It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Professional fund-raisers pocket more than half of money raised for charities, Massachusetts Attorne

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

SPRINGFIELD – Professional fundraisers pocketed $328 million – or 57 cents of every dollar – donated to charities across the state last year, according to a report by the state Attorney General’s office. Attorney General Martha M. Coakley said the findings of her office’s annual charity review underscore the perils of donating to charities that hire for-profit fundraising companies to conduct public appeals.

Article Source

I guess it's great I rarely donate to charities like these. It's terrible to see how people can get rich off others who less fortunate. The charities I donate to I can see that the people in need are having their needs met.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Snickersman

I always questioned the integrity of some of these charities.I want to donate to some of the children charities(the ons you see on tv,overseas charities) but I always have a feeling of doubt that the monies are actually getting to them.So what I do instead I give to some of the more local ones,that I know will get the money.It's really a shame that there are so many dishonest people that are in the business of raising funds for themselves,instead of going to the people that need it.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
In some cases it's not the charities fault, these "professional fundraiser" organizations go around, seeking out a charity they can hold fundraisers for, and set up the deal so that they keep most of the money raised. The charities end up being taken advantage of

We had a bust in the local news not too long ago, some "church bingo" organization would ask churches to let them hold Las Vegas Nights in their churches every Saturday night on their behalf, keeping as much as 80% of the take. It was just a scam to get around gambling laws, and churches desperate to keep their doors open fell for it.

Lot of shady operators out there, these middlemen are depriving the charity of their money and taking advantage of the donors. Do yourself a favor and give your money directly to the charity, and not to some "professional" fundraiser.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Places like Charity Watch can help you take a look at the percentage the charity actually gets. Charity Navigator is another one.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Snickersman

We have a large building owned by World Vision in my town, you know, that right wing Christian Charity?
They all pull up in Mercs and BMW's, they all live in very wealthy neighborhoods and they all waltz around like they are somehow better than everyone else.

I do not give to a national/global charity unless I know where the money is going.

Most of the large charities are nothing but con schemes designed to keep a few in luxury while doing very little work. They fill their own pockets and fill themselves with a superior attitude when in reality they are bottom feeders, the lowest form of scum profiteering from suffering.

new topics

top topics

join