It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So, where are the jobs?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

I've worked for the same small business for over five years now, the job is there as long as the gov't keeps conning the people into going hopelessly into debt for their college education. How long the gov't can keep the presses running before they blow the economy to kingdom come is the question.
I also have a good chance of landing another job, again, printing industry. pay is a little more by what I am told, and the work is less physicallly demanding. unfortunately, the drive is a little farther away. so, I might be working somewhere else the end of next month.
but, I have a husband who is the main breadwinner, neither of these jobs would actually support me I don't think. As far as the accounting courses, I have an AAA in data processing, so I have taken three courses in accounting...didn't do much good when the area that I was living in when I got them would prefer to hire any man with no training whatsoever over any women, regardless of what she had done....
I also have to consider that obama's healthcare fiasco might not be overturned by the courts...in which case, at least my employers will be helping with the insurance costs. there is no way my family could come up with that kind of money and still have food on the table and a roof over our heads. that stupid law is gonna kill many of the self employed, contractors, ect....
the insurance is just unaffordable!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
the jobs are there in the minimum wage level...

career positions are in the accounting/business/economist fields... for example the workforce
at Goldman Sachs grew from ~3,000 to over 34,000 with many of those receiving +million dollar bonuses

the 'workforce' has changed in its composition just as industry and goods produced in the USA has
basically evaporated... being replaced by white collar information jobs, many-many Lawyers, MBAs
from the Yale & Harvard schools.... main street america is looked upon as useful idiots that are overpaid
and harbor illusions of getting rich ...

the American Dream has been laid to rest... replaced by diploma mills, house flippers, and a host of
other ploys to skim the cream from the top with out too much effort...
another case of keeping up with the Jones'...and i say why-not...exploit a niche you know !

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

ya, we could compete with china and india, but then society would have to lower their expectations a heck of alot!! and I bet about half of society wouldn't even accept a rooster living next door to them crowing every morning!

The problem is not OUR standard of living, but the slave labor of countries like China and the Far East. Our government is allowing the unequal playing field to take place. If we put heavy tariffs on Chinese goods, and other slave labor countries, then we could compete. Yes, cost of goods would be higher, but then again, people here would have JOBS to pay for them, unlike the current situation where the REAL unemployment rate ranges from 17% to 24% (U6 figures).

edit on 23-12-2010 by ProfEmeritus because: typo

new topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join