It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Americans----> You're FAT!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:52 AM
link   
I have a local pizza chain on speed dial, I have gum and candy wrappers on my desk, I ate tacos for dinner and my garbage has seven coke cans visible, and that's only the top. I'm underweight by a small margin (BMI is 2-3 points below what is considered "healthy/average". Also, I'm an American, though I'm not from the U.S.A.
, guess alot of people envy the fast metabolism.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:54 AM
link   
More stereo typing on ATS great job.
Deny ignorance is the motto i thought on this website.
But I see it is in more abundance as of late than any before.

People are big boned my friend.
Your Sofa King We Tar did if you want to lump a group of people in your list.

We wasn't allowed to huddle all the Muslim's up on ats as a threat to society was we?
No just some was radical lol

I am a 35 year old man with a 6 year old girl who is 5 foot 6 ..big ole girl
Doctor proven her bones in her arms are bigger than mine..and i am 35 years old.
So yes it happens.
Stupid people such as the op is why i was in jail last week.
People of his sort do not run there mouth in person lol

Are some people fat lard arse's? YES
But to be vicious and as mean as you are in this thread Just show's alot of flag's 56 i think was not raised right.
As you like full metal jacket so much...
MOMMY AND DADDY DIDN'T SHOW YOU ENOUGH ATTENTION!!!!!! so you make fun of people on the internet...

Either way does it hurt you if there fat?
No way in god's green earth can you prove fat people hurt your way of life lol
If you don;t like fat people so be it.
But to belittle them like there below garbage...and even use the TYPICAL TROLL stereo type FAT AMERICAN'S...
ATS community would be better off if you never logged back in.

Simply based on if you hate your own country men and women to poke fun at them..
You mind is made up.
Any info you post on ATS will be bias and flawed.
Much like this thread.
ATS community doesn't need smart arse punk's trolling.
We need productive conspiracy theorist's...NOT bias...
And you apparently are neither my friend.
In short i send my condolences to your parent's...because if they read how you poke fun at people different than you they would be ashamed.
Hell i am ashamed for you.
Well more for your parents sake cause you made them look like they sucked at raising a kid with any common sense.

Deepest regret's
TheAmused

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
reply to post by intrepid

Humans have been raising kids for a pretty long time.

But widespread obesity is only a new problem.

Explain to me again how being a parent makes you fat ?

Deny ignorance indeed.

One question, are you a parent, if you are then i concede.

I am and I am not fat..
I have a daughter of 6 and a little boy of 4.
Being a parent doesn't make you fat, it just gives you an excuses to become fat.
I still work out 3 time a week and use weights twice a day.
Nothing really heavey, just to keep in peak condition, not for me but for ty. for my, it is pretty awesome still being pretty ripped.

So no being a parent doesn't make you fat.

People really need to stop making excuses for being fat.
The reason you are fat is because you let yourself be.
Alot of people claim that it is genetics or medications or som glandproblem. But only for a few people thgis is true.The rest just don't take care of themself.
edit on 18-12-2010 by Subjective1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2010 by Subjective1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackOps719
reply to post by David_Reale

I have a theory to that extent as well, even though Im not sure it is correct.

I believe that the harder one's ancestors had to work to eat and struggle to survive, the more likely it is that obesity is prevelant in the gene pool.

Some people just gain weight and their body holds on to every pound like it will be its last, where as some metabolize calories quickly. I think part of it stems from that working poor starving man syndrome, that chromosome in our bodies that can still remember going without food for days on end in harsh conditions.

Also it explains how some can be sedentary and gain weight quickly, because their recent lineage has been that of hard physical work and physical struggle. Since we arent out chasing animals, moving rocks or plowing fields with our bare hands any longer, those calories stick to us and turn to fat, where as before they would have been easily burned in day to day struggles.

Ever notice how certain ethnic groups seem to gain weight and are just larger in general than many others.

I blame my bastardized Scotish / Viking heritage. We are big people in my family. Not necessarily fat, just large framed, tall, sturdy people.

Some cultures I attribute it to poor diet and high carb eating habits, like hispanic culture for example. Everything made of beans and rice and flower, hence the tendency for obesity. Same with white southern culture, same with black culture, lots of fried foods, rich butter based sauces, too much fat and sugar.

But I do believe genetics plays a big part.

You know, this isn't impossible by any means. The first example that strikes me, where we see genetics being shaped by the kind of life a person lives, is that Africans, who had to suffer the harsher African sun back in the neolithic heydays, became black, Asians who had to suffer the sharper sun of Asia were given epicanthic folds around their eyes, and Europeans, who had to suffer the bone-chilling cold of Europe, and the north in particular, were given lots of hair on their bodies to help preserve heat. These are all examples of how genetics were shaped by the conditions under which people lived.

It's probably quite possible that genetics could adapt to the poor man's lifestyle quite fast, allowing them and their descendants, to store fat easier to stay alive. It works like this, you see (for anyone who doesn't know much about the rise of man as a species) - the poor men who couldn't store fat died quickly from starvation. Those poor who could store fat, survived, thereby promoting their genes in the descendant generation gene pool. And it kept going like that until modern society started providing everyone with food. That's the same way it happened with blacks taking their skin color, Europeans their hair and Asians their characteristic eyes.

And, that fat storing gene in the gene pool would possibly be a curse, in today's society, quite possibly resulting in an epedemic of obesity, as we see today. Though I would not blame all of it on genetics, of course.

So in the end one must then accept that different people have different conditions (Genetics) under which they can live and can/can't grow fat. Some, like me, wouldn't grow fat even if we drank a barrel of liquid larder, while others gain weight just by looking at cookies. As easy as it is for me who can't grow fat at all, to say, we do owe it to our bodies to work and live with those conditions in mind.

That, and we feel a helluvalot better doing it.

About a year ago, I decided I was going to try to apply for the Swedish military. So I started working out and jogging - a lot. It was the first time in my life that I worked out seriously, and the first time I actually jogged with any regularity. Now, a year later, I can run for longer periods of time than I've ever been able to before, and I can almost see a sixpack taking shape on my belly.

Regardless of the sexy look of it (which, honestly, is its own reward as a confidence boost in itself and something everyone should be allowed to feel), I feel better than I've ever felt before in my life, by it. Because, this is the way the body is intended to be used. And it feels its best when it's used the way it's supposed to.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
So girls see themselves as Klingons? I think they're being too hard on themselves.

You're right though, Americans are fat, but then so are Australians, Indians, Asians, Canadians etc. The world is full of fat people because most people are too lazy to diet and exercise to stay in shape. But then it's easy for slim people like myself to say this because we never had to work at staying in shape. Maybe it's harder than it looks.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
The funny thing about this is, i'm English and i spent 4 months over in the States this summer and i actually didn't see that many fat people. Occasionally i would see some HUGELY obese person but i wouldn't see it regularly.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I like food. I love cheeseburgers. Home made and fast food. I know I could lose weight although I'm not terribly overweight. Whatever happens happens. I ignore the healthfreaks and acknowledge the advisors of decent health.
Eat of you like. Just know the consequences.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

are you fat?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

When i was fourteen I noticed I began to be little overweight.
There were some family issues. Anyways my mother fell in love and so I got a second father. We didn't get along too well, but he taught me many things my first father didn't. Anyways he noted that I was little chubby so he pointed that out very clearly. He made me to go outside with him and my mom to the forest on long walks for a few times every week. On shopping trips to close supermarket with my mother he convinced my mother not to buy any sweets or chips for me. He constantly reminded of what I might become if I don't control my eating habits. When I was in school I started to deny myself buying candies from nearby shop and buying soda from vending machine to help me cope with my long schooldays. Instead of Mars or Snickers I bought apples or mandarines. When I was on holiday and there was full table all kinds of sweets, cakes, desserts I limited my appetite to only one piece of cake etc. Eventually my second father lured whole family to go to local swimming hall. It became a habit for me to go every week to local swimming hall. One fay I noticed I was actually in quite good shape and I was one of the best in Cooper's test in my PE Class.

Anyways my mother and my father broke up, but I'm thankful for him for showing me the way in many things in my life. We had our issues (or actually he had his own issues against children of any kind from last marriage...but that diff story...), but he taught me so many things I'm thankful to him. What I lacked was self-dicipline and he taught me to rely on myself, to work hard to achieve my goal and to always plan my life. Now I'm nineteen and through i have not always succeeded I'm in a good shape and even through I have right now really busy life I have managed to have time to go to gym weekly and have still some free time.

P.S. I think many people should cut out soda. I remember I drank soda much more before. Now I barely drink one glass of coke in the period of three months. I know alcohol is bad too, one of my friends used to drink a lot (going to parties all the time...) he really became obese, but then he pulled himself up...and last time I saw him he wasn't obese anymore. (Drinks and beer is really bad....)

edit on 18-12-2010 by SpeDeZo because: Why english is s hard?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Liamoville
The funny thing about this is, i'm English and i spent 4 months over in the States this summer and i actually didn't see that many fat people. Occasionally i would see some HUGELY obese person but i wouldn't see it regularly.

Then you never visited the beaches of Los Angeles. You won't see any "Baywatch" class babe there. Actually, following the approach of this topic, we should write a topic about "Botox" and "Plastic surgery", titled: How to be artificially ugly.
edit on 18-12-2010 by Sentinel412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:08 AM
link   

It's true that many people need to become more active and health-concious. Most importantly, exercise and lifestyle changes can help alleviate infection-caused obesity and related chronic disease.

BUT

Obesity is one symptom of several infectious and ultimately life threatening epidemics now rampant in the USA.

There is an absolute WEALTH of research proving that obesity results from underlying chronic infections interracting with 'environmental factors.' Much of this information is on file at the US National Institutes of Health PubMed database, and with the EPA's "Environmental Perspectives" online journal.

Please note: food contaminations (mainly) transmit the infections and accelerate disease progression. …the so-called "genetic" component results from mutations caused both by disease and exposure to environmental contamination (check out epigenetics).

Popular spin that blames the victims is pure bs, designed to protect government and corporations from liability lawsuits.

…Remember the "Cheeseburger Bill"? Back then, the studies were rolling in about viruses, bacteria and prions that were NOT covered by the FDA, but WERE linked to chronic disease like obesity. ...Instead of adding the new culprits to the FDA list, the "Cheeseburger Bill" stipulated that new microbes/viruses/prions would NOT be added to the list, and infection-related chronic disease related to food-borne infection would NOT be covered. …The pitch said the Bill was designed to prevent "frivolous lawsuits" - but in fact, it was designed to protect corporations and government from liability.

Pulled a few of my own old references because they were easy to get at, but there's lots of new research too.

From 2004, Virus Causes Obesity; Obesity Causes Heart Disease?:

Both obesity and heart disease are epidemic in the USA, causing widespread stroke and early death. A virus may cause obesity says one study; another links obesity to heart disease. Different research links heart disease to pollution. Earlier studies show chronic infections play a role in heart disease and stroke - and the EPA links obesity to genetic mutations caused by exposure to environmental chemicals during pregnancy. It's all true, says the new science paradigm. Going well beyond old-science assumptions of simple cause-and-effect, the new paradigm says modern diseases are interconnected, and result from the interaction of multiple factors like infections, pollution and new genetic mutations caused by both.

From 2005:

Links between obesity and prion-related diseases like Mad Cow were made some time ago. Prion diseases are known to make fat cells or "lipids" mutate, but no one quite understands how it all works. Research presented at the recent Biochemical Society Symposium helps unravel the mystery.

A key molecular event in prion diseases is the conversion of PrP (prion protein) from its normal cellular form (PrP(c)) into the disease-specific form (PrP(Sc)). The transition from PrP(c) to PrP(Sc) involves a major conformational change, resulting in amorphous aggregates and/or fibrillar amyloid deposits. Here, we review several lines of evidence implicating membranes in the conversion of PrP, and summarize recent results from our own work on the role of lipid membranes in conformational transitions of prion proteins. By establishing new correlations between in vivo biological findings with in vitro biophysical results, we propose a role for lipid rafts in prion conversion, which takes into account the structural heterogeneity of PrP in different lipid environments.

Biochem Soc Symp. 2005;(72):211-22. Lipids, Rafts and Traffic: Chapter 20 - Aggregation and fibrillization of prions in lipid membranes. Kazlauskaite J, Pinheiro TJ. Department of Biological Sciences, University of Warwick, Coventry CV4 7AL, U.K. PMID: 15649144

From 2006:

Here are a few scientific abstracts with the word obesity in the titles and abstracts:

Hyperinsuline mia induced by canine distemper virus infection of mice and its correlation with the appearance of obesity. Comp Biochem Physiol B. 1988;91(4):691-6. Bernard A, Zwingelstein G, Meister R, Wild TF. Unite de Virologie Fondamentale et Appliquee, INSERM U.51, CNRS UA 613 Lyon, France.

1. Weanling Swiss mice surviving an acute infection with canine distemper virus were persistently infected. Among these mice, up to 30% had hyperinsulinemia and this was followed by an obesity syndrome. 2. Analysis of the lipid composition of various organs revealed that compared to control animals, the obese had an accumulation of triglycerides in both liver and adipose tissue. 3. Studies on the lipid metabolism using a number of radioactive lipid precursors showed a specific accumulation of the triglycerides of the obese animals. 4. A decrease of lipogenesis was observed in white adipose tissue of obese mice. Glycogenesis and serum glucose levels were unaffected during obesity. 5. The model of canine distemper virus-induced obesity is compared with other experimental models.
PMID: 3224507

Distribution of Borna disease virus in the brain of rats infected with an obesity-inducing virus strain. Brain Pathol. 2000 Jan;10(1):39-48. Herden C, Herzog S, Richt JA, Nesseler A, Christ M, Failing K, Frese K. Institut fur Virologie, Justus-Liebig-Universitat Giessen, Germany.

Experimental infection of Lewis rats with Borna disease virus (BDV), a nonsegmented, single-stranded RNA virus, usually causes an immune-mediated biphasic neurobehavioral disorder. Such animals develop a persistent infection of the CNS with viral antigen expression in all brain regions and a disseminated nonpurulent meningoencephalitis. Interestingly, intracerebral infection of Lewis rats with a BDV-variant (BDV-ob) causes a rapid increase of body weight with the development of an obesity syndrome without obvious neurological signs. The obese phenotype is correlated with a characteristic distribution of inflammatory lesions and BDV-antigen in the rat brain. Infiltration with mononuclear immune cells and viral antigen expression are restricted to the septum, hippocampus, amygdala and ventromedian tuberal hypothalamus. Therefore, infection with the obesity-inducing BDV-ob results most likely in neuroendocrine dysregulations leading to the development of an obesity syndrome. This might be due to the restriction of viral antigen expression and inflammatory lesions to brain areas which are involved in the regulation of body weight and food intake. The BDV-induced obesity syndrome represents a model for the study of immune-mediated neuroendocrine disorders caused by viral infections of the CNS.
PMID: 10668894

Infectobesi ty: obesity of infectious origin. J Nutr. 2001 Oct;131(10):2794S-2797S. Dhurandhar NV. The Department of Nutrition and Food Science and the Center for Molecular Medicine and Genetics, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI 48202, USA. [email protected]

In the U.S., the prevalence of obesity increased by 30% from 1980 to 1990, and this increase appears to be continuing. Although obesity has multiple etiologies, an overlooked possibility is obesity of an infectious origin. Six pathogens are reported to cause obesity in animals. Canine distemper virus was the first virus reported to cause obesity in mice, followed by Rous-associated virus-7, an avian retrovirus, which has been shown to cause stunting, obesity and hyperlipidemia in chickens. Next, the obesity-promoting effect of Borna disease virus was demonstrated in rats. Scrapie agents were reported to induce obesity in mice and hamsters. The final two reports were of SMAM-1, an avian adenovirus, and Ad-36, a human adenovirus that caused obesity in animals. Additionally, an association with human obesity is the unique feature of SMAM-1 and Ad-36. Although the exact mechanism of pathogen-induced obesity is unclear, infection attributable to certain organisms should be included in the long list of potential etiological factors for obesity. In addition, the involvement of some pathogens in etiology of obesity suggests the possibility of a similar role for additional pathogens.
PMID: 11584109
Full Text

Alteration of the leptin network in late morbid obesity induced in mice by brain infection with canine distemper virus. J Virol. 1999 Sep;73(9):7317-27. Bernard A, Cohen R, Khuth ST, Vedrine B, Verlaeten O, Akaoka H, Giraudon P, Belin MF. INSERM U433, Neurobiologie Experimentale et Physiopathologie, Faculte de Medecine RTH Laennec, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France. [email protected]

Viruses can induce progressive neurologic disorders associated with diverse pathological manifestations, and therefore, viral infection of the brain can impair differentiated neural functions, depending on the initial viral tropism. We have previously reported that canine distemper virus (CDV) targets certain mouse brain structures, including the hypothalamus, early and selectively. Infected mice exhibit acute encephalitis, with late disease, characterized by motor impairment or obesity syndrome, appearing in some of the surviving mice several months after the initial viral replication. In the present study, we show viral persistence in the hypothalami of obese mice, as demonstrated by low, but still significant, levels of CDV nucleoprotein transcripts, associated with a dramatic decrease in F gene mRNAs. Given the pivotal role of the hypothalamus in obesity (eating behavior, energy consumption, and neuroendocrine function) and that of leptin, the adipose tissue-derived satiety factor acting through hypothalamic receptors, we analyzed the leptin networks in both obese and nonobese mice. The discrepancy found between the chronic and dramatic increase in blood leptin levels and the occurrence of obesity may be due to leptin resistance in the brain. In fact, expression of the long leptin receptor isoform, representing the functional leptin receptor, was specifically downregulated in the hypothalami of obese mice, explaining their inability to generate an adequate response to leptin in the brain. Intriguingly, during the acute phase of infection, its expression was increased in CDV-targeted structures in all infected mice and remained high in obese mice in all CDV-targeted structures, except for the hypothalamus. The biphasic change in hypothalamic leptin receptor expression seen during the progression of CDV-induced obesity provides a new paradigm for understanding mechanisms of neuroendocrinological, virus-induced abnormalities.
PMID: 10438820
Full Text

Also worth looking for:
Virus-induced obesity. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2006 Jan;290(1):R188-9. Greenway F. PMID: 16352860 (No Abstract)

edit on 18/12/10 by soficrow because: format

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
The word is no longer fat or obese and as Ralphie from the Comedy Club puts it we are now known to be fluffy and don't ya forget it lol.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Torgo

If I had a family like yours,I would
pray to God that I was adopted!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
My sister is 5'3 and is 300 pounds.Two years ago she was 140 pounds,and no we don't live in America,but she ate her way up to that weight.On the other hand I'm 5'6 and 115 pounds.We have the same parents,the same genetics,live in the same house.The difference is that my diet consist of fresh vegetables,fruits,meat and yogurt and i always find the time to go to the gym at least three times a week,and only occasionally indulge myself in desserts,pizza or something like that.But she made food her lifestyle,she more or less eats all day,not proper breakfast,launch or dinner,just tubs of ice cream,chocolate,pizza,pasta and sweet drinks.My parents and I try talking to her about it pretty much every day,but she just gets mad and doesn't want to listen.With the rate she is going with her weight in a year or two,or even sooner she will have heart attack,develop diabetes or just die.But the worst thing is that she is in a total delusion about her weight,she doesn't realize how fat she is,or she just doesn't want to acknowledge as realty,it's terrible.
edit on 18-12-2010 by The Adnachiel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Seriously.....

I 'ate to disappoint you but (sigh) my country is. 26% of Aussie Adults are obese and Umericans are measly 25%. So all I can say is, Come On Umerica your 2nd...., you really need to visit McDonalds more often. However the US does have the Biggest and Heaviest over weight, so it's not a total loss.

I blame companies like Pizza Hut and Bugger King, and of course McDonalds for sucking kids in as early as 4yo.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by The Adnachiel

To pack on that much weight in such a short
time,there is a problem somewhere.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   

I want to see myself as Nightcrawler

R.I.P. Elf

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Just in time for winter break. I got to lose about 40 pounds and return to my 2 years ago weight.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Why is China having a diabetes/obesity epidemic right now?

Dioxins and Toxins polluting their water, air, soil.

Why was manufacturing moved out of America? Because the water, air, and soil was full of dioxins and toxins and America was heavily polluted. Congress was receiving reports on it and the fact that every waterway in America was "hindered" which is a polite word for polluted to hell.

The human body when exposed to dioxins and toxins will PUT those poisons in body fat as a measure to protect your internal organs.

South Korea did a study and found humans who had dioxins/toxins in their fat...if they lose that fat it will send those dioxins and toxins straight to your internal orgrans.

Diabetes and Obesity is from America being polluted. Why do you think Congress shut down all the dairy farmers and switched to getting powdered milk from other countries? Even our milk was full of radioactive crap, toxins, and dioxins.

We polluted the living crap out of America. General Electric had 2 nuclear jet engines bolted to the ground in the midwest and irradiated the Bread Basket of the world with those dang things until they were forced to turn them off. Do any of you comprehend the level of pollution we did to our country?

THAT'S why manufacturing went to China. Pollute them instead. THAT'S why the Border is left open...we need new DNA coming in since we destroyed ours.

The prior Generation was pouring Hazardous Waste straight into our ground prior to Hazmat Laws. Entire areas of America had to be closed and evacuated. Complete towns moved. We are still dealing with a polluted America and it will be hundreds of years before our country is clean again.

The Marines are crying about Camp Lejeune Water but little do they know the water on Guam has TCE in the bottom of the water table from the military and it JUST GOT A Federal Waiver from the EPA because IT CANT BE CLEANED UP. The Marines would have better water at Camp Lejeune that what they are going to be drinking in Guam.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Yeah, um , like,

we ain't fat,

Um,

Its strategic caloric reserves, to guard against famine.

Yeah, thats it.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join