It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Police Release Dashcam Video Of Woodcarver's Shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Seattle Police Release Dashcam Video Of Woodcarver's Shooting

A dash cam video from the officer who shot and killed Native American woodcarver John T. Williams was released Friday, showing Williams ambling slowly across the street in a crosswalk before the officer opens fire.

Although most of the a(visit the link for the full news article)

www.liveleak.com...

edit on 18-12-2010 by Crumbles because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2010 by Crumbles because: link :/

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I believe this to be a very uncalled for killing of an innocent man. Of course you can not see what is going on off camera, but in the 4 seconds after the cop got out of the car the poor man is being shot.

I hate to see a man doing what I presume he loves is killed, because a cop is out for blood. There is no justification, a taser would have been a better means.

www.liveleak.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   
You guys count how many gun shots this guy unloaded?
He left the car absolutely willing to shoot him,
Not him taking his gun out feeling threatened.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Anttyk47

Exactly I think he just felt like he needed to kill someone. Mad with power, or having a very bad day. Either way its a sad day for someone trying to make a living, doing what he does best(I assume).

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Just look at that guy.
His head is facing down.
He's minding his own damn business.

This cop should get shot.
Ask me "What about his family"
My answer "What about Williams family"

Comon dexter, where are you man!

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Though you can't see it on this video the Native American "Woodcarver" never turns around. He was deaf in one ear and known by most police in the area as he was inebriated often.

I crossed paths of the Woodcarver on more than one occasion as he pan handled often in Seattle. I'm not really a big fan of inebriated pan handlers, but I don't think he deserved to die for nothing.

7 seconds from the first hey shots were fired.

I count about 3 seconds from the first "put the knife down" until shots were fired.

When other Police arrive officer Burke (shooter) can be heard telling them (later recanted) that the suspect turned to face him & approached before he fired the shots. Witnesses said the Woodcarver never turned around or acknowledged officer Burke.

Now that I've heard the audio & seen the video I consider this a cold blooded execution style murder.

Added: Officer Burke claims the knife was open (in the video). When the knife was recovered it was closed & locked. According to a knife dealer this model will not close unless unlocked, so it could not of closed by itself if dropped.
edit on 18-12-2010 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Initial reports were that the man advanced on the officer with the knife; however, the department on Tuesday said it could no longer be sure that occurred.

seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Yep... Drunk Native American with a knife... Gun wins, of course.

I do know that there were multiple instances of the same behavior. I suppose the cops got tired of it.

So wrong...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Add his body to the pile.

This really is insane though. In news articles like the one I'm posting below they attempt to spin it (the people being interviewed on the street, they get about a second a piece, literally and the news people say the man approached though in the video you can hear the cop saying he didn't)

This is murder, put that cop in prison for life.
He had his gun drawn when he got out of the car.

edit on 18-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow
This is murder.

It seems that all the cold-blooded murderers in this country know exactly what occupation to pursue.

They consider themselves heroes even though it's in their job description.

They don't consider themselves murderers even though they fit the description.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Except the man didn't advance. The officer tells on himself in the video if you listen to the full audio.
Another cop asks if the man advanced and the shooting cop said he didn't, but wouldn't put the knife a way.
Good job being racist though.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Umn... Sorry. I was being sarcastic. Lost on this crowd, I suppose.

Anyway. I'm saying this guy should not have been shot. period...

I'm not a racist. Thanks a bunch though.

[edit] Did you even read the article I linked?
edit on 18-12-2010 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The Seattle Police are being watched 24/7 by CCTV security cameras and personal smart phone users and dashcams. The surveillance society is not them watching us.. It is US watching them.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Sorry if it was misinterpreted, but I don't think it was lost on my I think it was poorly worded.
The drunk native american with a knife/gun wins comment implies a generalization and imply the man was stupid (gun wins would imply a competition where the man was ignorant enough to go up against a gun with his knife, which wasn't the case)

So yeah, didn't sound good, but apologies.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Once again the Fox News propaganda www.youtube.com...

Fox Says "...the videos show that... Williams'... connection with reality was quickly unwinding."

Does the Seattle Fox affiliate station have the credentials to conclude such a defamatory statement? This is simple propaganda and mind control.

However, the videos also show the behavior of Seattle Police who are under constant surveillance. Every cop should know they are under constant public surveillance, too.

Smart phones might be used for tracking the population but smart phones are also weapons in the hands of the awakened populations of the world.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Of course this is being ruled unjustified, the guy was minding his own business using a 3 inch folding knife to carve a large board(his job no less). From what I gather, being that A. He was shot in his rt side four times. B. The knife was closed and locked shut. Also, that only three seconds elapsed from the first time he told him to put the knife down. That the moment he heard the officer tell him to drop the knife, he closed the knife. Then as he began to turn around to address the officer he was shot four times in the right side of his body before even making the final rotation. It should be noted that he was shot from nine to ten feet distance away from the officer. Also, in the video you can hear at the a woman screaming at the cop "Did you just kill him" "Why did you do that? He didn't have anything".

Just another senseless cop killing, in a sickeningly endless line of cases of cops killing it's citizens unjustly. They were even nice enough to treat him as a hardened criminal as he laid there dying. Cuffing his hands behind his back, and if I heard correctly, the officer in charge remarking to "Shoot him again if need be".

www.nwcn.com...

Thanks for the post OP, missed this one somehow.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
A lot of the newer generation of police now days are veterans of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan where they learned by example that the human life is worth nothing, they are nothing more than targets for them.
It would appear that the tazer doesnt giving them the same satisfaction that it once did.
Its either that or our Cops are receiving training from the Feds, which has allowed them to change
their lethal force policy

This is why i tell people, in their martial law threads, when the debate about whether police and military will fire on us comes up, that they not only will fire on us, they will probably hoot and holler about it afterward, like youve seen happen in so many videos of battles in Iraq.

Cops used to have patience and compassion, now their like robots.
I still remember a story my dad told me about an incident that happened to him after his 3rd or 4th year on the Dallas Police Dept.
He responded to a bank robbery and as he walked in the door he came under fire.He was pinned down and ss he started to return fire, he realized it was the bank security guard that was firing on him, who was panicked and believing the robber had returned.

The guy fired on him for quite a long time and my Dad wouldve been more than justified in firing back and killing him but instead he talked to him and he finally put his gun down, for this my dad received commendations.

He used to tell me that to be a good cop, you had to be part counselor, part psychiatrist and part enforcer.
Now days you just have to be one part ass and one part enforcer.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I have some mixed feelings about this and I don't blame the officer so much as I blame the system in which the officer is indoctrinated. While it doesn't seem like the "suspect" was given enough time to comply or really even enough time to figure out what was going on, the officer was simply doing what he was trained to do. While I do think the officer is to blame, I also think the system is to blame on equal footing.

We, as citizens should be able to walk down the street with a knife is we so choose, so long as we aren't hurting anyone with it. However, the cop has been indoctrinated to believe otherwise. I'm sure that his training and experience told him that if you see someone walking down the street with a knife, you disarm him because generally speaking, he probably thinks that only criminals would be carrying a knife. On the same note, this cop is an adult and it is his own fault that he has been indoctrinated. It's his responsibility to know the law and the Constitution is the supreme law of the land. Ignorance of the law is no excuse to break the law.

Looking at it from the view of Williams, this guy must of either been really brave, or really stupid. Sure, he should have a right to walk down the street with a knife but on the same token, he should have known that his rights mean little, if anything, in this day in age.

Also, I just wan't to go back to this officer's firing of his weapon. It doesn;t seem like the officer gave Williams enough time to comply to his commands. In the video, you can see Williams walk by and he clearly isn't pay attention. It doesn't appear as if he sees the officer. Thus he is probably rudely awakened from his thought by someone shouting "drop the knife". Since he is apparently a woodcarver, he is so use to having that knife and he doesn't really look at it like a weapon, so much as he sees it as a tool. Instead, he is probably thinking, "who is that yelling me at" and then before you know it, that apparently "trigger-happy" officer squeezes off a few rounds. I would even go so far as to say that the officer clearly didn't even consider the lives of innocent bystanders walking and driving about.

Of course, we just don't know some key variables, such as the actions of Williams when he was ordered to drop his "tool". Did he charge after the officer or what? I think it is a good probability that Williams just ignored the cop, as he looked to be deep in thought as he walked down the street. However, I think it's safe to say that this cop shouldn't have opened fire so soon, unless of course Williams charged the cop or a bystander, which by the way, I don't think happened.

Regardless of how the cop was trained or indoctrinated, it is his responsibility to know the law and since the Constitution is the supreme law of the land, it supercedes any laws that he is accustomed to enforcing. If we turn the situation around and it was the cop bleeding out on the street, there would be no question of Williams guilt, if he wasn;t shot dead y the arriving officers, regardless if it was self defense. I certainly don't believe there should be a double standard here and from what we can see in that video, it sure seems the cop is in the wrong and thus should be charged and prosecuted in the same way that anyone else would be. If you shoot an innocent man, you are a criminal, especially when you should have known better. That's just the way it is, regardless of precedent. All too often, when the police shoot an innocent person, it is seen as a mistake. There is something inherently wrong with such a notion.

--airspoon

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Airspoon you sound torn...it not your job to be an applologist for this racist sob.
Why keep harping on whether he charged the officer or a bystander when theres proof he didnt?It just leaves room for half the readers to draw the wrong inference, or is that your intention?
I highly doubt that, so why do it?
Damn these arrogant consciencless robots they call police these days.!
Ive said many times, that combat vets fresh out of iraq make poor choice for LEOs....
The whole SWAT team glorification in the media etc...leaves one expecting cops to shoot first ask questions later..which they seem to do quite regularly these days...(Though I wonder in fact, does anyone know statistically if the amount of police shootings of innocents has risen over the last decade or so?)
I certainly dont remember all that much of it as i grew up....I sure hear about it often now..
Since i make knives, i may be apt to be walking out of a store with a couple in my hands any day....
i often carry my latest one around to show people. maybe sell them one...i am also partly deaf in one ear too...hmmm
This wierd concept of an armed police officer being scared for his life by some guy making no overt moves,but
having some tool or whatever in his hands is bogus to start with....!
The police have probably less training in handling their gun, than the average IPSC shooter.
On the other hand they are imbued with an arrogance in cop school that is totaally counter to peaceful police work.
Rules for using their weapon need to be less forgiving.Just because a cop pulled a trigger doesnt make it a righteous shooting.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
That's appalling. I can say so much about this but I just won't. Bottom line: cop was wrong. He didn't even say "Police!" like they are supposed to. I would freak out if somebody started yelling at me from behind "HEY! HEY! Put the knife down!" I would be like "Oh sh!# I'm being mugged in broad daylight!" The cop should have announced his identity as an officer of the law before engaging a threat (which turned out to not even be a threat). And also, WHY THE EFF IS HIS GUN DRAWN AND IN HIS RIGHT HAND IMMEDIATELY UPON EXITING THE VEHICLE?!? That is completely against policy as far as I know. Everything about this video and this sad circumstance is horrible.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
For me this is another example of the sick and twisted attitudes of those wielding power.

These are inexperienced officers, with a complete lack of common sense and a complete detachment from their DUTIES.

The people are their enemy, and if a person puts a foot wrong they have the power to take them out with almost no oversight and no questions answered.

What would it have taken to follow the guy, watching him, maybe talk to him and call for a psychiatric assessment?
But no, this stupid officer who doesn't know the basics of his supposed job takes the easy rout and murders a citizen he is sworn to protect.

That cop is a f**kin animal and deserves to face a mob of angry citizens. Just like most of his fascist comrades.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join