It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time Machine needs speed of light, right?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I've watched alot of movies and read lots of stories about Time Machines and i just thought of an idea that may intrest someone. Few years ago a UFO crashed landed in roswell i think it was 1949 i forgot the year and there where stories of the government taking this UFO underground to do secret projects. I dont know if this is right but does a Time Machine need speed of light to work or something?, and if it does how about a UFO we all know they travel at the speed of light so could it be possible for the government to have already a time machine built taken stuff from the UFO to get there time machine working?.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Well a theory is that you travel with less amount of time when reaching the speed of light, with lesser time the distances get smaller to, so A speed isn't joust a speed. The roswell thing. search the forum.

EDIT thry: you can only travel from time, not use it as traveling trough time in the movies.

[edit on 5-7-2004 by Cardu]

[edit on 5-7-2004 by Cardu]

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 04:51 PM
link   
The thing is, can we go into the future without creating it? How can I know the future if it is not created yet?

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   
According to Einstein's Theory of Relativity, as you approach the speed of light time slows down. When you reach the speed of light, time stands still. So you would actually have to go beyond the speed of light in order to venture back in time, which, according to Einstein, is physically impossible.

I agree that it is physically impossible to manifest time travel with physically based technology.

The thing is, can we go into the future without creating it? How can I know the future if it is not created yet?

That is a good point RX84. One can't venture into a timeframe that has yet to exist. Logically, time travel can only venture into the past and it must be done without using a material device.

Yeah...good luck!

If the Zetan-aliens (who many like Bob Lazar consider to be hundreds if not thousands of years ahead of us technologically) can't time travel, which is evidenced by their inability to stop The Manhatten Project to develop atomic weapons, then I hardly think our own government can do it.

The inability of both to manifest time travel is actually a good thing.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Good point, A friend and i had this descussion a while ago,

we came to the conclusion that to travel time you would have to travel at the speed of light or greater away from an object.

example would be travelling from earth at the speed of light or greater, you would eventully run into past electronic events, tv broadcasts and so on, so then could the same thing happen with time itself?

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 07:43 PM
link   
If time is a traversable dimension, which everything is being hurled through just like our star is moving through space (if in fact it is... i'm not an astrophysicist) then the laws of inertia apply. Heavier material in the big bang would have gotten a slower start, and come back to rest faster. This means that over time the mass of the universe should be segregating. The heaviest building blocks of our universe should be falling behind us while the lightest outrun us. The universe should be gradually losing mass. This also means that directly behind us in history should be a slightly heavier universe, the mass of which is gradually changing as it slows down and falls back. This means that over time, we should see a difference in the gravitational pull towards the past, resulting in a speeding up of all physical processes.
Another possibility is that things have stabilized and the segregation is over. For example, floating through space isn't causing Earth to segregate according to mass. In this case though, the magnetism of the Earth and light of the sun should be greater than their mass in this point on the temporal plane can account for. There should be "hidden" sources of energy.
To me this means that time is a matter of human perception, not a true dimension.
Anybody have comments?

EDIT: by the way, if space/time is curved, then no you don't have to go the speed of light. You just have to figure out what it's curved around and find a way to traverse that. (wormholes). I don't fully understand string theory so I have a hard time imagining exactly how you'd do that. For all I know, you'd have to exceed the speed of light to break from this curve and pass through a worm hole. So i guess the answer is maybe.

[edit on 5-7-2004 by The Vagabond]

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
One thing few people seem to think of is you need a time/space machine. Whether you go forward or backward, the Earth would be in a different locaion.
As for the rest, It is theorized that the closer one gets to the speed of light, time slows down and mass goes infinite-currently a real issue in getting anything but photons to hit the speed of light.
We also know that very strong gravity affects both light (bends the path) and time-slows it down.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Einstein theory also states that as you accelerate an object towards the speed of light the inertial mass of that object increases. Theoretically, the MASS would become infinite if the object could be accelerated all the way to the speed of light. As the speed of light is approached the FORCE required also becomes infinite

Therefore it is impossible to accelarate an object with non zero mass at rest beyond the speed of light.

There is also the "Grandfather Paradox". Going beyond the speed of light may be natures failsafe for that very reason.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
You forget that time is irrelevant. If you can time travel time would mean nothing. They say that time is just a big river flowing but yet the future would already of happened. some say we are just the past or something like that. But if you could time travel time would mean nothing. so really the Futrue wouldn't exsist. If you go there that's your PRESENT. To us it would be the future but to the person that time traveled that is the Present to them. And also if time is irelevant then I don't think Aliens would ever come here any way. Why travel back in time to a place that is very unadvanced(at least to them)? Why not just go 1000 years in the future to where we are advanced and just study tapes and written material about the Earth as it is now(but to them it would be back then). Why bother coming here to an unadvanced and some what uncivilized world? When they could travel 1000 or more years ahead. In order to travel in time you would have to rip a hole in space and time itself. If aliens are coming to Earth from Millions of Light Years away then they have the technology to do this or else they wouldn't make it here. Enless they started out Millions of years ago.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
A wormhole would seem to be the one possible way of traversing great distances in space. You would have to abandon the "shortest distance between to points is a straight line" theory. The shortest distance between to points is actually the same point.

Bend space so the two points become the same point, open a wormhole between these two points, pass through , straighten space back out again. One problem, it would require more energy than we could ever produce.

Stephan Hawkins study of Black Holes have thrown up some bizarre possibilities, since physics as we know it breaks down inside black holes. The mathematics seems to allow instant travel millions of miles across space, or even time travel.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by sniper068
One problem, it would require more energy than we could ever produce.

THAN WE COULD EVER PRODUCE. Who is this "we"? Humans? Apes? Who? And just because we with our present technology couldn't do it doesn't mean that some alien race out there couldn't with more advanced technology. Also who says that Physics is the same all over the universe. Yes we believe this but there is no way to prove it.

posted on Jul, 5 2004 @ 09:35 PM
link   

The future does exist. Everything exists. There is no time, there is no place. Everything just is. If you want to time travel i suggest you drop the whole notion of time and space. Realize that you can be wherever you want and are wherever you desire. It just takes your will to break out of the illusion we currently live in.

When you reach the dimension of infinity, only then will you be able to reinsert yourself in whatever time you want. But by then, I doubt you would want to come back to the illusion anytime soon.

[edit on 5-7-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   

I've watched alot of movies and read lots of stories about Time Machines and i just thought of an idea that may intrest someone. Few years ago a UFO crashed landed in roswell i think it was 1949 i forgot the year and there where stories of the government taking this UFO underground to do secret projects.

Actually it was 1947...July I believe...the basic story being that it was taken to Wright Field (later called Wright Patterson AFB) and reverse engineered.

I dont know if this is right but does a Time Machine need speed of light to work or something?

Until someone lets us know of a working time machine, the question is impossible to answer....

, and if it does how about a UFO we all know they travel at the speed of light so could it be possible for the government to have already a time machine built taken stuff from the UFO to get there time machine working?.

We don't KNOW anything about how UFOs travel, but we speculate. Most evidence points to them using a kind of "warp" technology to manipulate space/time. Essentially, it is time travel in a way (but it's instant travel through time/space), but not how you're envisioning it. If you're really curious on time travel, search our archives for Montauk, or the Philladelphia Experiment, etc. as it should pull up some interesting tidbits....

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Two things,

We are traveling forward in time right now, so it is possible to travel to the future.

Maybe the "Aleins" are humans from the future who have discovered time travel.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
As an object travels faster time slows down for you. While other people are moving at regular rates you see them moving fast. That is because the time around you is slower. It is very complicated but it is a known fact TIME IS NOT CONSTANT.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   
the "future" is relative. Were they able to see us, a person travelling at close to light speed would see a future that to us has yet to occur. Time is inextricablly linked to space (the space/time continuum) and exists as a block - a timescape if you will.

The second law of thermodynamics (entropy) gives our conciousness an arrow of time which makes it appear that we are moving forward in time.

Even at close to light speed time travel would take years and be impractical. The solution (if there is one) would be to use gravity to bend the space time continuum , in effect bringing your destination to you, rather than you travelling to it.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Before the first primate resembling man as we are today picked up a flaming tree limb and learned to control fire, we were simply utilizing what was given and never creating - basic needs are met by basic desires...after equiping themselves with tools they then progressed to forms of abstract thought...via cave drawings, carvings and later, burial rituals...

My point here is that we as a human species are still learning what our environment is capable of providing us - we're young, agile, curious but also destructive...if our luck holds up and we remain on this earth long enough, I'd expect some new development or understanding of our species...just consider the old cliche of what percentage of our brain we use, something like 10% right? Those who are capable of tantric meditation have now boundries as to where they can go...maybe this is something we will harness as a collective whole some day

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iknowalotofthings
Time machine needs speed of light, right?

Maybe not. If one part of a Bose condensate
that is quantum entangled is accelerated to
relativistic velocities such that it exists
in time dilated space-time, then returned
to common space-time of the bulk condensate,
it might be possible to teleport into the
past or future of the time interval of the
Bose condensate existence. This would be a
strictly limited form of time travel. One
would not be able to travel to a time before
the existence of the entanglement, or to
a time when the quantum entanglement of the