It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Police Release Dashcam Video Of Woodcarver's Shooting

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by seeashrink

He is on paid leave right now.
www.king5.com...

edit on 18-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

So he gets to stay home watching the cartoon network while drawing full pay..........that will teach him.....he should be in jail

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I am sickened and appalled. I keep hearing how the police bemoan the fact that they aren't trusted anymore, then I see some garbage like this. This was clearly premeditated. It all goes back to the idea that non-LEOs are "civilians"..never mind that officers are beholden to the very same laws that everyone else is. Having seen the video and read various reports (papers and such) I hope this guy is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. This was murder, plain and simple, and there are consequences for that - regardless of whatever shiny badge you got out of a crackerjack box.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:41 AM
link   
As a victim of police brutality
i take a stand for this man...
even though he may be deceased, we need to all take this as a sign.
and fight the oppression that is plaguing our societies everyday..
a trigger happy rookie with an itch to be a Hardass, excuse my french.
but this happens way to often and is overlooked, im glad this was caught on tape.
S&F!!!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
"To serve and protect" must be police code for "To bully and murder".

We not only need protection from criminals, we need protection from the police.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
If a cop feels this threatened by a man holding a what must be a small knife since he said, "he had it open", that he had to shoot him multiple times, in broad daylight, in a lightly trafficked area, where no others seemed in imminent harm by the "knife wielding" suspect, we're in some serious trouble.

It's only a matter of time before the words preceding the shots are "Put down that lemon".

What pisses me off more and more is that we're hearing them resort to their gun and tazers before getting a handle on the situation on a regular basis, and they're killing us while at it. Could this man not have been shot in a manner that caused him to drop the knife? Why did this man have to be shot multiple times. Was he charging the cop, was he holding hostages? Why did he look to empty his clip into someone ambling slowly through the crosswalk.

And since when does keeping the peace involve shooting anyway. Police departments have become breeding grounds for thugs and criminals of a different ilk.

So now that it has been deemed unjustified, and the cop gets a stern talking too and goes on with life, does John T. Williams get his life back too? Does his family get to kiss and hug him again? Nope. And all because of what? A trigger happy cop who had a bad day?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by paearmor

You are delusional? Are you a cop?
Does that 21 foot rule count if you already have your gun out of it's holster and run up on someone holding a knife. The cop was chasing the wood carver so he chose the distance. You know that damn well. This is a clear cut case of murder by cop.

Edit: for some reason on ATS I make these inexplicable grammatical and structural errors that I make no where else.
edit on 19-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
It's occurances like this that give police officers across the nation a bad name. Killing an innocent man in cold blood in the middle of a busy street. I am willing to say that this officer must have been out for blood that day. From what I've been reading in the posts here, some had said that the man was deaf in one ear. What I don't get is why this officer of the "peace" decided to take the law into his own hands. Was he having a bad day or is there something else to this that we don't know about? My feeling about this is that the cop was out for blood and this man just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Should this cop be in jail for murder? I believe that he should be beyond a shadow of a doubt.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by arcnaver

No he is still in the wrong, because the civilian wasn't doing anything wrong and the cop approached him. The cop chose that distance. He could have stopped 21 feet behind them man, if he chose 10 feet it was his own idiocy which he seems to have plenty of.

Hope he goes up for life.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by gimmefootball400

It may be possible that the cop, knowing his dashcam was on, might have realized a man had walked in front of him with a knife and that upon being reviewed his superiors might ask why he didn't say anything to the man.
That still doesn't justify any of what happened at all. For example, If this had been me, in my town, I guarantee the cop would have turned the corner with his car and flipped his light on behind me and asked me from the window.
Then let me go on.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Crumbles

I agree this was definently a cop being more ready to shoot then anything else. I agree a tazer would have been enough.

2nd line.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by NoJoker13

Yeah.. I agree, a tazer (though unnecessary) would have been plenty.
Don't you think that the cop could have just let it go though?
At most just pull up behind the man (not like the carver was running) and flipped on his light and asked the man what he was doing (which he would already know.)

What was he planning on doing, if he took the man into custody. Is it illegal to carry a knife in public in seattle? Can someone tell me on what grounds the cop even reacted? Is it the 3 inch blade rule.

edit on 19-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by cjno6

We Seattleites know very little about Officer Birk....except he had recently come back from Iraq. Scary.

I knew he was a veteran of a war.
The police departments and the mercenary companies like blackwater love to hire these mindless killers.

I have said all along that something about cops in general have changed but at the time I couldnt put my finger on why.

At one time i thought maybe it was all the medication that their parents forced in them or possibly it was something to do with the internet or video games.

Then one day it just hit me in the face, these rogue cops, for the most part are a product of the military's little police actions in Iraq/Afghanistan.
They are pumped full of prescribed psychotropic drugs and they either caused death or they saw death on a daily basis.'
Either way it desensitized them to peoples suffering and they were trained to see everyone as suspect.

Police departments and mercenary groups like blackwater love to hire these guys. I wonder why?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

Nobody got out of their cars to help the man or even question the action.

Society is so controlled and divided, all I can do is help and hope

Oh, and the officer was entirely wrong in every single way, defending him is defending absolute murder.
edit on 19-12-2010 by 11118 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

I do realize that he may have realized that the dashcam was on and that someone with a knife had just walked in front of his cruiser. Still that doesn't give him the right to shoot and kill the man because he walked in front of him with a knife. I do realize that he could have stabbed somebody later on but this is the life of an innocent man that we are talking about here. Sounds to me like the power went to this rookie cop's head and he thought that he was above the law. I just don't see why the cop didn't light him up and asked him from the car. If it had been me in my town as well, I guarantee that they would have asked me from the window of the cruiser. I for one hope that he really begins to think about what he's done when the state troopers show up at his front door with an arrest warrant on murder charges.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Yeah, I mean I think it was completely unjustified and he deserves to spend a good 10 to 20 years in prison
(10 seems short maybe, but I can't imagine losing 10 years of my life in prison and as a cop to boot. 10 years as a cop in prison is probably a lifetime). I was just giving a possible explanation. He has the gun drawn when he gets out so it is premeditated murder in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

Yep.. I'm more afraid of these guys than any terrorist. Anyone who has had a cop be a total ass for no reason and hassle you in an angry manner no matter how nice you are knows what I'm talking about. Being a former soldier seems like a good reason to keep you out of the police force.. sorry veteran ATS members, but the public shouldn't have to worry about the police in this way.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   

We get on here and bitch and complain about this. When are we going to do something about it?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Well it makes me feel better that the cop had to turn in his badge and gun. Need to fire his ass and lay on the charges. He will probably get Manslaughter...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dmac2112

We get on here and bitch and complain about this. When are we going to do something about it?

Well, what do you expect from a bunch of armchair revolutionists?

There is a huge cost to "standing up"
Going to jail, loss of job, break up of family etc...

I think, no i KNOW, that they realize this and thats why they keep on pushing

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Yeah, there wasn't much time for the command to be followed before shots fired.
Maybe it was necessary. Maybe he charged at the officer. Sadly, I doubt it.

Being in law enforcement realm, I've come across countless people with knives. Both violent and non violent. Not in ONE instance did I feel like I needed to draw my service pistol and dispatch the individual. Irritant spray, or taser have served well. But also, my own training in hand to hand combat prior to investing in law enforcement, and with my own psychology schooling, I was able to rely on quite a few more tools than that of basic LEO training.

Police are needed, but not this aggressive beast. I'm not sure of the requirements in the U.S., but the police force usually draw applicants that are a little more aggressive by nature. This is because, more situations than not, require a person that can operate calmly during most conflicts. Sometimes that backfires, and you get these kinds of officers.

Not sufficiently trained, most likely.

I wonder how many people here, would have been angered over this video if the LEO had tasered the man and he died from that as well. It seems people here, just like to jump on the leo's regardless of the circumstances.

Either way, I believe this particular circumstance could have ended far more peacefully, if the officer had a broader range of tools to draw from.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join