It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good Samaritans Face Fine After Rescuing Deer From Icy Water

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

"The reason the deer was in the water was due to a lack of natural instincts."

you clearly don't know deer are good swimmers .... If it was as dangerous as you seem to think the bunny cop would have stopped them .... I probably would have done something but I would not have gone in the water or on the ice. I grew up around the Susquehanna River and I understand what you are saying but life is full of chances ..... imagine the freedom to choose for youself .....

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns

you clearly don't know deer are good swimmers .... If it was as dangerous as you seem to think the bunny cop would have stopped them .... I probably would have done something but I would not have gone in the water or on the ice. I grew up around the Susquehanna River and I understand what you are saying but life is full of chances ..... imagine the freedom to choose for youself .....

They are very good natural swimmers, yes, but they do not swim in iced water. How do you reckon he stop them? Pull out a tazer, gun, or pepper spray? That would have made a whole other thread here. I think his actions were spot on. There was nothing that he could do to stop them without causing even more of an uproar, so once they were done he cited them for their actions. I think he did a very well balance action.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   
WOW! This has to be one of the more entertaining threads i've read in a while

I can't really comment now since most everyone has already said it for me. I did have one problem though.. why do you keep saying or implying that the officer told them beforehand not to try to save the deer? I read the same article and I never saw where they stated that. I did read this:

“And he didn’t say anything,” Jim Hart said. “We went in and out of the water numerous times. He didn’t stop us at all.”

So, that right there tells me, he didn't say anything, he just looked on until they finished.

But then at the end of the debate, I guess you had changed your story on what had happened...

There was nothing that he could do to stop them without causing even more of an uproar, so once they were done he cited them for their actions.

Funny stuff.

I'll have to agree with everyone else.
This isn't about a deer, or natural selection, or anything else of that nature. This is about how 2 people got fined a ridiculous amount of money, for nothing. Their tickets didn't even list a reason. Just that they had to pay $90.

The ticket itself doesn’t check off any specific violation, just a $90 fine.

Who cares about the deer factor? This is american absurdness at it's finest.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
It's all about the money.

The officer saw a chance to earn the system a few extra bucks and took it.

What law did they break? None - No victim = no crime.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeaderOfProgress
Real simple, the deer that lacked the instincts to avoid the ice is supposed to die. It will die due to this lack of instincts. .

I guess you would feel the same way if you saw your neighbor's two year old wander out into the street.
Second.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Isn't that what all citations are about from speeding or anything for that matter. It isn't the fact that you did have a high speed accident, but that you could. It isn't the fact that they did put others at risk but that they could have. The citation is a hopeful reminder of the fact that more thought about consequences needs to put into our actions before we make them.

No, citations are about generating revenue for the state/county/etc... There are many things that a person could do that are illegal yet they have no negative consequences for any one else. driving 60mph in a 55 zone - certainly a cite-able offense, but do you really think 5 mph will make any difference in most situations? It is just an arbitrary # that got posted on a sign. There are people that shouldn't be allowed to dive 35 mph, and others that can safely drive at 85. A 20 year and 360 day old kid drinks a single beer and can be fined/locked up - who is hurt there? Drive across the border to Canada or Mexico and it's perfectly legal. There are many ridiculous things that people can be fined for - just because some politician thought it was a good idea doesn't make it right...

By your logic, everyone on who has ever been issued a citation, the 2 million+ people who are locked up in the US prison system, or anyone else that has made a bad choice in life must have defective genes (Apparently you are an expert on genetics - care to post some info about your degree?), so let natural selection take it's course and whatever bad things come of their actions should just be allowed to play out. Why should natural selection only be applicable to non-humans? Or better yet, lets just sterilize them so that they are not able to spread their defective genes any more.

SOL - don't waste any more time on this guy. He is obviously a very small minority and not worth the trouble. Also, just checked out your website and you've got some cool shirts there - I think I'll have to pick up a few...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns

They are very good natural swimmers, yes, but they do not swim in iced water. How do you reckon he stop them? Pull out a tazer, gun, or pepper spray? That would have made a whole other thread here. I think his actions were spot on. There was nothing that he could do to stop them without causing even more of an uproar, so once they were done he cited them for their actions. I think he did a very well balance action.

I'm afraid I didn't get a deer today. My buddy got an 8 pointer but I guess it was natural selection?

Seriously, you remind me of the type of person who will argue relentlessly regardless of the merits of your argument. Pull your blankie over your feet, grab a cup of hot cocoa and continue spewing mindless tripe. It seems you're quite good at it so I now know this is to be expected of you. You've also made it quite clear that you feel you or someone with a badge has the authority to tell someone whether their choice of action is OK. Most people call that tyranny but I'm sure you justify such beliefs from the warmth of your blankie.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join