It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ghost towns of China: Amazing satellite images show cities meant to be home to millions lying de

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Starred and Flagged. Great find!

Here is an interesting twist to this story, however:
www.foreignpolicy.com...

Still, China's emphasis on growth at all costs is creating some bizarre monsters, and Kangbashi is one of them. Six years ago, Ordos county officials decided to move their headquarters out of old, cramped Dongsheng and into land that was then occupied by two small villages inhabited by about 1,400 people. By the end of 2008, the new district of Kangbashi was crisscrossed with 2.4 billion yuan ($352 million) worth of roads. Officials initially said they expected the population to reach 100,000 this year and 300,000 by 2020. They also say the population reached 50,000 last year, which seems improbable given that pedestrians on the street were outnumbered by street sweepers. A local real estate agent, Cao Ting, told me it had actually been easy to sell apartments. She said 80 percent of the apartments had been sold. I believed her even though 80 percent of them looked empty, with no curtains or furniture visible during the day and no lights on at night. The buyers were mostly investors or future residents waiting for schools and hospitals to open before moving in.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Hope this doesn't date me too much, but a best seller from the 1960's comes to mind, White Lotus.

The heroine of the story was a young lady captured in Southern California, a teenage white girl, enslaved by the occupying Chinese forces that overwhelmed the USA (at some fictional future time). She was shipped back to China, with some of her journey perhaps unpleasant, but predictable.

White Lotus is still regarded by many of the most influential writers of today as a book that challenged them. It was a story that went outside the accepted lines of the time, and asked the average, comfortable white-westerner to consider "changing places" so-to-speak, with a "slave". The only culture and separate civilisation on the planet that could garner enough "respect" to make for serious Western competition, and thus a plausible story-line, was China. And so it is today, in terms of numbers, culture, and perhaps even nationalistic aspirations.

SO, in regards to these empty cities, "what if" they are prepared, in advance, for a major transfer of population that is being considered by our masters in the near future?

Since the Far East is the final major hurdle for absolute global control, it would certainly make sense that they have been taken into account in some way.

By the way, the book I mentioned considered various social and cultural issues, in a way that forced the Westerner to look inside themselves, even at their past. It is well worth picking up, even if it isn't Shakespeare.

JR

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

It's certainly interesting, but isn't this the same as what America and the UK have done? We've created bubbles to replace the economic growth that would have been lost.

America pumped trillions into corporate business.
The UK pumped cash into the banks.
China pumped cash into building fake infrastructure.

If anyone has done it more correctly, I would have to say China had the right idea.

All three economies would have collapsed (and they still will because there has been no recovery and this is just a show) if the bubbles hadn't been replaced. But at least China has something physical to show for it, something that can be of use in the future. And that money went to the building companies, employing millions of people. Where did our money go in the UK and USA? It went into the pockets of greedy bankers who still refuse to lend to stimulate business.

China has made the right decision in a no-win situation. When the economy does collapse, they have the ability to spread their people throughout the country and start regional economies. They'll be surrounded by land able to be farmed. They'll have the infrastructure in place to support it. People have somewhere to go to escape the major cities and start all over again.

What will the US and UK do? We already have a shortage of housing in the UK. There is little space to farm. Concentrations of population are very unhealthy in most regions.

It might seem like a waste, and it probably wasn't done for the right reasons, but I think China has inadvertently made the right choice to invest in the future of their people rather than supporting solely a wealthy elite.

That's just my take on it. It's far more complex than that, but it's the easiest way to explain it.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Well they are sure planning to do something with the people of china. Im sure the construction workers are enjoying the work. It is still providing money to them and if noone lives there that makes nothing for the government but it makes money for the workers. So i guess its creating jobs for a non existant economy.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
maybe it just goes to prove....
just because you build it, doesn't mean the people will come????
maybe their cheap labor can't afford the price of such nice living quarters??
of course, before they cleared the land to build all these nice buildings, there could have been peasants on it growing rice or whatever well, having a better live than they are now, being that cheap labor that is ready to jump off the nearest rooftop...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   
china is just preparing itself ...
all the roads and houses are gonna be bustling with activity over the coming years.

not only that...but the infrastructure will undoubtedly be first class and super efficient
in london we open a new road...and within the hour its a traffic jam.....we are not prepared.

another thing...if in the next 20 years...carbon emmissions are severely restricted....thats not a problem for china...because they saw it coming and built hard and fast before they were totally restricted.

china is making no mistakes.

trust me everything is going to plan.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:34 AM
link   
What they should do is sell these barren cities to Michael Bay. Not only will they make their money back, they'll also be able to subject Americans to the worst form of Chinese torture since the invention of lingchi: Transformer Movies.

posted on Jan, 25 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
These millions of homes will be the future of our workforce I believe!

Do not dismiss this news!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join