It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesting Mother Gunned Down in Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Protesting Mother Gunned Down in Mexico

www.cbsnews.com

(AP) Gunmen killed a mother who had been protesting for three days in front of a governor's office in northern Mexico to demand justice for her slain daughter, authorities said Friday.

Masked men pulled up in a car Thursday night and shot Marisela Escobedo Ortiz in the head in front of the governor's office in Chihuahua city, the capital of the state by the same name, said Jorge Gonzalez
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.latimes.com

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Escobedo was taken by ambulance to a hospital, where she died within minutes.

Escobedo has been campaigning for a conviction in the killing of her daughter, Rubi Frayre Escobedo, whose burned and dismembered body found in August 2008 in Ciudad Juarez, a violent city across the border from El Paso, Texas.

She has staged numerous marches, once wearing no clothes, wrapped only in a banner with her daughter's photograph.

"This struggle is not only for my daughter," Escobedo said then through a megaphone, her voice breaking. "Let's not allow one more young woman to be killed in this city."

This is terrible-
Out of 2600 homicides last year, only 19 people were actually convicted of the crime, due to the "legal" system here, due to their tradition of doing trials, with judges deciding on cases mostly from documents, etc...

In addition, today over 140 inmates escaped from a jail in Mexico.

The reprisal attacks on the family are becoming part of the norm in Mexico, with the ridiculously lax indictment rate.

www.cbsnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Heartbreaking. Being a mother myself, I can only imagine the anguish this mother was experiencing to put herself at risk in these protests. May she find peace with her daughter and these killers rot in hell ...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is terrible. America thinks it needs to be bringing the light of liberty to the other regions of the globe, when we should start in our own hemisphere, right to the south. That probably wouldn't be too profitable though.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I know... myy heart breaks for the family, and for all in Mexico who try to see justice prevail...
This will silence a lot of people, the brazen outrageousness of the attack.

I also couldn't help but think how many of the criminals who escaped would wind up in the US through our "border" in Arizona.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

Id like to know how long before the US or the world decides enough is enough?
This isnt much different than the "blood diamond" controversy that plagued Siera Leonne and Liberia in the late 90s.
Entire towns/villages taken over by cartel members, influencing elections, bribing Govt Officials and foreign diplomats and over 30,000 killed (officially) since the Mexican president declared war on the cartels (unofficially).

Not to mention border lakes (allegedly) being taken over by cartel members and apparently even killing a jet skier a few months or so ago.
At first that story sounded fishy but then the Mexican Lt that was investigating the case was beheaded soon after starting the investigation.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by MGriff
This is terrible. America thinks it needs to be bringing the light of liberty to the other regions of the globe, when we should start in our own hemisphere, right to the south. That probably wouldn't be too profitable though.

We've worked with Mexico to end their corruption for years, the fact of the matter is its kinda hard when the ones they elect into office are the same ones allowing this to continue and are taking kick backs for it.

The Mexican people need to rise up and remove the corruption themselves nothing short of a full scale invasion from the US will do any good.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Animatrix

The U.S. is too busy trying to squash Wikileaks,
keep up hysteria over Iran, and make the citizens into
informants in your local WalMart to care about Mexico
and the "justice" system there.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gakus

We've worked with Mexico to end their corruption for years, the fact of the matter is its kinda hard when the ones they elect into office are the same ones allowing this to continue and are taking kick backs for it.

You mean much like we do here in the US? Only difference is our officials are taking kick backs from Corporations. As heartbreaking as the story is, maybe the US should clean up it's own house before moving into someone else's backyard.

The best thing Mexico could ever do is legalize drugs. It would take the power away from the cartels, but that will never happen because the officials are bought and paid for to maintain the status quo. The best thing a resident in along the boarder could ever do is arm themselves and start taking shots whenever possible and take as many of them with you as possible. It would be a bloodbath, but it's already a bloodbath. There is nothing to lose.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Originally posted by Gakus

You mean much like we do here in the US? Only difference is our officials are taking kick backs from Corporations. As heartbreaking as the story is, maybe the US should clean up it's own house before moving into someone else's backyard.

The best thing Mexico could ever do is legalize drugs. It would take the power away from the cartels, but that will never happen because the officials are bought and paid for to maintain the status quo. The best thing a resident in along the boarder could ever do is arm themselves and start taking shots whenever possible and take as many of them with you as possible. It would be a bloodbath, but it's already a bloodbath. There is nothing to lose.

I'm not arguing with you over this in the least, I agree our officials are just as corrupt if not more so.

However I find it funny that people say we are the "world police" and we shouldn't do this or that, yet advocate for us to do the very thing they moan about us doing in the first place.

I'm all for the legalization of drugs, I don't believe any Government body should have the power to tell a person what they can or cannot place within their own bodies in the privacy of their own homes.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Well, i can personally vouch for the corruption of the Police, at least in Nuevo Progresso.
It used to be a nice city for tourists to go and buy a variety of items fairly cheap but
then every other shop turned into a bar, they added "brothels" and I guess the Police Academy added
a course on how to take advantage of the "stupid gringos" coming across the border.
Its really a shame, i liked visiting that place back in the early 90s.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I always hate to read news articles like this. No wonder many Mexicans are entering the U.S. in record numbers. How long till this becomes an issue to the U.N?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Snickersman

The UN apparently is trying to get their weaselly hands into Internet Control, currently.
That seems to be much more pressing to the elite than the poor people of Mexico.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thegoodearth

Really? I guess what they say about the UN being worthless is true. The United Nations of crocks in the world.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Snickersman

Yes, they are "mulling it over".

And big surprise, this little news story is not being broadcast over the MSM.

netrightdaily.com...

new topics

top topics

join