It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists: We're people, just like you.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
reply to post by Kailassa

A teenager from the Kafir UK society, possibly has bone in nose and tramp-stamp, not even old enough to buy alcohol or get into a club.

This is what I can ascertain about you reading maybe 4 to 8 of your posts...

please do not show your knickers we are totally not interested

JUST WOW!!!! I feel so TOTALLY PWNED!!!!

Yuv totally got it man.

Yoo guest eggs ackly wot I wannabee wen I GROW UP some more!!!!

Thats just TO FREEKY!!!!

Just for that, I'll let you have a peak at a couple of my sweaty leather thongs.

I dont need to tell ennythink about myself now, yuv dun it all all reddie!!!!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Hey look, now you're attacking Kail!

I mean, seriously, you're resorting to baseless personal attacks. Kailassa is not an atheist for your information.

Also, what's your obsession with this vaguely racist notion of a 'bone in your nose'?

Oh, and if all atheists are teenagers...how am I turning 22 on Thor's day?

Considering the present company, I thought he called me atheist as a complement.
I always did like a nice suntan and interesting jewellery.
And being a teenager should be much better third time around.

edit on 19/12/10 by Kailassa because: formatting

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   

More random numbers! Yay.

Listen, try providing some sources for any of your claims about atheists. I've lost track of all of them, but I remember there were a lot of things you said about how we're evildoers, heroin addicts, teenagers, etc.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
As an atheist, I would like to say

I am like -some- of you..not all of you..

because lets face it...some of you are idiots.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Madness, usually in this world you are treated in a way consistent with the way you treat others. If you believe somehow you are being treated in a poor way may I suggest it has more to do with the way you interact on the board and less to do with your personal beliefs.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

AMEN to that.

Radical atheism will always be countered on ATS, for that I am grateful .

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

madnessinmysoul

I have to answer your question! You do have a spiritual life. I am sure of that. Wether it is because of a deity or a superior being it is in existance is not the question. When you owe such a kind of life you are spiritual. Many start to realize such an existence. To live in the Spirit. Joyeouss as we are.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33

Madness, usually in this world you are treated in a way consistent with the way you treat others. If you believe somehow you are being treated in a poor way may I suggest it has more to do with the way you interact on the board and less to do with your personal beliefs.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

AMEN to that.

Define "radical atheism", and then point to examples of how madness falls into that catagory.

Does radical athiesm = giving answers to a current scientific understanding? giving answers to a question? wow...that is radical.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

I have a question for any atheist who wants to be respected for the person who he/she is, without being judged on the basis of their atheism.

Can you honestly say you have the same respect for one who believes in god as you would have for that person if he/she was an atheist?

If your respect is lowered because that person is a theist, how can you ask to be respected by theists?

I don't have to respect an idea a person has to respect a person.
I don't respect the choice of having anchoves on pizza, but hell..my mom does that and I respect her (even though she is clearly nuts for having damned fish pizza).

Do you need to have identical beliefs with no debate ever to respect someone? Sounds like one tall order and inevitably will end up respecting nobody (because nobody is the same).

I do not respect a persons choice to ignore facts, but that person may treat their family well, and I respect that..The sum of a person is greater than any single system of beliefs, or preferences..them as a full person is what I personally judge to respect or not respect...and so far, I respect almost everyone I have gotten to know...

although some of those same people have some really stupid ideas.. (like fish pizza or religion)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

More random numbers! Yay.

Listen, try providing some sources for any of your claims about atheists. I've lost track of all of them, but I remember there were a lot of things you said about how we're evildoers, heroin addicts, teenagers, etc.

That reminds me...will you be bringing the puppies to sacrifice at tonights drug fueled anti-god party? I would, but I gotta finish my maths homework before school tomorrow. Still stuck on this long division.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33

AMEN to that.

Yes, AMEN to the idiocy rampant on ATS being due to me trying to calmly disagree with people and show them that evolutionary biology is actual science.

You keep using that phrase "radical atheism", I keep asking you for examples and an explanation, you keep not providing any of that.

reply to post by etherical waterwave

The only thing in me that can be considered spiritual in my unbounded awe at the function of the natural universe. No need for faeries to exist at the bottom of my garden for me to see the beauty in it.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
I don't have to respect an idea a person has to respect a person.
I don't respect the choice of having anchoves on pizza, but hell..my mom does that and I respect her (even though she is clearly nuts for having damned fish pizza).

Do you need to have identical beliefs with no debate ever to respect someone? Sounds like one tall order and inevitably will end up respecting nobody (because nobody is the same).

I do not respect a persons choice to ignore facts, but that person may treat their family well, and I respect that..The sum of a person is greater than any single system of beliefs, or preferences..them as a full person is what I personally judge to respect or not respect...and so far, I respect almost everyone I have gotten to know...

although some of those same people have some really stupid ideas.. (like fish pizza or religion)

I can't agree with everything you say here. I make a mean seafood pizza. Your rejection of the king of all pizzas would never stand against even a whiff it. I've had pizza which has brought me to my knees, opening my heart, - um no, that was my bowels, until I was praying for salvation. - I'm never buying badly dinted cans of tuna off the specials trolley again.

I keep hearing about these "atheist evolutionists" who despise everyone who disagrees with them, but I guess I'll have to keep searching to find some for my research.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
The only thing in me that can be considered spiritual in my unbounded awe at the function of the natural universe. No need for faeries to exist at the bottom of my garden for me to see the beauty in it.

A place where the theist and the atheist can meet.
Whether it's an experience of the numinous or a sense of unbounded awe is only semantics once you are lost in it.

And of course there are no faeries in the garden. That idea's unproven and unscientific, and people only got that idea from a misunderstanding when they got confused about the dryads in the forest.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Fish pizza is an abomination to all pizza kind and should be ridiculed and rejected!

pepperoni did not bake in the oven for our cheese just so you can toss fish on it...its insulting.
your going to mcdonalds for your views!

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Fish pizza is an abomination to all pizza kind and should be ridiculed and rejected!

pepperoni did not bake in the oven for our cheese just so you can toss fish on it...its insulting.
your going to mcdonalds for your views!

Waaah, you are persecuting me for my pizzas!
The fish is the symbol of the world's biggest religion, so you must throw it on everything or you will go to hell.
Or are you one of those afishists who refuse to swallow cod-liver oil icing on their muffins?
- or yummy sardine ice-cream

Btw, did you know Catholics eat fish on Fridays because that was the deal a pope made with a bunch of fishermen in Southern Italy in return for them becoming Catholics?

- but not necessarily in their gelatis.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Walking These Dirty Streets
With Hate In My Mind
Feeling The Scorn Of The World
I Won't Follow Your Rules
Blame And Lies, Contradictions Arise

Nonconformity In My Inner Self
I Only Guide My Inner Self

I Won't Change My Way
It Has To Be This Way
I Live My Life For Myself
Forget Your Filthy Ways

Nobody Will Change My Way
Life Betrays, But I Keep Going
There's No Light, But There's Hope
Crushing Oppression, I Win

Betraying And Playing Dirty,
You Think You'll Win
But Someday You'll Fall,
And I'll Be Waiting
Laughs Of An Insane Man, You'll Hear
Personality Is My Weapon Against Your Envy

Walking These Dirty Streets
With Hate In My Mind
Feeling The Scorn Of The World
I Won't Follow Your Rules
Nonconformity In My Inner Self
Only I Guide My Inner Self

edit on 2010/12/21 by etherical waterwave because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

That's thoughtful, EW, to reciprocate by giving us this insight into your own inner self.

Must be hell for you, living like that.

Here's one about the way I feel:

edit on 21/12/10 by Kailassa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Well I think that you have to bear in mind that we both live in very different society's . The social and cultural differences between the USA and New Zealand are considerable .

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I say Madnessinmysoul deserves an applause for his work on the board here in Religion, Faith & philosophy.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
I am an atheist.

I am also conceited, sarcastic, short-tempered, lazy, self-indulgent and an unabashed elitist.

It takes all sorts.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
On the Question of Respect

It's a dicey one, isn't it? I wish I could say my own position was as saintly as Benevolent Heretic's. Sadly, mine is a bit more... nuanced.

Over and above the basic respect one has for another human being, I suppose I respect people for their personal quallities, which are mostly displayed in their behaviour. Religious belief is not a personal quality, and apart from making people engage in certain rituals, actually seems to have very little effect on their day-to-day behaviour. In this sense, believers and non-believers are very much alike. As davespanners said (was it in this thread?): you can't tell a person's beliefs unless they wear a badge.

Most of the time, because of this, a person's religious beliefs or lack of them will not be a factor in compelling either my respect or my contempt. Honour, justice, courage, courtesy, commitment, decency, humour, forethought, competence... these are some of the qualities that earn my respect – earn anybody's respect. There are many more, and neither believers nor infidels have any monopoly on them.

There are some people, however, whose religious beliefs do appear to alter their day-to-day behaviour. At any rate, that is what they themselves believe – and these are serious believers; they have adopted their religion as a personal quality. In such cases one does not so much judge the person in the light of the religion as judge the religion in the light of the person.

If someone is clearly a better person because of their beliefs, it reflects well on their religion. And if someone is clearly a worse person because of their religion, then it is perhaps the religion that is at fault, not the person. But then again, there are many varieties of religious attitude, and in the end we all choose the one that best suits his or her personality. Some Buddhists give Buddhism a good name; some give it a bad one.

And then, there are the people who do wear a badge – often an obvious one like a veil, a caste-mark, a ringlet or yarmulke, a cross, the medal of a saint, a dreadlock or a turban. For such people their faith is an integral part of their self-presentation. In olden times this was normal, and it is still unremarkable in traditional societies; there, it doesn't mean much. But when somebody wears such a badge in modern, secular society – even a less than obvious one, such as a Mormon missionary's super-all-American dress code or an Islamic traditionalist's beard – they are demanding to be judged by their religion.

Here is where the difficulty lies for me. I find it hard to give much respect to fundamentalists of any religion. They are, at bottom, all the same, whether they worship Jesus, Allah, Ram, Yahweh or Karl Marx. The wellspring of their faith is their outraged rejection of a modern world in which they find – or only think – themselves disadvantaged or displaced. This rejection of everyday reality involves plenty of denial, the embrace of myths and lies in preference to facts and truth, the projection of one's own faults onto others and demands for their extirpation, by violence if need be. How can one possibly respect a person mired in such a slough?

There is also the vexed question of people who believe in fundamentally ridiculous things, such as astrology or the Law of Attraction. It's really, really hard to preserve one's respect for the intelligence and perceptivity of someone who believes that guff. Still, they may have other qualities one can respect. That is not often the case with the fundamentalists I have known.

edit on 22/12/10 by Astyanax because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join