It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans----> You're FAT!

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Some thoughts on this painful and pervasive subject. First, to cause extensive harm to ourselves in any form, be it from eating, smoking, drugs...is indicative of ongoing pain. As a result, loving oneself goes completely out the window. If so inclined, have a look at Marianne Williamson's site and her new book on weight loss. Weight loss is a spiritual and an emotional issue FIRST, diet and exercise second.

American's lives have become ridiculous. My son is 13 years old, he has three hours of homework per night and weekend not including studying for tests, science projects and long narrative English papers. His Dad is working three jobs, and, I am on medical leave for lupus. Disability denied and on appeal..we are selling the house, (which we should) and I am volunteering until my hearing. Its effing nuts out here for Americans! Nevertheless, Slayer is right, its no excuse not to love and care for yourself and your family. I was buying those frozen pre-made dinners and we all blew up like balloons. Not any more. Americans have to say "no" to crazy and "no" to bad food.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:08 PM
link   
The History of Fitness
www.unm.edu...

I thought this was interesting.

Time for ax men, ;o)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Thanks for the link.

Primitive man and fitness (pre-10,000 B.C)]/b] Primitive nomadic lifestyles required the continual task of hunting and gathering food for survival (1). Tribes commonly went on one- or two- day hunting journeys for food and water. Regular physical activity apart from that necessary for hunting and gathering was also a principal component of life. Following successful hunting and gathering excursions, celebration events included trips of six to 20 miles to neighboring tribes to visit friends and family, where dancing and cultural games could often last several hours. This Paleolithic pattern of subsistence pursuit and celebration, demanding a high level of fitness and consisting of various forms of physical activity, defined human life (2).

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
truthseeker1984 ...... I am a mortician not a funeral director you uneducated tool. Why would I be selling caskets ? I have been doing mortuary work since my early teens, so have watched the obesity epidemic unfold right in front of me. I am well aware of how cheap and plentiful food has become at the same rate as people exercise less. It is not rocket science.

I also run a fitness center that offers free training to the morbidly obese. To save their lives. With my own money I have also put some of the machines I build in lower socio-economic areas being used with local health experts to help fight obesity.

Just because I call people out on the BS excuses, 99% of the overweight use, does not mean I don't care. By not enabling their excuses and actually doing something physical to help them , I care more than you would know.

In fact I would be willing to bet I have already done more to fight obesity than you will ever do.

Dude, jump down off that high horse. We know you're amazing...you've hinted at that with every other post.

I am well aware of how cheap and plentiful food has become at the same rate as people exercise less.

Honestly, I don't care who you are or what you've done, but if you start fabricating information to support you stance....I'm gunna call you out.

First of all, exercise was NOT common until a nice gentleman--who coincidentally died of a heart attack--started the pavement pounding movement with his book called Jogging. The only people going to gyms prior to that were bodybuilders, athletes and power lifters. That's it. The truth is, we're exercising more. And please don't try and point to the working class as exercising daily through energy demanding jobs. The men would work, yes. And some would work demanding jobs. But the women stayed home to take care of the children and maintain a home, they certainly did get much exercise...if any at all. Oh, and they weren't fat.

The fact that exercise (caloric expenditure through vigorous activity) has little to do with sustained fat loss is well documented in medical journals and is supported by epidemiological observations throughout the world. (certain exercises do indeed work well, in tandem with a sensible diet, but they don't work through caloric expenditure. But rather through a increasing hormonal sensitivities)

In fact, there's some evidence that simply working out to burn calories is contributing to the obesity problem.

If eating less or moving more actually worked there wouldn't be many fat people. But it's not that easy. This is why people have a bad attitude towards fat people. We assume that losing fat is a simple process in which you make a choice to eat less or move more, which insinuates fat people just don't have self control and they're lazy and that's why they're fat. Well, that's just not the case. There are physiological responses to becoming obese....

The body has a system in place that regulates weight....unconsciously. When calories aren't readily available (either locked in the fat cells or recently consumed) the body responds by limiting catabolic processes, activating hunger, lowering body temperature and by creating a feeling of lethargy to the point where "laziness" may be observed.. When calories are readily available (either exogenously or endogenously) the body raises body temperature, decreases hunger and calories are expended without regard. If too much is consumed...the body does the latter and also increases body temp more while doing involuntary actions that burn calories and by creating a feeling of..."I wanna MOVE"

The above is why people fail when trying to lose weight via calorie deficits. Exercise has little to do with it and is, honestly, unwarranted.

And your posts reek of "holier than thou" They're really hard to read thoroughly.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
So my posts "reek of holier than though" do they.

Maybe you can "Call me out" and put down what you have done to help fight the obesity epidemic. Or are you all just talk and excuses ?

www.eurekalert.org... from the European Association for the Study of Obesity

Keep fooling yourself its not peoples lifestyle that creates obesity. Its God fault right ?

www.vibration-training-advice.com...

The fact is we didn't used to have to exercise because our jobs were more physical. It called accidental exercise. We exercise now to make up for that lack of stimulation.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

What I'm really wondering is if you hide your disgust for the people who come to your workout classes, or are you open and upfront with how you feel about them? If it's the latter, what's your success rate?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Actually I am very up front with people. And its not disgust I have for someone with weight issues, its the excuses that are disgusting. And demean people with real health problems.

I have had a very good success rate at looking people in the eye and telling them, you are going to die young, and it wont be a nice death. It will probably involve septicemia and an amputation. ( these people are sent to me by Doctors that can see it coming from a mile off ) The skin is already going black on the legs and they have septic ulcers.

As I am well known for my mortuary work in the Polynesian and Maori communities, they take me seriously.

I deal with worse case scenario in and out of the mortuary. But at least I am doing my best to "deal" with it.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

So my posts "reek of holier than though" do they.

Maybe you can "Call me out" and put down what you have done to help fight the obesity epidemic. Or are you all just talk and excuses ?

www.eurekalert.org... from the European Association for the Study of Obesity

Keep fooling yourself its not peoples lifestyle that creates obesity. Its God fault right ?

www.vibration-training-advice.com...

Yes, you've been more than happy to proudly display your shirtless picture, your machine, a study about your machine (that's not even well designed study at that), and some website. Seen it. That doesn't mean you know what you're talking about.

This isn't a competition, sir. So just calm down. There's no need to compare resumes (and I've done my share of helping).

The fact is we didn't used to have to exercise because our jobs were more physical. It called accidental exercise. We exercise now to make up for that lack of stimulation.

If you'll look two posts up...you know, the post to which you were responding...you'll notice I addressed this issue and it's a moot point.

Women didn't work. They stayed at home and led relatively sedentary lives.

And don't forget that there are plenty of cases throughout history, and today, all around the world that show sedentary people (Prewesternized Inuit women) in great shape.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Women didn't work. They stayed at home and led relatively sedentary lives.

You are joking right ? What period of history and section of the population are you talking about.

Have you ever tried to wash cloths by hand. Collect firewood and help gather food. Work on the farm etc... Sure they were not as physical as the men, but certainly not inactive.

The only way to get more food was to work harder, so it naturally balanced itself out.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Oh yea, and it wasn't my machine in that study. So why did you mention that. Or let me guess you were just being lazy and not checking.

And it wasn't my study. But it had 4 control groups which is better than most I have seen.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by thedeadtruth

I'm all for telling people what they really need to hear when it comes to dealing with obesity, I just hope you don't pepper the conversations you have with them with cute little nicknames like "fatty".

I am sorry fatties but the truth is, the ONLY way you got fat was by eating too much for your own personal metabolism.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tetrarch42
I have a local pizza chain on speed dial, I have gum and candy wrappers on my desk, I ate tacos for dinner and my garbage has seven coke cans visible, and that's only the top. I'm underweight by a small margin (BMI is 2-3 points below what is considered "healthy/average". Also, I'm an American, though I'm not from the U.S.A.
, guess alot of people envy the fast metabolism.

Be careful if your metabolism changes, be alert.

Also it doesn't mean your healthy, you could also be skinny fat, lacking muscle etc. Eating healthy is not just about looks. But I'm sure you know that.
edit on 19-12-2010 by _Phoenix_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
No I do not demean people in any way. But people know to not even try and BS me.

I help anyone who tries to help themselves.

I was only harsh in this conversation due to the amount of "enablers" and fake medical condition posters. I see people on my mortuary table with real medical conditions that kill them. For someone to make it up as part of some denial system is sick.

They need a hard slap.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

My metabolism change at 40. Literally to the day.

Scary as hell.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wademus
reply to post by SLAYER69

God knows theres only fat people in America.

Strange, I never saw any fatties anywhere else.........Oh WAIT! I DID.

Euro trash is just mad because we can eat beef everyday and there is ALWAYS milk at the store. We can weigh whatever we want and still outlive the crappy europeans because we arent stuck with government regulated medicine and bad teeth.

Oh but Im an American, I have no cultural understanding.............OH WAIT, MY COUNTRY IS BIGGER THAN YOUR CONTINENT. And my state is the size of Germany.

But I dont travel.......OH WAIT! I DONT NEED TO, CUZ AMERICA HAS EVERYTHING.

Go hop in your 4banger geo metro or your fiat or whatever the hell worthless diesel you own. I have to go gas up my big truck and my GTO and live a free life on my land. Think Ill go out back and shoot my guns wildly and have a few beers and enjoy the heaping failure that is europe and how it has pailed in comparison to America for over a century. A country so much younger and newer its unreal

LOL wtf is this a joke?

Nice job making friends with Europeans I guess. Also I'm going to guess that Slayer is American lol.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

My metabolism change at 40. Literally to the day.

Scary as hell.

LOL that's interesting. Could the mind have an affect on it?

p.s is that you in the avatar? Nice job if it is.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Yes that is me.

I know all the scientific reason why my metabolism slowed, and I am aware this can reach a certain tipping point where it seems to happen overnight. But it is still a shock when it actually happens to yourself and not someone else.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

You are joking right ? What period of history and section of the population are you talking about.

Have you ever tried to wash cloths by hand. Collect firewood and help gather food. Work on the farm etc... Sure they were not as physical as the men, but certainly not inactive.

Relatively sedentary! That doesn't mean inactive.

I hate talking about my own experiences...but I'm sure you can relate. I play basketball regularly. Full court. Usually for an hour or two. I've seen it for 4 years...people playing basketball on a daily basis and not losing fat. Same with people running on treadmills. I worked in a warehouse for 4 years watching coworkers bust their balls in 100 degree weather for 40 hours a week and still remain obese.

Why? Because caloric expenditure during a workout is irrelevant. Effective exercises for fatloss are based on EPOC and insulin sensitivity.

Once again, people are not fat because they're inactive. They're fat because of their dietary choices. It's been observed for a few hundred years that bedridden people LOSE weight(not always sickly).

Diet is the one common factor. Not total caloric value...but caloric quality.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Oh yea, and it wasn't my machine in that study. So why did you mention that. Or let me guess you were just being lazy and not checking.

And it wasn't my study. But it had 4 control groups which is better than most I have seen.

I read it a few months ago when you were boasting your pedigree. Slipped my mind whose machine was used. Regardless, the study doesn't do much for me. Plus, it's only one study, buddy.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

Why are you only mentioning cardio exercise, which is proven not that effective at long term body composition change ?

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join