It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Police Release Dashcam Video Of Woodcarver's Shooting

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Why do cops even carry tazers, and other LTL devices?

I honestly do not recall a time I saw a video of a cop using a tazer in self-defense. It always seems like they would rather shoot someone dead at every opportunity to do so. Tazers seem to be for times when they can't justify any other force at all, and enjoy making people submit.

I mean really, why do they even have them, if they are not to be used in situations such as this? These scenarios were exactly why tazers were distributed. Yet, here we are.... same old story.
edit on 19-12-2010 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
You can hear a female witness, around the minute mark, exclaim to the cop that he was not doing anything! Then the cop responds ma'am he wouldn't put the knife down. He didn't even give the guy a chance to put the knife down. He shot him like he was lunging at him, or was about to attack somebody.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animatrix

Originally posted by dmac2112
reply to post by Crumbles

We get on here and bitch and complain about this. When are we going to do something about it?

Well, what do you expect from a bunch of armchair revolutionists?

There is a huge cost to "standing up"
Going to jail, loss of job, break up of family etc...

I think, no i KNOW, that they realize this and thats why they keep on pushing

I agree with you Crumbles. But dam when does it end there is hundreds of videos of this kind of stuff it sickin's me.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
All that he did was commit premeditated murder considering that he did in fact have his gun drawn when he left the cruiser. If he gets off with a manslaughter on this. What will it say about the little bit of a justice system that we have left in this conutry? Something tells me that this officer may in fact get off with a lesser charge. However, he is just as guilty as any other scumbag out there that murders someone. He was sworn by law to uphold the law and to protect the peace of the community. Twenty years in prison would be going to lenient on this officer as well. If you ask me, he should be thrown in jail for the rest of his life. Then again, he may not make it through the first ten years in prison. We all know that ex-cops have been killed in prison by other inmates. So I figure he wouldn't even last long even if he was sent to Sing Sing or where ever.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
First thing you do as a cop is introduce the fact you're a cop.

He should have kept his distance seeing the guy's back was to him,got the guy's attention without getting to close and ask him what the knife is for.

But no all he did was say "drop the knife..drop the knife" the poor old man turned probably to see wtf was happening and the cop shot him.

But if he shot him in the back then that means he didn't turn fully around.

Williams was no threat to anybody nor was he threatening anybody.

That cop had the attitude like "oh he's got a knife..well I have a gun and if he doesn't put that knife down when I tell him I'm going to shoot him".It's so obvious when he drew his gun when he first got out of the car.

I've seen guys with guns live longer.This guy had a shot gun and was walking around his car with it,naked I believe.Obviously disturbed.The cops kept telling him to drop it but he seemed out of it and wasn't responding.There were a lot of cops there too.They watched as he put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger.I was thinking why didn't they shoot him in the leg or something.But I think it was because they didn't want him to drop his weapon and accidentally kill someone.And that guy had a shotgun.This guy had a knife and he didn't even know the cop was there.He could have shot him in the leg.

There's a another incident where a kid was handcuffed in a subway and he was faced down.I guess he pissed the cop off because the cop stood up casually pulled out his gun and shot the kid in the back killing him.

Another time this guy was on a porch hiding his hand like he had a gun.They had a dog and kept saying they were going to release it,well the guy kept saying if you send your dog he was going to shoot it.So what did they do?They sent the dog.The guy had a flip flop in his hand and threw it at the dog.Well by the time the dog ran in and the kid threw the flip flop the cops all open fire.At least a hundred shots were fired killing the kid and the dog.

It's pretty bad when you have to worry about the police more then the criminals.

I think the police are just brain washed gangsters.Think about how people have come into power and controlling a country.They killed to get it that's how.How do you think?Wars.They just went in with their armies and took it.Like a bunch of gangsters.That's what gangsters do.Learn your history folks.Remember how these people got their power in the first place.And anyone who goes against them is a "terrorist".It was okay for them to do it though.It was okay for them to kill for power,but anyone who tries to take their power away like they did is considered a "terrorist".Remember that.Most of you are still brainwashed into believing the police are there for your protection you're wrong.They are only there to protect the lie.

What's the lie?It's the biggest lie that no one talks about.Just because it's too big to comprehend.But I will let you know what it is.

The lie is.....Making you think that what they are doing is....right.Tell me,what's the difference between gangsters and the government?

Gangsters sell drugs?
Government sells ALL kinds of drugs.They even give people free drugs..with a prescription.
Gangsters kill?
Government kills wayyyyy more.Check the history books.Do you believe it's all justifiable?No actually a lot of it was like.."I want that country"..."okay" and they took it.

The only difference between gangsters and the government is,that it's legal for the government.
edit on 19-12-2010 by GodIsPissed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by GodIsPissed

As the Ghetto Boyz said, "Damn it feels good to be a gangster."

Anybody that knows the sond will get the reference.

Seriously, if people are so fed up with how cops treat people, they should become cops. Change the system from the in side out. I have started working out, I'm taking a job that gets me ready for the transition, and I'm looking in to the required classes.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind giving my tax money up to keep this guy in a cell the rest of his life. Convicts love it when bacon comes around. Although, this man will most likely get away with probation and therapy.

Sigh :/
edit on 19-12-2010 by BioChemMatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   
What a incredibly sad world we live in. Anyone can be hired as a cop with just a high school diploma as long as they pass certain criteria. This guy literally acted like he was a gang member who was protecting his street corner.
I am mostly surprised that the man shows absolutely no remorse for what he has done. Here is another man executed by police.

www.liveleak.com...
edit on 19-12-2010 by BioChemMatt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAThought

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint

Originally posted by KritikalMass
taking bets that this a*hole grew up playing call of duty or one of the dozens of other games that promote mindless killing.
there exists an entire sleeper generation of killers who through the video gaming genre have been programmed and hard wired to kill the enemy...usually stereotyped as terrorists, ethnics or marginalized as faceless non persons.
this thug should be made accountable for his 'heroic' actions.

How do you figure video games promote "mindless killings"? I play violent video games like Call Of Duty all the time and I've never wanted to kill anyone. I know a lot of people that play them too and they're not homicidal maniacs either. Cops have been abusing their power for quite some time now, It's human nature: Power Corrupts.

Cops, like all other folks, get corrupted by their power. The more power they have, the more corrupted they can (and often do) become.

Yeap. I love it when people think there wasn't any violence pre video games. LOL.

I believe video games actually have us live out our predator nature in a safe virtual environment. Releasing some steam
On steam

The world is a much more peaceful place than the old days and we're alot more people. I don't have a pessimistic view of the world. I think it's getting better daily, but sometimes these stupid things just happen and you just gotta keep fighting. Truth, true freedom and justice, WILL slowly makes it's way to the top, although sometimes it gets off track.

edit on 18-12-2010 by JustAThought because: (no reason given)

if youve spent youre formative, adolescent years locked in any activity or train of thought, then your brain cells, synapses, neural connections have strengthened and hard wired in a way that supports those activities.
it is a scientific reality...the fact that you are still playing these games (AND defend them) suggest that you do not have the where withal to break your useless, childish and ultimately harmful addiction. and yes you are not running around campus killing people BUT put your ass in the right situation (forced conscription, police uniform, blackwater uniform) you are the perfect thug for TPTB.
put a rifle in your hands and wind you up and you will do what you have spent hundreds of hours doing as a boy, that is rack up that score BABY! HOO RAH! come and get some!! bam bam bam! high score BABY! no questions asked just BAM BAM BAM SEMPER FI MOTHER F****** YEAH highest body count wins the game right?
so as long as youre locked away in your little room till 4 in the morning saving the free world, the rest of us are safe. its when you put on a uniform and are given a weapon that you are a danger to freedom and liberties...namely ours.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by romanmel
I find it interesting that the pro-police ATS;ers that used to post to these type threads are now strangely absent. They used to be here in force offering excuses for the most obvious abuse of authority. I am seeing a more informed public not buying the lies of power drunk, jack boooted thugs.

This act has been repeated far to often by power-mad cops. The best thing you can do to protect yourself is carry a small video cam to use if you encounter one of these predator pigs.

I am a pro-police LEO, and I think this guy needs to go to jail. Also to the people that say he should have shot him in the arms/legs, firearms are for lethal force only...however he could has used his ASP, OC, taser, or a beanbag shotgun if he has one of those in his trunk. This is an example of the new generation of officers unfortunately.

Secure

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by KritikalMass

if youve spent youre formative, adolescent years locked in any activity or train of thought, then your brain cells, synapses, neural connections have strengthened and hard wired in a way that supports those activities.
it is a scientific reality...the fact that you are still playing these games (AND defend them) suggest that you do not have the where withal to break your useless, childish and ultimately harmful addiction. and yes you are not running around campus killing people BUT put your ass in the right situation (forced conscription, police uniform, blackwater uniform) you are the perfect thug for TPTB.
put a rifle in your hands and wind you up and you will do what you have spent hundreds of hours doing as a boy, that is rack up that score BABY! HOO RAH! come and get some!! bam bam bam! high score BABY! no questions asked just BAM BAM BAM SEMPER FI MOTHER F****** YEAH highest body count wins the game right?
so as long as youre locked away in your little room till 4 in the morning saving the free world, the rest of us are safe. its when you put on a uniform and are given a weapon that you are a danger to freedom and liberties...namely ours.

Woow dude slow down a bit lol.

Where to start ?

1. Video games are being played all over the world, yet it's still only in America you have these gross examples of totally meaningless police brutality. Afaik.

2. I don't even like first person shooters. I played Quake back in the day and todays games might be prettyer looking but really gameplay-wise they are boring piles of # games disguised with eye candy.

3. I love people. I don't share that same bond with pixels mkay.

But sure. You are right to some extent. I mean i'm just a kid who's been playing video games all my life, but i've played so much MS flight sim that i could probrably fly a fighter plane lol. But i wouldn't hurt a fly unless you threaten me or my loved ones life.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by xXxtremelySecure

This is an example of the new generation of officers unfortunately.

Secure

Why do people keep doing this ?

There you go people. The older generation of cops. BEFORE video games i might add. So what are you gonna put the blame on here ? Let me guess. Television.. Radio. Something fun and / or awesome.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Update

Former SPD Officer Ian Birk Will Not Face Charges In Shooting Of Woodcarver
today.seattletimes.com...
Posted by Mark Higgins on January 13, 2012 at 1:45 PM

Federal prosecutors will not charge former Seattle police Officer Ian Birk in the shooting death of First Nations woodcarver John T. Williams.

Sources have confirmed that a grand jury reviewing the Aug. 30, 2010, shooting determined it could not charge the officer in the death.

The Department of Justice last April announced it would review the shooting after King County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg said that state law precluded him from charging former Seattle Police Officer Ian Birk with a crime.

The federal investigation examined whether former Officer Ian Birk violated the civil rights of Williams when he shot and killed him on a downtown city sidewalk. Williams, who was a well-known public inebriate and was hard of hearing, did not respond to Birk’s repeated demands that he drop a pocket knife he was carrying. A department review of the shooting found that Birk acted outside the department’s “policy, tactics and training” when he shot Williams four times just seconds after exiting his police vehicle.
today.seattletimes.com...

edit on 1/13/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
The name of John T. Williams will echo in the streets of Seattle. He did not die in vain.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join