It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mark Thompson: Britain needs a channel like Fox News

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

Mark Thompson, the BBC's director general, said British broadcasters should be free to launch an equivalent to Fox News in the UK because existing rules to guarantee impartiality in television were becoming outdated in the era of the internet.

Thompson, while speaking at a Whitehall seminar on impartiality in broadcasting, said that as the distinction between the web and television collapses, it no longer makes sense for public service broadcasters such as the BBC, ITV and Channel 4, to have a "monopoly" over the airwaves.

What do you Brits think about this? Do you want to liberalize your news broadcasting to be more like the United States?

In my opinion your current news is far more informative than America’s liberalized version of news. When I watch BBC America it gives a lot more interesting facts, figures, and real journalism than anything MSNBC, CNN, or FOX offers.

Of course this will lead to greater innovation and competition in the news place but at what cost? It will be at the cost of public knowledge and decision making. They will sell the products and ideas that their masters tell them, at least with the government running/subsidizing the news it may not be exactly real journalism either but it is a heck of a lot better than news outlets serving their corporate masters.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   
I truly wonder if British journalist are responsible enough to be able to handle having the rule on impartiality taken away.

Our televised news media where these rules are in place is widely regarded as some of the best and most informative in the world while our print media (Newspapers) where no such rules exist are commonly regarded as completely biased nonsense that can't even be trusted to report the weather without making a political point out of it

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Anyone in the UK with Freeview should watch Russia Today on channel 85.

Frankly, the BBC and Sky are just carbon copies of one another reporting on the same murders, rapes and other gloomy stories to keep the public in a state of fear. Right now we've got wall to wall coverage about snowfall.

Russia Today have documentaries, features and actually report on controversial subjects. It's probably twice as informative/educational about the world we live in than the rest of the UK media put together.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mc1km

Well the BBC does make 100's of documentaries on such things, like Panorama, it just keeps them out of the news channels

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by mc1km

I like Russia Today, they cover many of the topics that most UK/US news outlets wouldn't go anywhere near. But what you have to ask yourself is; why?

The clue being in the channels name.

As for the OP: the idea that UK news could turn into the horrific crap you have over there makes me angry. Of course, our news isn't perfect (understatement) but I can't watch your news channels for more than 1 minute before I want to scratch out my eyeballs.

I think I'll stick to getting my news from ATS, which of course, is much better

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
We've already got a Murdoch propaganda channel in most households. Its called Sky News...

Do we want it on normal terrestrial TV. NO.

Whenever i'm in the USA i'm painfully aware I don't know whats happening in the world. Such is the magnitude of tosh masquerading as reporting.

The current UK system is imperfect but we do not want to make it worse.

To get any idea whats happening you have to watch multiple channels cover the same story. I do that often with BBC/SKY/CNN/RT. I'd include Fox but the idiocy hurts my brain too much to stand for more than a minute at a time.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I don't think a channel like Fox would work in the UK. Hyping up the division in politics and adopting a partisan stance favouring one party isn't really something the British public would buy in to. I Hope they do launch a channel like fox because maybe the British public would smell a rat. It's more likely they won't even notice the new channel.

Lets face it, if launched, then the bailout money would fund the Channel just like in the USA with MSNBC and the WikiLeaks revelation of where the bail out money went. What better way to propagandize the public than have the public pay for their own enslavement. In England it would be a double Whammey. A coup. Because the tax payers already fund the BBC.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure Sky news is owned by NewsCorp anyway, right?

Seems as though Britain already has a Fox News [sic]...

new topics

top topics

join