It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US House passes $725bn defense bill

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

You're absolutely right about the devaluation. Its definitely coming, probably by 2015. (Yes Oozy you may be right!)

I hope that doesn't effect our allies too bad. I am sure as soon as we recover, we will be swooping in hopefully to help and not swarming in like locusts.

Contrary to what most of the doommongers on ATS worry about, my biggest fear is after the collapse, we will follow in the footsteps of Depression era Germany and have our very own Hitler. There is a very real and terrifying chance of it.
edit on 18/12/10 by MikeboydUS because: !

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Posts like this make me sick.

"You dont have a job? Join up for the army, son, we got plenty of guns for ya!"

Nice benefits. Who pays for those? Oh yeh, US THE TAXPAYER. Why is some kid who did nothing with his life except shot 4 brown people get his whole life paid for and taken care of, and a 55 year old guy over here got laid off and now cant find work after paying into the system his whole life is going to be homeless at years end when UE runs out??

MikeBoyd, please take that US out of your name, youd be more at home in some banana republic dictatorship...oh wait....

EDIT: How about along with your awesome "Join up now!" speech, you also include some photos of maimed for life soldiers, soldiers who have "PTSD" and can barely function day to day, or talk about groups like iraq war veterans for peace?
edit on 18-12-2010 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles

Posts like this make me sick.

"You dont have a job? Join up for the army, son, we got plenty of guns for ya!"

Nice benefits. Who pays for those? Oh yeh, US THE TAXPAYER. Why is some kid who did nothing with his life except shot 4 brown people get his whole life paid for and taken care of, and a 55 year old guy over here got laid off and now cant find work after paying into the system his whole life is going to be homeless at years end when UE runs out??

MikeBoyd, please take that US out of your name, youd be more at home in some banana republic dictatorship...oh wait....

Military personnel and contractors are US taxpayers too!

If you want to change the system, people need to go vote. One of the reason we are where we are is due to over half the voting population not voting. Statistically we have one of the lowest voter turnouts for a Western government.

That means a minority of voters are electing officials. That is Bananas!!!

Edit: I mentioned physical disability, but I will add PTSD for accuracy's sake.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Yes. I agree with you. When economic madness gets corrected by reality the results are not always predictable. While I think some form of economic upheaval is inevitable I don't look forward to it.

Some form of christian fundamentalist 'Jesusland' under control of a Right Wing Demagogue, out to conquer the heathens with rifles and bibles is a scary prospect.

The sad fact is the founders of the USA got it right pretty much in the first place. What is, isn't what was intended. The tragedy is, that will probably get lost in the noise.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by justwokeup

Yes. I agree with you. When economic madness gets corrected by reality the results are not always predictable. While I think some form of economic upheaval is inevitable I don't look forward to it.

Some form of christian fundamentalist 'Jesusland' under control of a Right Wing Demagogue, out to conquer the heathens with rifles and bibles is a scary prospect.

The sad fact is the founders of the USA got it right pretty much in the first place. What is, isn't what was intended. The tragedy is, that will probably get lost in the noise.

Thats exactly it, "Theofascism".

It is some real scary stuff. A number of the Churches here heavily imply that the US is a chosen nation and the Americans are a chosen people. A number of Americans truly believe it. Many blame 9-11, the War on Terror and Hurricane Katrina on immorality and corruption from abortion, gay rights, minorities, Jews, Muslims, Pagans, etc.

Can you imagine what would happen after an economic collapse?

Paramilitary gangs, like the Stormtroopers, Revolutionary Guard, and SS. Rise of extremist political parties and demogogues. Inquisition 2.0. Concentration camps and all of it "In the Name of Christ"

Once the US was secured, they would export it overseas in the form of military Crusades and terror, American style Hezbollah and Jihad.

No one on earth would be safe.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
So how do we fix this? There are plenty of people in America that could care less about the rest of world and support anything the government would do, these are mostly the upper-middle class white collar job types, the type that votes consistently. Another part are the working class individuals and many do not have time to take political affairs into consideration, it is ironic that they are probably the ones with the most common sense. America has a large population of immigrants as well, and people struggling to find their place in this society, most of these do not vote, a few do it vigorously. I say this with the knowledge that there are exceptions here and there. All in all due to its multicultural nature I can see how it would be a difficult population to govern democratically, there are many different individuals with many different ideas and cares.

I am a patriot of my country, but in a historical sense, I care about the people of my country before I start caring about its institutions. I am not against a huge defense budget and expensive toys, however this should not be at the expense of civility and our nations people. Programs were put in place at the end of various conflicts such as WW2 and the Cold War, the fact that they were no longer required was neglected and the US government is still of the mindset that they are necessary, one of these programs is responsible for Americas tendency to get involved in the affairs of other countries. The people no longer retain the right to accurately choose who leads them and which programs get put in place and which get abolished, they simply choose between two different versions of the same thing, the process has been alternating like this for quite a while. People are so stubborn in their beliefs that they could care not what it is representing, only that they win and that they are right. The system was put in place specifically so this would not happen, and yet it did.

The problem is, I think, that the US government no longer knows how to properly govern its ever changing population. Instead concentrating on the one thing they have learned to do concretely, produce military power. If there is one thing that gives Americans a common goal its attacks against them, the media of course does not report any hatred for us Americans with the exception of groups like Al-Qaeda (currently). The government will just claim that someone wants to kill us, we proverbially give them the thumbs up, and they pull the trigger. With all the hatred for us Americans it is very easy for the government to get the population to support attacking another group or nation. Burn an American flag on international television and immediately the US government is fully supported in any actions they might take. There is no amount of hatred that will ever change the US government, if anything it makes it easier for them to operate, maybe some smart individuals somewhere can come up with a solution to this feud America has with the rest of the world. In a nutshell it is basically "F you!", "No, F you!", its a story as old as civilization itself, except that now we have bigger weapons.

So the defense budget is just Americas way of saying "F you!" a bit louder than anyone else, and it is supported because Americans are being given a reason to dislike other people. I don't personally support this though, I think we should pull our military back to the homeland and close our borders before we end up annihilating the remaining bit of intelligent(?) life on Earth.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
This is for your security folks.

If you're against spending nearly 1 trillion on your securty, then you must not want security.

You must not want to be secure, which means you're against security, right?

Well, if you're against security, then you must be pro-violence. You must be a terrorist if you're against this spending.

what the f--- are you talking about? Quit apologizing for this institutionalized robbery. Your a terrorists for wanting this insane theft of the people.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
one unjustified war...which is pretty much slowing down

I am anti-military overall...but I still support the initial intent of Afhganistan. I also see it as unwinnable and so what is considered "winning" has to be simply..make sure its not a great place to create terrorist camps.

the military budget is sickening...what is more sickening is that neither side question it, else be seen as some sort of traitor. (after all, America is the world police force)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by oozyism

Originally posted by Monts

US arrests over 135 anti-war protesters

Some 135 anti-war protesters have been arrested in front of the White House in one of the largest mass detentions in the United States.

Is anyone else not able to reach the above link? I keep getting server not found!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by wonderboy2402
No worries, just keep cranking out American idols, Monday night football and Iphone apps and we're all docile as sheep... =]

I think one day the majority of people will snap out of it and wonder when it all went wrong.

Dead people can't wonder.

BTW, the $725 billion figure is wrong. Federal Budget: FY 2011

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SeenMyShare

I'm getting through.

135 arrests.

Is this the URL in the address bar?

presstv.com...

Change browsers.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:45 PM
link   
The reason people are not RIOTING in the streets about the general welfare of our country is simple.

Status Quo.

People are just comfortable enough, in most cases, and en mass, that it's ignorable.

Until the Mass Media giants (the handful of people who own the media reporting outlets) decide they've got enough, the NEWS will not report things that might cause the boat to rock in the United Oligarchy of America.

The Corp. interest is of more importance then the poor, sick, elderly, and general welfare of the people.

The government hasn't cared about the people since Before I was a kid, and it's continuing to pillage and rape us of our lives for it's in-human hunger for more.. more and more.

So until the media, that has so many in the UOA are brought down, to show the truth, not air stuff for their own ratings and interests, no one will believe it. No one will acknowledge it, until it's blown wide open on CNN, ABC, MSNBC, and Fox.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join