It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ANALYSIS: Iranians Arrested in Iraq, Trying to Detonate Explosives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Two Iranians were arrested in Iraq after being caught trying to detonate a car bomb in eastern Baghdad. Adding to the tensions and suspicions between the two nations which many years ago fought a bloody war, a conflict leading to war that evolved under Saddam's former regime....

Guardian (AP)

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) - The arrest of two Iranians suspected of attempting to carry out a vehicle bombing in Iraq on Monday focused new attention on how Tehran is trying to protect its interests in the country it fought for eight years in a devastating war.

So far, Iran is believed to have used money, not guns, to influence Iraq - particularly by spreading wealth among Shiite political factions - while avoiding a direct confrontation with its longtime rival the United States.

Monday's arrests came on the heels of comments by Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari saying some neighboring countries were financing and training terrorists in Iraq, apparently referring to Iran and Syria.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Tehran strongly denies any connection to terrorism in Iraq.

There are many in the region and the world who believe that Iran may be attempting to create a neighbor nation of majority Shiites such as their own at many levels including support of terrorism. Again Tehran strongly denies this.

This incident involving Iranians plotting a bombing inside of Iraq will only add to the suspicions of the current Iraqi government.

Realted News:

Iran wants role in shaping Iraq's political future

[edit on 6-7-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:23 PM
link   
It has now been found that these two have identified themseves as Iranian Intelligence officers, confirming the Iranian government as an instigator of political unrest in Iraq.

Senior officials said it was previously believed that Iran had officers inside Iraq stirring up violence, but this is the first time that self-proclaimed Iranian intelligence agents have been captured within the country.

Fox News

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Thanks Phoenix

This did seem strange to me.. if it is proven that these Iranians are indeed government operatives from Iran it would be both a provocative act against the new Iraqi government and the U.S.A.

I am getting a strong feeling that we are getting very close to some kind of armed conflct with the Iranians.

Only time will tell.

Gazz

[edit on 6-7-2004 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
With their intransience on the nuclear program - all but thumbing their nose at everyone, the capture of the British sailors which is now disputed on the point of them being in Iranian waters in the first place, The suspected steady flow of men and material for operations in Iraq and now the capture of Iranian intell redhanded with explosives meant to kill Iraqis and Americans I would have to agree that much trouble is on the horizon. If this information pans out into hard indisputable fact it could be construed as an act of war by Iraq or America both of whom I believe are not ready or able to act at this time, theres always in the backround Israels patience to consider as well.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I think Iran is on the path to democracy. Look at the last Presidential elections, there is a generation there who want thier MTV. I'm afraid that America is going to screw it up, and create resentment towards us. Iran has always been the seat of intellectual thought, I think these hardliners will be ousted, if democracy can grow naturally. If we go in there with guns, they will hate us. We need a delicate hand. A question, who in the hell made the border so porous!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by UM_Gazz[/i

I am getting a strong feeling that we are getting very close to some kind of armed conflct with the Iranians.

Only time will tell.

I think it is only a matter of time too. I think the Iranians want to take Iraq over and make it West Iran!

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
A long but very interesting article from the the New Yorker, talking about Iran, and the issue of Israel training Kurdish commando units to fight sunni and shia militia. Well worth a look.
As June 30th approaches, Israel looks to the Kurds

In July, 2003, two months after President Bush declared victory in Iraq, the war, far from winding down, reached a critical point. Israel, which had been among the war�s most enthusiastic supporters, began warning the Administration that the American-led occupation would face a heightened insurgency�a campaign of bombings and assassinations�later that summer. Israeli intelligence assets in Iraq were reporting that the insurgents had the support of Iranian intelligence operatives and other foreign fighters, who were crossing the unprotected border between Iran and Iraq at will. The Israelis urged the United States to seal the nine-hundred-mile-long border, at whatever cost.

The border stayed open, however.

In particular, the article highlights the dangers of a more indepentant kurdistan to the stability of the region, since an Isreali supported state on border of Iran would enflame tensions....somewhat!

The top German national-security official told me that he believes that the Bush Administration continually misread Iran. �The Iranians wanted to keep America tied down in Iraq, and to keep it busy there, but they didn�t want chaos,� he said. One of the senior German officials told me, �The critical question is �What will the behavior of Iran be if there is an independent Kurdistan with close ties to Israel?� Iran does not want an Israeli land-based aircraft carrier��that is, a military stronghold��on its border.�

[edit on 6-7-2004 by muppet]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
I think Iran is on the path to democracy. Look at the last Presidential elections, there is a generation there who want thier MTV. I think these hardliners will be ousted, if democracy can grow naturally. If we go in there with guns, they will hate us. We need a delicate hand. A question, who in the hell made the border so porous!

I work with several Iranians that keep in contact with relatives inside Iran and they rail against the ignorance of the Mullahs and their uneducated thugs. An internal resistence is in existence but anytime something is organized its brutally put down by the secret police.

Your hope of democracy suddenly appearing in Iran if left to their own devices is a good but naive hope as long as the mullahs have the backing of the revolutionary guard and secret police.

Seems to me the best hope for your idea of resolution hinges on our success in democratizing Iraq as example for the Iranians - does it not?

new topics

top topics

join