It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legalize Drunk Driving

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BillfromCovina

Why do you even need statistics? Read this thread and see how many people on this forum have suffered from the issue...

Now use your imagination - imagine that there were no people ever killed by drunk drivers in the world(or at least, these are very few). Now imagine that suddenly, you lose your closest most special person in the world, due to a moron under the influence driving a car. What would you do then?

Hypocracy at its best.

We all talk and talk, but when it comes to actions, those are most of the times completely opposite to the words we've spoken earlier... And by "WE" I mean "YOU"!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Edit to add - I'm planning on doing some drugs, then drinking, then I'll start a thread on here asking people to join me in going to a school and killing hundreds of kids. Explanation behind my reasons you deserve a ban.

you have to be the stupidest person on this website.. did you know that right now for that I could call the F.B.I and have you arrested for making terrorist threats? look it up before you post stupid crap like that... you can go to jail for it it doesn't matter if you meant it or not.. or to prove a point..

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Throwing out the death chart, my argument still stands with the other links as sources that it is a really really bad idea to drive drunk.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater
reply to post by ch1n1t0

Perhaps you need to unplug for a while.

Actually, I will, thanks for your consideration.

And thank you for derailing my post

I'm done here.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Here's how it would look in the OP's world.

Officers reported seeing Joe Drunk swerving all over the road firing a gun out of his window, and chugging on a 40 at 10:00 AM, and again at 11:30, unable to stop Joe Drunk for the erratic driving because, well, he wasn't hurting anyone so it was all ok, Joe Drunk proceeded to plow into John and Jane Doe's minivan killing John, Jane, and their 5 year old son Jimmy Doe. The police were then able to arrest Joe Drunk for vehicular manslaughter.

Oh if there were only some way to prevent such tragedies from happening in the first place.

Would that person not be stopped if he were doing the exact same thing on ginger ale instead of whiskey? This is such a flawed argument I actually laughed.

There's way too much emotion in this thread, nobody is looking at this issue realistically. They hear horrible things and think it's smart to immediately jump on the bandwagon because it'll make them a good person.

If you removed the blinders and looked at the issue with some logic instead of that fiery, emotional passion (which is never how one should decide what's fair, considering everyone has very different emotional definitions of "fair"), you'd see where the OP is coming from.

Spoiler alert: It's not because he wants to be allowed to drink and drive.

Edit to add:

reply to post by shiman

Who said driving drunk was a good idea?
edit on 12/18/2010 by EsSeeEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by ch1n1t0

Actually, I will, thanks for your consideration.

I'm done here.

Cool.

bye.
edit on 18-12-2010 by BigTimeCheater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1

Laws can ONLY PUNISH - never prevent.

Yes
Law can prevent as this law serves as a deterrent, I have seen people NOT drive, because they fear punishment,
a great many of people will abstain from driving while drunk. You are setting up a false dynamic... Clearly law cannot punish, laws are not physical entities - Neither are the lessons in the bible, yet somehow the words and concepts guide and deterrent people from expressed sinful acts; inspires them to go to church and the like.
Your dogma is so ridged you cannot even recognize that humans are social in nature, which makes humans
open to common guidelines and communal practices assigned to various actions or situations.

Discharging your gun on a subway or yelling fire in a crowded area is taboo for similar reasons.

Do you drive drunk???

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Reaper2137

I think I'm the second stupidest. (mainly because I replied on this thread in the first place)

I actually think the sarcasm REEKS from my post.

No, I don't think this would hold up in any court so, yeah, I'm the second stupidest

Ah, did I mention, I have nothing to do with the US (and I'm starting thinking I will never have) and FBI jurisdiction? LOL.

I rest my case.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mnemeth1

If you ever have a family member, friend or someone you respect killed by a drunk driver you will understand! Drink Driving or DUI is a criminal offense. More power to the laws on this one! Drink driving is stupid & anyone who condones it is stupid!. Of course it is breaking the law & rightly so!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by EsSeeEye

I took OP's original post as an argument as to why it is a good idea. Or why it shouldn't be illegal.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Why do you even need statistics? Read this thread and see how many people on this forum have suffered from the issue...

Now use your imagination - imagine that there were no people ever killed by drunk drivers in the world(or at least, these are very few). Now imagine that suddenly, you lose your closest most special person in the world, due to a moron under the influence driving a car. What would you do then?

Hypocracy at its best.

We all talk and talk, but when it comes to actions, those are most of the times completely opposite to the words we've spoken earlier... And by "WE" I mean "YOU"!

They are not dead because of a drunk driver. They are dead because driving is very dangerous. It is not because of the poor slob who is drinking or not paying attention. It is because the people at the top want it this way so they can make money. The people who died are also responsible as much as the drunk driver. They were also not paying enough attention to protect themselves and their families. I expect the worse when I am out on the road and plan for it. I have seen idiots reading books and news papers and every other type or worse behavior. The worst drivers I have seen were people talking on the cell phone and texting. Do you think the lady who just caused an accident while talking on a cell phone tells the officer she was talking on a cell phone? These laws are used to take away our freedoms under the excuse of safety. The laws will never make you safe. I would rather have my freedom and let me worry about my own safety.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by shiman

Then it's obvious you didn't read any of the source material or really anything past the thread title. Thanks for contributing without any knowledge of the discussion at hand.

Deny ignorance.

Edit: You weren't alone. 80% of this thread are posters much like you.
edit on 12/18/2010 by EsSeeEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Wow... So many people commenting are just not getting the point. IMO, the article is clearly presenting the case that the simple fact of making it illegal is intrusive on our freedom. I'm not condoning any type of moronic behavior, which in this case would be driving drunk, but making a law against something does nothing to the actual problem. Education about alcohol and its effects would do more than any law ever would. If you want to fix a problem you can't just try to cover it up by making it illegal.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater

Originally posted by whatukno
Here's how it would look in the OP's world.

Officers reported seeing Joe Drunk swerving all over the road firing a gun out of his window, and chugging on a 40 at 10:00 AM, and again at 11:30, unable to stop Joe Drunk for the erratic driving because, well, he wasn't hurting anyone so it was all ok, Joe Drunk proceeded to plow into John and Jane Doe's minivan killing John, Jane, and their 5 year old son Jimmy Doe. The police were then able to arrest Joe Drunk for vehicular manslaughter.

Oh if there were only some way to prevent such tragedies from happening in the first place.

Given that the police have no legal obligation to protect anyone who isnt in their custody, youre solution is what? Arrest Joe Drunk for something he might have done?

Oh for Cripes sake, this argument and your attempt to achieve a more distilled version of idiocy is way beneath you man...

They are paid to serve and protect - sometimes they achieve this mantra - it is called a job and a social contract with the community.

You are arresting someone for being irresponsible, the act of drinking and driving is the act they are being arrested for.

Never the less - this is a very simian attempt at dramatics,

arresting drunk drivers is not beyond the pale.

Now arresting a drunk walker is different - (ask me and I will have a heart attack!)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillfromCovina

The people who died are also responsible as much as the drunk driver. They were also not paying enough attention to protect themselves and their families. I expect the worse when I am out on the road and plan for it.

My sisters first husband was run over, while walking on a roadside, by a drunk driver. He lay vegetative for 15 years as a result. He never saw the birth of his child. I had to help raise a child who visited a drooling flesh bag, rather than a real "dad" for 14 1/2 years.

And you really think that this situation was HIS fault?

Do you really take the "Don't blame the drunk, blame the guy who was too stupid to get out of the drunks way." point of view?

Unreal.

~Heff

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   
OP if you don't believe that laws should be preventative, what is your stance on restraining orders? Do you think they're meaningless too?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnemeth1
It is not OK to endanger someone else's life.

If they hurt someone, steep penalties should be applied.

However, if they don't hurt anyone, they haven't actually committed a crime.

I have an even better idea. Why not give everyone their own personal WMD? Like where you can choose between atomic bomb or chemical weapon. It is not a crime if you do not use it to kill each and every living thing on this planet, is it?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   

reply to post by Reaper2137

I think I'm the second stupidest. (mainly because I replied on this thread in the first place)

I actually think the sarcasm REEKS from my post.

No, I don't think this would hold up in any court so, yeah, I'm the second stupidest

Ah, did I mention, I have nothing to do with the US (and I'm starting thinking I will never have) and FBI jurisdiction? LOL.

I rest my case.

there is this kind of law on the books in most first world country's.. weather or not you are sarcastic I don't disagree with what you said and I got that.. but trust me when I say I know from my own life and watching some one I know have this done to.. it can come back and haunt you lol..

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a pathetic argument really..
wow.. just wow...

kx

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillfromCovina

They are not dead because of a drunk driver. They are dead because driving is very dangerous. It is not because of the poor slob who is drinking or not paying attention. It is because the people at the top want it this way so they can make money. The people who died are also responsible as much as the drunk driver. They were also not paying enough attention to protect themselves and their families. I expect the worse when I am out on the road and plan for it. I have seen idiots reading books and news papers and every other type or worse behavior. The worst drivers I have seen were people talking on the cell phone and texting. Do you think the lady who just caused an accident while talking on a cell phone tells the officer she was talking on a cell phone? These laws are used to take away our freedoms under the excuse of safety. The laws will never make you safe. I would rather have my freedom and let me worry about my own safety.

With all due respect this is just stupid... If drunk person didn't drink in the first place they might have
been of the mind to make better decisions, with a faster reaction time. This the most idiot manifestation of liberalism there is, I would hardly call a statute intended to influence you drunk habits an attack upon freedom.
If it is that bad, go to Somalia, they do not have enforcement on many thing and that is real freedom a?!

new topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join