It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet running out of IPs in 62 days

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by havok

That's the same thing I was thinking.
How can you just run out of a numerical sequence?
I admit that I don't know much about IP address beyond their basic use and function.
But still why not just add some more numbers?
Thanks for the post, very interesting information.
Also IPocalypse : ) creative.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Well, it looks as though the entire 32bit changed my attitude.
Glad I'm not a network guru.

If this isn't a global issue, in which it would be insane amounts of work...

I look at it this way, instead of this gov't spending money on ridiculous EAR MARKS...
CREATE JOBS and build our infrastructure up to what it should be.
But no, they want to keep people on unemployment.
The same tax money used to pay for people to sit at home, could be used to repair our own problems.
ALL of them.
Even if it's our own tax dollars at work, at least it will people working again.
Our roads are in shambles too...
I'd rather my taxes go towards building our country back than where they are going now. (banks?)
Imagine how many jobs could be created if we had an entire system upgrade?
Especially in the private sector.

Don't think its possible?
Anything is possible...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenflt

The privacy issues are surrounding proxies and VPN's that use PPTP and other such encryption methods. However SSL is i believe still safe from the IPv6 vulnerability.

This isn't really news, the ISP's have seen this coming and are capable of running IPv6, it might cause a small hiccup here and there but it won't be bad enough for anyone to really notice.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I have heard this prediction before and it never came to pass. I bet that in two months time the internet will continue and talk of running out of IP addresses would have fizzled out, just like 99% of the predictions on this website and across the internet generally.

Don't panic.

Regards

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
I have heard this prediction before and it never came to pass. I bet that in two months time the internet will continue and talk of running out of IP addresses would have fizzled out, just like 99% of the predictions on this website and across the internet generally.

Don't panic.

Regards

Well no there is a limit to the permeatations that the current IP system can fit in, there is a maximum number of addresses so they will run out, however you are correct in the idea that this won't have much of an effect. The ISP's have seen it coming a mile off, IPv6 gives a load more addresses to use along with other advantages.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

Alot of the big ISP have not even started to upgrade to IPv6.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
To someone who doesn't really know what this means other than this could cause havoc,
can you please tell me what this means and how it will be solved

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I see you've been studying internet protocols.

In class, the instrutor said when IPv4 was introduced, the said there would no way that all the addresses would be used. Ha! The surprise was on them. IPv4 is 2 to the power of 32 while IPv6 is 2 to the power of 128.

IPv4 = 4,294,967,296
IPv6 = 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,770,000,000

The funny thing about this is that he said we'll probably run out of these addresses eventually and go to IPv7 which would be 2 to the power of 256.

IPv7 = 115,792,089,237,316,195,423,570,985,008,690,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,

We just looked at him like WTF?

edit on 21/12/10 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
This thing could cause another boom in the economy for computer technologies. This could be the best thing to happen.

Everyone is still running on IPV4 and the only reason it continues is because people do not upgrade fast enough. But this is going to change. If they run out of IPV4 IP's then its a sure bet that DNS companies allready know about this and are implementing the new V6. They will lach out the new tech when the old one is fully used. There would be no other reason people would upgrade, then necessity.

Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the WEB 3.0 with a tangeant towards IPV6 and a new html that will no longer need plugins like flash and such, to build rich applications. Bring it on!!!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
For those who don't understand why we can't simply tack on an extra octet to IPv4, let me give a brief tutorial. An IP address is actually easier to understand in binary. This is how a computer sees it, and this is why there is not simply an easy fix as adding on another octet.

This equates to 10.0.0.1. This is an important IP address, as it is the reason we haven't run out of IP addresses decades ago. This is for intranet (intra, not inter). It allows a company to take a single public IP address (for example, 12.10.128.1) and use it for every device within their network (and many devices require dozens) utilizing something called NAT. IPs have also been rationed out even further by something called subnet masking. This changes an IP to 12.10.128.0 / 30 (a point to point interface).

Looking at a direct connection between two routers (ISP A talkin to ISP B), the absolute bare minimum of IP addresses required is 4. Network address, broadcast address,and then an IP address for each interface. Before variable length subnetting was introduced (a technique of subnetting that allows different masks within the same IP address to be used simultaneously), they could potentionally be wasting a good 28 IP address on that connection. (by having to apply 32 IP addresses to something that only requires 4).

Adding a domain name (such as .kom or .ats as was suggested) is comparing apples and oranges. That is DNS. The DNS server takes an alias, (such as www.abovetopsecret.com) and applies it to a IP address and folder... to get something like 10.158.10.4/abovetopsecret. This is how IPs can be conserved.

The problem with running out of IP addresses is how they were assigned in the first place. They are divided into classes, A, B, C. D and E are used for different purposes and are never assigned to customers. Each of these classes are broken up further via IP subnet masks (as described above). Some of the problems we are experiencing are the following:

1) Some idiot assigned 127.x.x.x (what should be a Class A), as a loopback address. Do you really need 16,777,213 ways to do a local loopback on your computer? What a waste.
2) The country that assigned the IP addresses for use throughout the world made sure they took the lions share.

So, who exactly is holding up the conversion to IPv6? The United States. You might think it was third world countries, etc., but they have already converted to IPv6 and are screaming for the US to catch up. The US is not in a rush because we made sure we had tons of IPs for our use. They originally assigned very small blocks of IPs to different countries, but as technology becomes wider spread, they used them up quick. NAT (which I described above), has seriously screwed up the push to IPv6. It allows us to create networks within networks eliminating the "need" to push to IPv6 as soon as possible.

Ugh... I could go on and on with this subject, and I don't think I did it justice summarizing it as much as I have. I have a shelf of my library dedicated to books on just this very subject.

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
Internet running out of IPs in 4 days !

"It is about 4 days left to IPocalyse. "

The world is basically not ready to move from the current solution, IPv4, to tomorrow's solution, IPv6

Taking it seriously

- That is correct, as you write, that the world is about to run out of available IPv4 addresses. But there is a strong exaggeration when it claimed that "the world goes under" (IPocalypse), wrote Vice President Knut Sollid Telenor to E24 just before Christmas.

He pointed out then that the internet does not stop when you run out of IP addresses, and that everything will continue to operate as they are accustomed.

- IPv4 does not stop working even if we run out of addresses, he wrote.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join