It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Perception and Projection when Connecting to People Online

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
How close do you feel to the folks here? Are they friends in the sense of real-life friends?

There are a few who fit into the category of friend. Some here, some elsewhere. But the majority of cyber 'friends' are what I would call acquaintances in real life. I have made lifelong friends on the Internet, though. People who I've been in touch with for many years, who I love and still haven't met face-to-face. Amazing, isn't it?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

here it goes both ways. either they're on track with you or they are against you, although some don't know where they are at and feel out of place.

it all depends on the subject matter and i suppose we all feel one way or another from instance to instance, subject to subject
edit on 18-12-2010 by aliengenes because: add

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating Or is it that ones real life face and body is a reflection of a persons true lifestyle and character and not having that can lead to impaired judgement about the person?

I have seen that when one goes through some inner changes or alter their lifestyle then it reflects on their body and face.
Unless one is good at putting up appearances and pretending, which is not uncommon, one can say few things about them by observing the facial features and the body. By face I mean the facial expressions (like a genuine smile, frown, stare etc) and not the aesthetic appeal of it. Needless to mention the neatness and dressing sense also counts.

Connecting with people virtually is interesting because its like a disembodied connection. If you believe in souls and energy-fields or in humans not being a body but a soul or a mind, then Internet should actually help people to communicate mind-to-mind, without the physical distraction.
That might be evidence that we are
all connected in some way that transcends the physical body.

Here is a quote on same topic of Deepak Chopra that he posted on twitter:
"Through the flow of energy & information we regulate each other's body-mind. Lets use twitter for planetary healing"

Originally posted by SkyfloatingAnother thing: Do you think people purposefully prefer Forums such as this not to be Webcam based? Do you think your responses to people would change if you knew what they looked like? Would their looks change your opinions of them? How many posts are misunderstood because we cant see facial expressions?How do you discern between perception and projection?

Yes, I think there is a fair possibility to have a wrong perception about others based on their posts. In fact photographs can also be deceiving come to think of it, as they can show how one looks but there are lot other things to a personality. BUT yes, they do form first impressions which is also important.
As for me, I am normally not into any habit of judging people based on their posts or avatars on this forum and I am not good at that too(even though naturally it might happen at times). Honestly since most of the people are strangers, I think it is better to draw a line unless there is a natural bonding formed with someone, and I don't think it happens quite often.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by aliengenes
I have found that once I've developed a connections with people, I know when they are lying and that that connection isn't broken even after we're no longer online, almost as if Ive entered into them and could literally see through their eyes. anywhere in the world

Thats something fascinating to say. Some really good reading in this thread. "see through their eyes anywhere in the world".

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by havok

...and personally I prefer the sound of a womans voice, over her keystrokes.

Well, some say a womans strokes are the key...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

from time to time if i stay focused on someone of interest and Ive developed a connection. I feel as if I'm in their mind and I'm looking through their eyes seeing what they are seeing as they move through their daily lives. I suppose you might call it remote viewing? although Ive never participated in any studies for this phenomenon, I am aware of being clairvoyant, which most if not all of us are from one degree or another.
I try not doing it any more because it always gets me in trouble, and its hard to develop relationships with people if you know that most if not all are agenda motivated and sincerity is the farthest thing from their minds. but it does come in handy

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
If I never got to read opinionated posts from my member friends in the politics area or the jokes from my friends in the general chit chat and ATS chat area it would make me sad. That is what gets at me though, I do not actually know these people, why do they mean anything to me?

I dont know. What sparked the idea for this thread was that s-dogs father died and it touched me and I asked: Why does this concern me? I dont know s-dog personally, much less his father.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Oh man…

I feel so sorry for S-Dog, I hope he pulls through this okay. I will have to stop by and leave him a comment on his profile.

But back on subject, I have no idea why we feel this way on such issues. Whenever I hear of a member that has had something bad like this happen to them it makes me sad too, I guess we are just full of so much empathy for everyone that we can even be touched by anonymous strangers on the internet.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Sometimes one feels an immediate "yuck!" at someone online

Don't tell me you felt like that with me...

How close do you feel to the folks here? Are they friends in the sense of real-life friends?

I hope you don't mind me butting in there...but I feel very close with a number of people on here. In fact, I could even say family. And with those very few I've swapped numbers and so...
It's strange...I feel like I can trust them...but when I talk to some other people...I feel "creeped" out...or disturbed by them..

The reason I keep returning to ATS is indeed, the members...

Or is it that ones real life face and body is a reflection of a persons true lifestyle and character and not having that can lead to impaired judgement about the person?

No...not at all. A wide variety of factors determines the true character and lifestyle of a person...and I believe that real life faces and body have a weaker influence over the final outcome. I mean...for example, yes..clothes, tastes they do...but more importantly experiences, past events, upbringing are more dominate...in my honest opinion.

[]Originally posted by Skyfloating
The main question of the OP is: Can you tell what people are like when you meet them online? How easily can you tell?

Personality wise I think you can. Words can convey it very well unless you're purposely concealing the truth in them.
Members all the time consider I'm a male...I don't know whether to take it as a compliment or an utter insult..

Do you think your responses to people would change if you knew what they looked like? Would their looks change your opinions of them?

I do think that's dependant. With those I'm close with...no it would make no difference but with others..yes.
To me, their looks would make no difference to my opinion of them...they say that we shouldn't judge a book on it's cover, no?
Nevertheless, words cannot shape your opinion of people online. Lies can easily be sent here and without them actually being infront of you...it's hard to tell if they're speaking the truth or manipulating it..

And once again, great thread

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackPoison94
Don't tell me you felt like that with me...

The avatar impressed me as kind of dark/beautiful. So thats how I noticed you when you were around. I realize you didnt make the avatar, but thats the effect those avatars can have. The mind can be tricked into believing that someone is actually good-looking, just from the avatar.

I hope you don't mind me butting in there...but I feel very close with a number of people on here. In fact, I could even say family. And with those very few I've swapped numbers and so... It's strange...I feel like I can trust them...but when I talk to some other people...I feel "creeped" out...or disturbed by them..

Well, thats very nice that you can be that way to strangers. I usually need a little more time online with people.

Members all the time consider I'm a male...I don't know whether to take it as a compliment or an utter insult..

I didnt get the male vibe from you but I can how some might think that. You express yourself very directly with no equivocation.

Many think Im a female, I dont know why. Maybe because I dont wear mean/hard/violent avatars.

Good post.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by aliengenes
I suppose you might call it remote viewing?

Its either that or just plain empathy. Or maybe empathy is required for RV.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yeah-Alright

"Through the flow of energy & information we regulate each other's body-mind. Lets use twitter for planetary healing"

That sounds like something Chopra would say. Thanks for sharing that.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Sometimes the internet enables a meeting of spirits on a deeper level than can happen face to face.

I have friends with whom I exchange hugs and either of us know when the other is hugging us, even if we haven't spoken for days.

Before I fell in love with a man who frequently partnered me in an online game, I kept seeing him in my dreams, sitting on my bed, just looking at me. I thought I was dreaming about an angel until we talked on video chat and I recognised him. That's been a long relationship.

IMO the internet is a useful stage in the development of the human race, teaching us to stretch our minds beyond the immediate material surroundings, and to develop an awareness of our friends far away. The webs of empathic connections thus wrought could change our humanity forever if allowed to continue unimpeded.

I'm not sure about webcam forums though, if that ever became possible. We may sleep better not knowing what some grot-loving posters look like alone, at home, on a hot day.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I really don't have a clue if people will be like I expect them to be.

If I am it is only a persons character cause I would have never guessed you were a guy and black poison from above I believed to be a oriental Asian.

I am getting to know a curtain member where there is a real chance of growing into something bigger. I need to meet her in person first to know for sure.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   

empathy, clairvoyance,absolutely. as for remote viewing they must all be tied together?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

The mind can be tricked into believing that someone is actually good-looking, just from the avatar.

Tricked?

My many thanks goes to John Q..

Well, thats very nice that you can be that way to strangers. I usually need a little more time online with people.

Bear in mind that's just a very few...actually around 4.. that I usually talk nearly everyday to...and then we have the Euro team which are also part of it...
It was nearly a year until I shared some of my details with a few..

I didnt get the male vibe from you but I can how some might think that. You express yourself very directly with no equivocation.

Many think Im a female, I dont know why. Maybe because I dont wear mean/hard/violent avatars.

I guess I should take that as a compliment?
Thanks.

I thought you were a female until I think Dj or was it Mblah, who told me you were actually male...
edit on 19-12-2010 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Tamahu

Ah yes, the Noumenon (thing in itself) and the Phenomenon (that which appears). We can never directly know Noumena, it exists behind the curtain of perception. The true nature of reality is noumenological, our impression of reality is it's phenomenological counterpart, and, theoretically the nature of the noumenon could very well be completely different to it's phenomenological impression, taking the Matrix movie as an example, the character's phenomena was ordinary 3D waking reality, whereas the noumena was infact some alien base where human beings are suspended in liquid attached to feeding tubes!

Indeed, the "universe may not only be stranger than we suppose, it may be stranger than we can suppose"

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kailassa

I'm not sure about webcam forums though, if that ever became possible. We may sleep better not knowing what some grot-loving posters look like alone, at home, on a hot day.

II really wonder how posting on ATS would change if we knew what everyone looks like.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sinter Klaas
I am getting to know a curtain member where there is a real chance of growing into something bigger. I need to meet her in person first to know for sure.

It just might turn out to be a him....

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   

empathy, clairvoyance,absolutely. as for remote viewing they must all be tied together?

When we empathize with someone online we can tell whether they are lying or not. So maybe empathy promotes remote perception.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join