It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For the survivalist who has everything.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I present the hand cranked rotary shaver

For those gentleman who simply cannot start the day without a shave whether they are camping, bugging out, in hiding, on a wilderness expedition or in a complete black out situation - the hand cranked rotary shaver is your tool.

Crank-Powered Dual Head Rotary Shaver Razor (Cordless)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

Ive got one!
genious devices

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I guess this could come in handy for the ladies for those "surprise sex" moments.

Does that statement mean my mind is in the gutter? Recent manifestations have given me the feeling I should ponder how certain things I say can be taken as a symptom for a condition... in this case- "gutter mind"

I wonder if this really was considered a condition, what the statistics would be like.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

On the contrary Thats some quick thinking pal!

This product clearly has endless uses

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I was just trying to think of a scenario where one has no electricity and feels the urgent need for a shave. I bet biker chicks carry them. The guys clearly don't as can be seen by the percentage of beards.

My minds not in the gutter, I am simply being logical.

Who is this REALLY being marketed to? Or who should it?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Very swish, this modern technology. So, you turn a crank handle to run a dynamo/charger mechanism that supplies electrical power to a battery that then can supply power to an electric motor, that then turns the cutting heads.

Neat. A little inefficient in the sense of energy losses but still neat.

I only have an old Russian clockwork one. You turn the key and that transfers energy to a spring where it's stored and can be used to drive the clockwork mechanism that powers the cutting heads. Less swish, but at least you never have to worry about the battery eventually dying as it doesn't have one. (Okay, the spring will doubtless fail one day but nothing's perfect.
)

Here's a couple of pics I just took. Yes OP that's your post in the background.

The shaver comes in a leather case (pictured on right in first pic) and I still have the handbook (in Russian) which was signed and stamped when the shaver was purchased in 1968.

Just thought you'd like to see it. And yes, it still works perfectly.

EDIT: I thought that pics uploaded here as embeds from our ATS account were supposed to have a horizontal scroll bar included. If anyone can tell me the how and why to fix this then please do. Meanwhile just right-click the images then click view image to see the whole pic/s.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e2145a4f2cb6.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6f2b5b2f1de5.jpg[/atsimg]

By the way, it's great to post stuff like you did, OP. There are plenty of things that can be hand-cranked or run on clockwork mechanisms and if there's no mains power and a person doesn't have solar and an inverter handy, they're very useful.

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 19/12/10 by JustMike because: of the reason I give in my edit.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Hmmm, I think I like the key wound one better : ), and the fact that it still works after 42 - nearly 43 years puts it so much higher in my estimation on the list of awesome products!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Yes, I was pretty impressed by it. And yes, it does give a fair shave as well.

You know, I expect that one reason these Russian ones were produced was because people sometimes had to travel quite long distances through the Soviet Union and still front up for duty/work/a wedding/funeral/whatever looking reasonably decent. And, seeing as electricity and even supplies of clean, hot water might have been rather iffy in some regions (and in fact they still are), a clockwork shaver was a fair solution.

I also have a clockwork 8-mm film camera. My wife used it back in the 1960s and 70s and it worked perfectly. It still does, though of course these days the cost of shooting and developing movie film is just not worth the effort of even sourcing the stock. A nice piece though.

One of the oddest things we have is a record player that has a clockwork motor to run the turntable, but which uses a "modern" (ie electric pickup) stylus and needs to be connected to an amplifier to hear what's played. I think this sort of device was mainly for use in cottages and other places where there was no mains power, but batteries could be used to run a small amplifier. After all, it's the motor in old record players that really chewed the juice.

Back in the days when "walkmans" and their copies and even "diskmans" were in common use, I wondered why they didn't make a "green" model that ran the drive mechanism (for tape or CD) from a clockwork motor and only used the batteries for the essential repro side of things. It would have given the batteries at least three times the life and could have even been constructed along the lines of the shaver you posted to take care of powering the electronics as well. If such a thing was ever made I never heard of it.

I assume that they would rather we all spent a fortune of batteries...

Mike

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Amazing what they come up with these days.. Though think will stick with my good old straight razer for shaving..

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:33 PM
link   
That razor looks like complete rubbish...

Sure you can crank it, but even in a survival situation you can still use your favorite straight razor...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Come on now....Electric Razors? please

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c79c4156f7c3.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

The crank shaver was offered firmly tongue in cheek
, and I happen to agree with the straight razor crew. You have to admit though, that the clockwork razor is a work of art!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   

My answer was tongue in cheek too.

I'm way too chicken to use a straight razor most of the time, they work really well of course but I've made the mistake of using one when I have still been half asleep and I still have a small scar on my upper lip to prove it.
It's not much use being a survivalist if your bleeding to death because your hand slipped

I use an old 1940's razor at the moment (the type that uses the traditional double sided razor blades)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

When I was 11 years old I went into the bathroom while everyone else was outside, and there was dad's double sided razor! My eyes got big and I wondered..... hmmmm, what's it like for grown women who shave their legs?
I grabbed the razor and drug it up my leg dry! To this day I have a whole ladder of evenly spaced scars where the darn thing hopped and skipped and bit its way into my flesh the whole way up
. Kids do the dumbest things!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   

As a biker myself i can state that yes most of the guys have beards and most of the girls dont have........ummmm.........beards. This would be great for those long camping trips

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Ouch! sounds painful

I have a little collection of antique razors and things.

When people actually had to shave with straight Razors all the time they would usually have them is sets of 7 with the days of the week embossed on the blades so that you didn't have to go and get the sharpened so much.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ccc2854e6a4f.jpg[/atsimg]

Then between that and the invention of the disposable ones people used these which are like small sections of a straight razor with a slight guard, they were considered "safe" I can tell you from experience that they are not

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/935ce795c567.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by lastrebel

As a biker myself i can state that yes most of the guys have beards and most of the girls dont have........ummmm.........beards. This would be great for those long camping trips

yes and they are know for going on outings as well, where these things might come in handy.

I personally, want all these things taken care permanently and never have to worry about it. No matter what one uses, it's going to wind up being uncomfortable unless it's permanent. Drawbacks of very sensitive skin.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Hahaha, funny thing is I know a few die hard survivalists who'd love to have one.

On a side note, when will they be releasing the crank operated vibrator?

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Yep, the idea of surviving armageddon and having all the women to myself was always spoiled for me before because I knew they would get hairy legs and armpits. I don't think my 20th century mind would allow me to procreate with a "natural" woman.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Cool find seenmyshare, you find some of the neatest stuff. thanks for posting. I really like the clockwork shaver too, I can see it having a much longer service life. Reminds me of some of the old stuff my grandad had back before everything was electric. He made a hand crank sausage grinder out of a Hudson transmission one time. Unfortunately noe that transmission is worth several thousand dollars, but has been rendered useless for use in a car anymore.
Back in the day though it was just taking up space, and he had quite an imagination.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join