It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rubio Rated GOP`s Top Communicator; Drug Cartels Deploy Iraq-Style IED`s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Mexican Cartels Using IEDs in Drug Wars

Mexican drug cartels battling security forces are using the same kind of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) that insurgents have been employing against coalition forces in Afghanistan and Iraq.

“Mexico in the last 90 days has experienced at least three vehicle-borne explosive devices against their security forces, which look very similar to the model that we saw in Iraq and continue to see,” said Lt. Gen. Michael Oates, director of the Joint IED Defeat Organization (JIEDDO).

JIEDDO is a Department of Defense endeavor to reduce or eliminate the effects of all forms of IEDs used against U.S. and coalition forces.

In its 2009 annual report, JIEDDO warned that Mexican drug cartels “may increase the use of IED TTPs [tactics, techniques, and procedures] to respond to increased law enforcement pressure.”

Speaking at the Foreign Press Center in Washington, D.C., Oates said IEDs are “being used throughout the world to impact stable governments. We track about three to four hundred incidents a month occurring outside of Iraq and Afghanistan, where people are using improvised explosive devices against law enforcement or against military security forces.”

The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia use IEDs in their fight against the government, according to Oates.

The explosive devices are “easily concealable. They’re inexpensive. And they are terribly devastating, in some cases against the civilian population,” he said.

This year IEDs have caused nearly 60 percent of the casualties suffered by coalition forces in Afghanistan, AFP reported.

The potential for their increased use in Mexico is troublesome. As the Insider Report disclosed two weeks ago, the death toll in Mexico’s cartel-related drug wars has exceeded 10,000 for this year, with nearly half of the murders occurring in the U.S.-Mexico border region.

SOURCE: NEWSMAX.COM

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I find this interesting. And wonder how long before an IED is used on american soil?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Howdy and welcome!

You might consider editing the title to reflect thread topic as there is no mention of Rubio in story. Chilling nonetheless and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Also, you can use the "link" function to hot link directly to your "quoted text" - another function. Both above text window in New Tread and Reply window in little boxes with blue type.. That will keep the mods happy.

Just trying to help a fellow ATS'er and once again........welcome.

edit on 19-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: added content

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by prexparte

I placed the title exactly how I received it from newsmax.com. I figured the thread must authentic in how I received it. I believe Rubio indorsed this article and is why the title appeared in my e-mail as such.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I exceeded the maximum 4 hour window to edit the thread, hopefully I wont get eaten up to severly. This said to you who read this thread, this is my first thread and we make mistakes when we a learning a new area, subject so please forgive me I tried to edit.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
and I am attempting to not post to myself as you see I have done this shown above....give me time I will catch up to your expertise of ats knowledge.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   

www.newsmaxworld.com...

I looked all over newmax and couldn't find that story.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
These are two different stories.

Marco Rubio Rated Top GOP Communicator

Marco Rubio, Haley Barbour, and Mike Huckabee are the Republicans most likely to defeat President Obama in 2012, according to a new analysis of their communications skills.

Former ABC and CNN journalist Brad Phillips — president of Phillips Media Relations, a media training firm — rated more than a dozen likely GOP candidates, plus Obama, on the seven traits he says all winning presidential candidates have had since 1980.

“Most pundits analyze a general election by looking at the same old measurements, such as unemployment data, consumer confidence, and early polling,” Phillips said.

Mexican drug cartels battling security forces are using the same kind of improvised explosive devices (IEDs) that insurgents have been employing against coalition forces in Afghanistan and Iraq.

“Mexico in the last 90 days has experienced at least three vehicle-borne explosive devices against their security forces, which look very similar to the model that we saw in Iraq and continue to see,” said Lt. Gen. Michael Oates, director of the Joint IED Defeat Organization (JIEDDO).

JIEDDO is a Department of Defense endeavor to reduce or eliminate the effects of all forms of IEDs used against U.S. and coalition forces.

news.newsmax.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
well let me try in my amateur way to link this page...
news.newsmax.com...
not guaranteeing anything I hope it works...here goes...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   

how do I link it?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

thank you, as I had noted this was my first thread and I did make a few mistakes, but yes that is the link I was trying to get into this room, again thank you

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:10 PM
link   
again repeating myself I did title the thread incorrectly, again re-stating this is my first thread, and I apologize for any inconvienence, as you can read this kind member :As You Know" linked the site for me, and again I thank this member for the assistance.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
You are doing a fine job keep at it. No one is hammering you and just trying to help. Your intent and post has been clarified thanks to assistance of others.

As my shrink used to say, "We strive for progress, not perfection" (BTW, I hated that stupid jerk.)

You may want to check out Posting Tips for New Members
edit on 19-12-2010 by kinda kurious because: added link

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by kinda kurious

I do not think anyone is attacking the thread yet, however I know there are those who believe if a thread is not \ stated and linked with precit correctness the thread must be incorrect, therefore before the attacks I am explaining the errors...

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
No worries. It happens.

Now for my commentary on the subjects.

Marco Rubio Rated Top GOP Communicator

This shows a deep flaw in the GOP agenda. Instead of trying to do right by the American people, they are more interested in trying to get Obama out of office.

Now people do realize that IED's aren't new right? Since people first started figuring out how to make things explode, they have been setting these things.

Heck, even the landmine was first developed as an IED.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by prexparte
I find this interesting. And wonder how long before an IED is used on american soil?

How long until CIA shills stop fearmongering on internet message boards?

PHAIL.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by John_Rodger_Cornman

Originally posted by prexparte

How long until CIA shills stop fearmongering on internet message boards?

PHAIL. [/quote

Im not sure how to respond to you. me a CIA shill? um no. As stated im one of the earlier post, I recieve newsmax.com in daily e-mail. This one I felt was interesting enough to throw into a thread. how is it to bring a story such as this fearmongering? I see threads posted that a true fearmongering. I simply brought a FACT to the public.
Right know I am in montana, my residence is in texas, I live 1 mile from a mexico american border. You would realize how real this is if you lived in my shoes. In our small city of Del Rio, 2 years ago when I moved there, in the tribune was an article telling americans to stay away from mexican border towns because americans were and are being slaughtered over there. I would never go out alone after dark because in the summer of 2008 americans were being found dead in empty lots in Del Rio, they were getting over the borders to the small citys and slaughtering us...Know in this small city there are more border police then you could imagine, I would see 1 to 3 every 1 mile. for safety reasons I guess. Did you know that the borders are closed at dark? at least in the del rio area. It re opens at morning light, for safety reasons? I the curious type had to ask the border patrol who was parked on bridge which leads over the lake into mexico, I said to him, whats up with the blocking of this border bridge? he said it closes at dark sense just after 9-11, I asked why, he scowled at me and hand waved me on. What I got was more curiosity....me fearmongering? or me bringing the truth to you?

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by whatukno

IED`s have been around forever. The bothersome fact in this article is the cartel are know using them. I think this is in response to the crackdown on them. Being my home is 1 mile from the border is un-nerving for myself. I have to return to this home in late my home in late may of next year. Just consider what is going through my mind as I head south to this newest events of the drug cartels.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by John_Rodger_Cornman

I E D

Improvised Explosive Device

Oklahoma City Bombing, Atlanta Olympic Bombing, First World Trade Center Attack

IEDs are used daily in the United States. So, while you are naive in calling it fearmongering, you are also somewhat correct.

We use IED's to blow stumps out of the ground. Pipe Bombs were considered pranks for many decades, until the current climate decided they are weapons of terrorists. (They are a little dangerous to put in your neighbors mailbox I suppose, but I think "terrorist" is a little extreme.)

Just about anything that you decide to mix up and make a "boom" is an IED. I could probably name a half dozen recipes for IEDs that you could mix up in your kitchen or garage right now.

The problem isn't the "method." The problem is the "target." Attacking security forces is a bad thing. Nobody should be leaving explosives along the roadsides to kill security forces. Nobody should be mixing up bombs and using them to inflict harm or death on anybody. Still, calling the OP a CIA shill, or thinking that these things are not already in use daily in the US is a bit naive.

top topics

join