It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DREAM ACT will be decided in the Senate tomorrow morning!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
The fate of the Dream Act will be decided in the Senate tomorrow morning. It requires 60 votes to block a filibuster which will then eventually pass, granting US citizenship to illegal immigrants from age 16 to 30.

What do you people think? Do you think it will pass tomorrow??
edit on 18-12-2010 by saabacura because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I have no idea if it will pass...but the thing I wonder is, why the hell would they DREAM up such a bill, when theyve been complaining about the borders for so long? What is the purpose of giving amnesty to illegals? Honest question?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   
so more people will need to pay taxes that probably already work? ohhhh noooooooooooo!

I agree with you though, its not like we are a country that's founded on immigration.

With how great everything has been going, we should be so lucky to have people want to even come her in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Very interesting

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

I believe the US grants citizenship to 200,000 legal immigrants each year. Millions of legal immigrants are waiting in line and going through years of legal process to become a US citizen.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Setting up for a dictator.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
"they've been complaining"?
We've been complaining.
"They" have resisted doing squat on the southern border. Excep to install signs warning American citizens to stay out of "dangerous drug trafficking areas".

"They" are trying to create New loyal democrats...vote early and vote often.

edit on 18-12-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

www.associatedcontent.com...
edit on 18-12-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap
Setting up for a dictator.

what is this? what does this has to do with the dream act?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

wow......!!! human and drug trafficking problem is bigger than I thought.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by saabacura

Sure... No matter what nation, what colour, what race, what religion. As long as they do their best to help build this nation stronger through the diversity of knowlegde and culture. We are all made of stars!!! (we are all ONE) Open our homes, our hearts, our land, our resources... (pause)... I wish... There is waaaay too many racists out there of every colour, race or religion. They will just have to be left behind I guess...We have an empire of truth to build.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:50 AM
link   
DREAM act is not amnesty.

Amnesty grants you citizenship for nothing, however DREAM act requires persons that entered the U.S. before 15 and are younger than 30 to attend college for 2 years (paying out-of state tuition) or serve in the U.S. Army for 2 years, additionally they would be required to pay numerous fees. Also they would only become conditional-non immigrants...not even permanent residents, they would have to wait 13 years before they become PR.

They also won't be able to sponsor family and they would also not qualify for any federally funded welfare program or grants.

As a United States Citizen, and taxpayer I proudly support the Dream Act, because it's a bill about fairness.
edit on 12/18/2010 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
DREAM act is not amnesty.

Amnesty grants you citizenship for nothing, however DREAM act requires persons that entered the U.S. before 15 and are younger than 30 to attend college for 2 years (paying out-of state tuition) or serve in the U.S. Army for 2 years, additionally they would be required to pay numerous fees. Also they would only become conditional-non immigrants...not even permanent residents, they would have to wait 13 years before they become PR.

They also won't be able to sponsor family and they would also not qualify for any federally funded welfare program or grants.

As a United States Citizen, and taxpayer I proudly support the Dream Act, because it's a bill about fairness.
edit on 12/18/2010 by muse7 because: (no reason given)

What national are these people eligible through the Dream Act from? The 2 plus million people who are eligible for Dream Act, what are their nationalities? Are these people American Citizens?? or are they foreign citizens from another country who happens to live in the US illegally?

Then how is this not an amnesty?

Definition of amnesty "is a legislative or executive act by which a state restores those who may have been guilty of an offense against it to the positions of innocent people. It includes more than pardon, in as much as it obliterates all legal remembrance of the offense."

An illegal alien who illegally crossed and lived within the US boarders... getting a legal pathway for a US citizenship for just being here illegally, Is not an amnesty?

this is a spit and a dirt in the face of millions of legal immigrants to the US who are highly qualified and spent many years of their life, trying to gain a US citizenship....

If getting a US citizenship is as easy as illegally crossing the BOARDER......

then what is the meaning of being an American Citizen???

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Here we go again with the whole "it's a spit in the face of those who have been waiting!." crap

I agree it might be unfair, but see the Dream act deals with young people, who have gone to college, graduated high school just by sheer passion to make something out of themselves with the life and opportunities that they have been given.

The dream act covers, young people who had no say whether or not they wanted to cross illegally into our country. I don't really know about you but I'm not for punishing children for the actions of their parents. These young adults want to be American. Heck we've already spent a lot on them anyway by sending them through elementary and high school so why should we just deport a whole bunch of future college graduates and army personnel?

And really it's not amnesty if you look at the requirements.

I find it disgusting that people, are willing to slap the term "amnesty" on every piece of legislation that proposes a HUMANE way of dealing with our immigration mess and so they just discard it and turn a blind eye to it and at the same time turn around and take to heart everything what Glenn Beck and Fox News say.

It really is disturbing.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   
What if Haiti was connected by land to Florida???? I am sure all the Haitians will illegally cross into the US due to their current earthquake circumstances... which I may understand..

What if Zimbabwe or Sudan or Ethiopia was connected to California?? I am sure that they will illegally cross into the US due to their circumstances.....

You see, the United States of America is not a god damm playground for people to cross over illegally. The US is a huge country which consists of over 320 million citizens which makes up this country.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:37 AM
link   

That's right, that's why Dream act will affect hundreds of thousands of young people from around the globe, who by no choice of their own came to this country illegally.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Here we go again with the whole "it's a spit in the face of those who have been waiting!." crap

I agree it might be unfair, but see the Dream act deals with young people, who have gone to college, graduated high school just by sheer passion to make something out of themselves with the life and opportunities that they have been given.

The dream act covers, young people who had no say whether or not they wanted to cross illegally into our country. I don't really know about you but I'm not for punishing children for the actions of their parents. These young adults want to be American. Heck we've already spent a lot on them anyway by sending them through elementary and high school so why should we just deport a whole bunch of future college graduates and army personnel?

And really it's not amnesty if you look at the requirements.

I find it disgusting that people, are willing to slap the term "amnesty" on every piece of legislation that proposes a HUMANE way of dealing with our immigration mess and so they just discard it and turn a blind eye to it and at the same time turn around and take to heart everything what Glenn Beck and Fox News say.

It really is disturbing.

So I suppose you think that the law of the United States is a complete joke to you.....

Bend the law where ever you see fit.

Bend it left when you need it to....

Bend it right when it fits you....

Break it when you must.....

What is the point of having a law when your powerful compassion can bend it which ever way you want it.?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   

That's right, that's why Dream act will affect hundreds of thousands of young people from around the globe, who by no choice of their own came to this country illegally.

Perhaps they should go back to their country??? Or maintain being an illegal alien living in the United States??
I must say, the reality and the real world is oh so cruel.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

My state Co. has one of the worst academic test scores in the nation but yet we spent $925 million dollars just for educating illegals in Co...I think an extra $925 million would go a long way to improving the quality of education for the children of US citizens in Co. To make it worse they're cutting school budgets. I also heard they can sponsor up to 200 immigrants per person (is this true?).. times that by the approximate 2.1 million illegals this bill would give amnesty, well.......you can do the math. This was printed in our paper today and your OK with this? I hope you have deep pockets. I don't see how anyone could think the Dream Act would be good for our country and it's future.

Ten things you should know about s.3827 “the DREAM Act”:

1. The DREAM Act is not limited to children, and it will be funded on the backs of hard-working, law-abiding Americans.

2. The DREAM Act provides safe harbor for any alien, including criminals, from being removed or deported if they simply submit an application.

3. Certain criminal aliens will be eligible for amnesty under The DREAM Act.

4. Estimates suggest that at least 2.1 million illegal aliens will be eligible for The DREAM Act amnesty. In reality, we have no idea how many illegal aliens will apply.

5. Illegal aliens will get in-state tuition benefits.

6. The DREAM Act does not require that an illegal alien finish any type of degree (vocational, two-year, or bachelor's degree) as a condition of amnesty.

7. The DREAM Act does not require that an illegal alien serve in the military as a condition for amnesty, and there is already a legal process in place for illegal aliens to obtain U.S. citizenship through military service.

8. Despite their current illegal status, DREAM Act aliens will be given all the rights that legal immigrants receive, including the legal right to sponsor their parents and extended family members for immigration.

9. Current illegal aliens will get federal student loans, federal work study programs, and other forms of federal financial aid.

10. DHS is prohibited from using the information provided by illegal aliens whose DREAM Act amnesty applications are denied to initiate their removal proceedings or investigate or prosecute fraud in the application process.

What illegal aliens cost taxpayers now:

• Illegal immigration costs U.S. taxpayers approximately $113 billion a year at the federal, state and local level. The bulk of the costs — some $84.2 billion — are absorbed by state and local governments.

• Education for the children of illegal aliens constitutes the single largest cost to taxpayers, at an annual price tag of nearly $52 billion. Nearly all of those costs are absorbed by state and local governments.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

Great points you make but the question is more fundamentally simple.
Is giving US citizenship to illegal alien legal? when 200,000 legal immigrants gain US citizenship each year and millions legally waiting in line trying to get it?

I feel that this particular Amnesty bill is trying to disguise its illegality behind "children" who are in between the age of 16 to 30.....

2.1 million people jumping in line of the hopes and dreams of millions of legal immigrants...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mtnshredder

I'd really appreciate it if you provided link to where you got your information from.

Thanks.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join