It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RUSSIA CALLS FOR AN EMERGENCY MEETING OF UN SECURITY COUNCIL ON THE KOREAS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
www.presstv.ir...

Russia has called for an emergency meeting of the United Nations Security Council over the growing tensions between North and South Koreas.

Russia's Ambassador to the UN Vitaly Churkin said on Saturday that his respective government wants the Security Council to send a "restraining signal" to North Korea and resolve the disputes between the Koreas through diplomatic means.

He expressed regret that the Council did not convene its emergency meeting on the issue on Saturday, AP reported.

The US mission to the UN has announced that the meeting is scheduled to be held on Sunday because other council members need time for further consultations.

Russia's request comes a few hours after North Korea served a warning to South Korea over holding live-fire artillery exercises on the Yeonpyeong border island.

The upcoming exercise "would make it impossible to prevent the situation on the Korean Peninsula from exploding and escape its ensuing disaster," Pyongyang said in a statement.

South Korean officials, however, have vowed to carry out the drills on Monday or Tuesday.

Russia and China have expressed concern over the situation in the Korean Peninsula, urging South Korea to cancel its plans for the exercises.

On November 23, North Korea allegedly shelled Yeonpyeong Island, killing two South Korean marines and two civilians.

The North says the attack was in retaliation to artillery shells from the South Korean side that had landed in its waters.

ASH/AGB/MB

===========================================================================

SPOKESMAN FOR NORTH KOREA FOREIGN MINISTRY WARNS U.S. OF SEVERE CONSEQUENCES OF WORST SITUATION

Pyongyang, December 18 (KCNA) -- A spokesman for the DPRK Ministry of Foreign Affairs released the following statement on Saturday as regards the touch-and-go situation prevailing on the Korean Peninsula due to such projected military provocation of the south Korean puppet forces as planning to conduct again shelling from Yonphyong Island under the instigation of the U.S.:
Lurking behind the plan of the U.S. and the south Korean puppet forces to persistently conduct shelling from Yonphyong Island, the most sensitive dispute-torn area, is a sinister design to preserve the "northern limit line" and ignite a war at any cost.
By origin, this line was an illegal product as it was in violation of the Korean Armistice Agreement and all military moves of the south Korean puppet forces to defend it are gross violation of the AA.
According to Paragraph 13 of Article 2 of the AA, all the islands lying to the north and west of the provincial boundary line between Hwanghae Province and Kyonggi Province, except five islands including Paekryong and Yonphyong islands under the occupation of U.S. forces at that time, and all waters come under the control of the KPA side. And according to Paragraph 15 of Article 2 of the AA, the other side is barred from conducting any military action in the coastal areas under the control of the KPA side and in case of any such action the KPA side has the right to take whatever action it deems necessary.
After the conclusion of the AA, Clark, UN forces commander, unilaterally fixed the "northern limit line." This was a wanton violation of Paragraph 61 of Article 5 of the AA which stipulates that any modification of the AA can be made only under an agreement between both sides.
U.S. authorities including the U.S. secretary of State and the U.S. ambassador in south Korea admitted in the 1970s that the "northern limit line" was an illegal line in violation of international law.
Even when the U.S. and the south Korean puppet forces recently staged provocative military exercises one after another, the DPRK exercised self-restraint to the maximum unless their bullets and shells directly dropped in the territorial waters of the DPRK, prompted by the desire to prevent the situation from deteriorating on the Korean Peninsula and protect peace and stability.
Nevertheless, they are planning to fire shells again into territorial waters of the DPRK from Yonphyong Island where the atmosphere of fierce battle prevails due to the military clash that occurred in November. This is an intolerable mockery of the self-restraint on the part of the DPRK and an unjustifiable hostile provocation.
The shelling to be perpetrated by the puppet forces of south Korea at last, trespassing on the prohibiting line would make it impossible to prevent the situation on the Korean Peninsula from exploding and escape its ensuing disaster.
The revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK has already clarified solemnly that they would mete out decisive and merciless punishment to the provocateurs who encroach upon the sovereignty and territorial integrity of the DPRK.
The KPA does not make an empty talk.
It is necessary to clearly state in advance that the hostile forces will be accountable for the second Yonphyong Island incident in the light of the fact that they tried to paint the first Yonphyong Island clash as a "provocation" of the DPRK.
The U.S. is wholly to blame for the incident as it instigated the south Korean puppet forces to perpetrated the provocation. The entire international community including the neighboring countries is demanding an unconditional halt to the dangerous shelling from the island but it is only the U.S. that is openly egging them onto it.
It is, at the same time, making such threat and blackmail to the DPRK as urging it not to take any measure for self-defence.
After flying into south Korea in the first half of this month the chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff carefully worked out together with the puppet military warmongers a plan for shelling from the island to be staged by the south Korean forces with the assistance of U.S. forces. This plan calls on the U.S. troops to take a direct part in the projected shelling under the guise of command and observation, the provision of communication and medical care and the U.S. forces present in south Korea and all the troops of the puppet army to support the shelling, keeping themselves combat-ready.
The U.S. Department of State sent a threatening message to the DPRK, urging it not to forget there are Americans and foreign reporters on the island. The U.S. is providing even "a human shield."
All facts patently prove that the U.S. does not hesitate to harass peace and stability of a country for meeting its strategic interests.
The DPRK will force the U.S. to pay dearly for all the worst situations prevailing on the peninsula and its ensuing consequences

edit on 19-12-2010 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
The situation looks as though it's getting serious. Emergency meeting taking place today.

Now is the time to stay centred and calm and use all the power of our consciousness to help this process along. Visualise, pray, chant, whatever it is you do, peacefully and with strong belief that we CAN affect our world through directing our conscious will towards peace.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Russia seems to be the only great power with sane reason right now. USA sees no worse than Russia that the situation goes to war, but it is USA that wants that war. I don't believe the UNSC will have any impact on the situation on the peninsula, unless SKorea backs away in the last moment. After the statements of North Korea it will be very difficult not to shoot, even it is very little. And South Korea vowed a stronger response, the planes are ready to take off forgetting about North's anti aircraft missiles Russian license. Both want to go to war, therefore the great powers will allow them to do so (or vice versus).

I don't believe USA will enter into the trap of a second full war on the peninsula, at the delight of both Russia and China. But US may send symbolic presence, as called by KCNA "human shield". The Chinese boats were not incidental either. The surprising is the inadequate South Korean response - did you see the video on BBC? To kill one Chinese with sticks while trying to board the ship, that is neither democratic nor wise to play like that with the giant China. I bet China sent the boats and now cheers at that response that unties her hands if the things go too bad for the North. Unlike the Western view of China, its leadership needs undeniable facts to prove before its 1.5 bln population it takes the only possible course. Let me guess how much the ordinary Chinese now hate the South Korean police, army, president and independence, when they see the sticks on the video. "South Korea - the US police force in the region" or something like that. I wonder where are the smashed South Korean stores in China. Te Japanese were smashed after printing a textbook.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
it is a powder keg situation!
Russia 'seriously concerned' over Korea tensions

www.bbc.co.uk...

the unspoken interests of China and Russia is to keep the region from escalating to the pint that US military becomes involved. if at any time the US enters North Korean territory this puts them on the doorstep of either Russia's or China's borders.

edit on 023131p://2010-12-19T02:44:59-06:00201012 by bladdersweat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

Personally I think the North Korean issue is a set up
and sadly one way or another we will end with global violence

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   

edit on 043131p://2010-12-19T04:18:06-06:00201012 by bladdersweat because: blah

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
reply to post by wcitizen

Personally I think the North Korean issue is a set up
and sadly one way or another we will end with global violence

Yes, me too. ...I think there is real, deliberate US provocation going on. The US Cabal is struggling and desperate and they believe a huge war, WWIII, will get them out of trouble and also faciliate the next part of their Agenda. I don't think it will happen, though, China and Russia don't want it - they are big powers to make enemies of. Have we collectively reached a level of consciousness where we can stop this? Fingers crossed and prayers flowing!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen

Yes, me too. ...I think there is real, deliberate US provocation going on. The US Cabal is struggling and desperate and they believe a huge war, WWIII, will get them out of trouble and also faciliate the next part of their Agenda. I don't think it will happen, though, China and Russia don't want it - they are big powers to make enemies of. Have we collectively reached a level of consciousness where we can stop this? Fingers crossed and prayers flowing!

Wow, it sure didnt take long for the America hate bashing to commence!

I dont see US shelling N. Koreas waters or land. But oh, isnt that what NK did to SK? Hmmm.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights

Originally posted by wcitizen

I dont see US shelling N. Koreas waters or land. But oh, isnt that what NK did to SK? Hmmm.

Well, if you had read the news, you would know that S. Korea admitted that it had fired first, by 'accident'..but hey, there are none so blind as those who don't want to see. You would also know that those who want peace in the region had asked and asked US not to take part in the military exercise, in such a highly charged and provocative area.

It may have also escaped your notice that US doesn't automatically have the right to do whatever it wants, whenever it wants, wherever it wants. It may also have escaped your notice that it was US who provided NORTH Korea with its nuclear capability in the first place.

Keep watching the MSM and get all the latest lies.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Man this sucks...I DO NOT want fallout for Christmas,and I do not want to see thousands die in the Koreas.
What a situation-I actually wish the US/SK had dealt with this before mad kim and co had got the bomb.

The main worry I have is that if DPRK start getting their asses handed to them in the looming conflict,and decide to nuke the south,it will essentially spiral out of control-not only will China and Russia get involved,but it will almost give the US warhawks carte blanche to do what they always wanted:
to attack Iran before they get nukes.
In fact I think if the Korea situation goes nuclear,the people of the world and MSM will start DEMANDING that the US deal with Iran,so that we don't have a repeat of whats happening in Korea.

We are looking over the edge of possibly the biggest abyss since the Cuban missile crisis IMO.

I pray that sanity and decency will prevail,for all our sakes.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I have to say that I would like to see Kim forcefully removed from power,.
as to convey a message that his behavior is not tolerable.
In this time we live in the Ideals of oppression to his peoples has to end.
Not to mention a nutjob with nuke power

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

the only thing i could catch on the western media is that this is just russia taunting the us.

i say the us deserve it if thats the case.

let's hope

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The bottom line is lil Kim and his friends won't get their christmas toys, one way or another it's coal for them.
East asia should be free from nuclear threat, that's number one priority.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights

In this instance, I am actually glad that the United States has such a presence in South Korea. This situation has got me more concerned than any other in recent memory, and I am hoping that if anything does escalate to the point of mass casualties, that the Americans can use their force to shut it down as quickly as possible.

My heart goes out to the civilians in both the North and the South as they must all be under a great deal of stress right now.

Watching from the sidelines and praying that there is a peaceful solution to this mess, although I don't hold much hope at this point.

This is most certainly not the time to start pointing fingers and laying blame on any country at all as we all should know, this only escalates things further.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
BRING IT ON RUSSIA!!!!!

We can wipe out russia, wipe out north korea, wipe out iran,

that would make the world ALOT better place.....

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Looks like the talking has had no results.
Test firing due to begin at 1pm local time 4pm gmt.
Its only been put forward a couple of hours because of bad weather.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
The situation is out of control of Russia and China ,now everything is in the hands of US.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

BRING IT ON RUSSIA!!!!!

We can wipe out russia, wipe out north korea, wipe out iran,

that would make the world ALOT better place.....

And then there's some mornings on ATS that make you just want to puke.

By the by - I dunno if it's comforting to know there's an ignorant bully on the other side of the world saying the same thing or not.

peace
edit on 20-12-2010 by silo13 because: peace peace peace peace peace

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
well with any hope north korea will pull a full attack on the south and china will destroy the north and end the stale mate. then everyone will be in agreeance if the koreas can be unified as one. hard to say with the US backing the south? but if china was controlling the north it probably wouldn't be as hostile...we should hope

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

we should all nuke each other until no human survives, then the world can rest

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join