moderation is probably bad for us. I think smoking has become more of an issue because it truly bothers others. You have to respect that although 50 years ago they were smoking in theaters, restaurants, planes, and hospitals and no one was really complaining.

It's conditioning. Now, is there more of a sinister reasoning behind this? Probably.

But smoke if you want to. We all die anyway. If it poses no threat to you nor impedes you from other things then, what's the big deal? Respect others and don't smoke in their presence if they don't like it.

Tobacco is natural. As is pot. As is coca leaves. I have to assume these products were placed on Earth for a reason. Perhaps because of that fact (that they are natural) the PTB want to portray them as wrong, evil or illegal.

Hell, diet Pepsi, McDonalds, GMO foods, vaccinations, fluoride water, anti depressants, cell phones etc will kill us anyway. So is this REALLY about health (in the PTB eyes)? I doubt it.

If you want to quit, you will.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien
Tobacco is natural. As is pot. As is coca leaves. I have to assume these products were placed on Earth for a reason. Perhaps because of that fact (that they are natural) the PTB want to portray them as wrong, evil or illegal.

As is arsenic, mercury, molten lava, & the erections of two flamers.

I choose not to stick any of that inside of me, but perhaps that's just my own personal preference. To each their own.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by lektrofellon
Ive tried once to give up but only lasted three weeks,as soon as i had a few drinks i couldnt resist,i drink quite heavily every weekend and i think i would have to give up drinking to give up smoking because they go so god damn well together!

Drinking is the hardest. Even with just a couple glasses of wine.

When I first tried to quit, I couldnt drink either. I tried first without the gum or patches or anything. It's amazing the withdrawal effects can have on you. I literally cried in the shower.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Cigarette addiction is one of the worst chemical addictions in existence. It's worse than heroin addiction and probably more or less on par with crack coc aine. Add to that the very comfortable psychological addiction of simply holding and using the cigarette (a useful social 'comfort blanket' like holding a drink in one's hand, etc.), the sense in our society from media images that smoking looks 'cool,' and it's very hard to get rid of them.

I've strenuously avoided smoking in my life for fear that I would get addicted. I've seen how people who are addicted get even weirdly belligerent about them towards nonsmokers and people who don't want to be forced to inhale the smoke. It's strange how they affect the mind.

I'm also lucky that I don't have any sort of addiction to alcohol. I can take it or leave it. I usually only have one or two drinks socially when I go out (which isn't that much), and I feel no draw towards the stuff when I don't have it. Sometimes I go out and simply don't drink, just 'cause I don't feel like it. My one big problem with self control is overeating and eating sweets. I'm not huge, or anything, but I am overweight. I go through periods where I do well and cut out the bad stuff, but it seldom lasts. It's my one true vice...especially chocolate chip cookies. I love them.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by InertiaZero

Most of the risks associated with tobacco is not from nicotine - nicotine is not carcinogenic, it's from the other compounds which occur in tobacco and other nightshade relatives (like tomatoes and potatoes) as well. Nicotine can be quit beneficial to people who naturally have a deficiency in cholinergic or dopaminergic activity in the form of vaporization or nicotine gum. Bottom line, it can keep some people off of medications that may have worse side effects.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by jawsismyfish

Most of the risks associated with tobacco are not from nicotine - nicotine is not carcinogenic, they're from the other compounds which occur in tobacco- and other nightshade plants (like tomatoes and potatoes) as well. Nicotine can be quit beneficial to people who naturally have a deficiency in cholinergic or dopaminergic activity in the form of vaporization or nicotine gum. Bottom line, it can keep some people off of medications that may have worse side effects.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I too have literally started and stopped every substance known to man - except cigarettes...my parents and all my friends smoked, but I never did until about 6yrs ago.

Smoking and drinking do go hand-in-hand, there are a lot of triggers that are hard to break. I still don't know why I started smoking, nor do I know why I can't quit!!!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I think associations are important too. You tend to get in the routine of smoking after a drink, during routine breaks, at the mall, at the theater, in the car, when you take a walk. You find your whole life centered around the cigarettes and not the activities themselves. It's like you are smoking the activities and going to the cigarettes.

edit: There is some scientific evidence backing up what I'm saying.

"The N-methyl-D-aspartate antagonist dizocilpine (MK801) has been shown to attenuate neuroadaptations of the locomotor activity responses seen after chronic nicotine administration in rats."

Link to study: jop.sagepub.com...
Title of study: "The NMDA antagonist dizocilpine (M K801) attenuates tolerance to nicotine in rats"

What N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) antagonists do is turn off the part of the brain that deals with associations. Now, you might say so what? This happens in rats. Well, rats share 97% of our dna and their brains are identical in makeup to ours. So, this means that we are extremely likely to experience the same tolerance reversal and therefore lessening of addiction. Addiction and tolerance are known to go hand in hand.
edit on 19-12-2010 by sliceNodice because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by I.C. Weiner

You can do it man, ...

Nothing is more powerful than your Will.

These Cravings will break upon you like water against the rocks.

we humans are capable of miraculous things, when we believe in ourselves, ..... in the great scheme of things, ..... smoking is a piece of cake.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

I have quit smoking for weeks at a time, whether it be by choice or lack of funds or incarceration. Then, all of a sudden I start up again. I have never been so addicted to anything before, this sucks. But yes I am trying to quit. Gum, willpower, and other distractions help.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I smoked for 5 or 6 years and have recently quit. I am a month smoke-free!
Will power is part of it, but a lot of it is the mind set. If you smoke and are convinced you are totally addicted, the truth is, you won't be able to quit.. Especially with the media, family and friends telling you that it's nearly impossible.
I'm not at all saying you can't be physically dependent on it just that you have to have a stronger mind than body to beat the addiction.
I just looked at smoking for what is really is... A digusting, smelly, disease causing stick! And not to mention you are inhaling and exhaling money for nothing more than bad health.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by miranduh29
I smoked for 5 or 6 years and have recently quit. I am a month smoke-free!
Will power is part of it, but a lot of it is the mind set. If you smoke and are convinced you are totally addicted, the truth is, you won't be able to quit.. Especially with the media, family and friends telling you that it's nearly impossible.
I'm not at all saying you can't be physically dependent on it just that you have to have a stronger mind than body to beat the addiction.
I just looked at smoking for what is really is... A digusting, smelly, disease causing stick! And not to mention you are inhaling and exhaling money for nothing more than bad health.

I looked at it that way too......and yet here I am...lol.

Thats exactly my point though. We here at ATS pride ourselves on seeing through the BS, and seeking the truth. However with smoking, we know that we are being taken advantage of, and we still do it!! The psychology of this is cRAZY.

In response to a couple of posters: Saying "we are going top die anyway" is a cop-out. The truth about Alien life will "eventually" be disclosed. However, I am going to research it as much as I can, regardless of the inevitable conclusion.
Same with smoking. You wouldnt go out and jump off a building because "we are all going to die anyway".

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   

But if everybody is jumping off the building, why would you not also? C'mon, everybody's doing it.....

I do agree the psychology behind this is crazy, yet it comes down to mind over matter....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join