It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coming Ice Age. (What we can do to prepare, Not the usual babble)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Well,the Op wanted to know what we all can do to prepare.

Since every single response so far has not even answered the OP's original post,I suppose I will.

Buy long underwear.
edit on 17-12-2010 by Oneolddude because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hopefully, a full-blown ice age will not come in our lifetimes but it behooves each of us to get prepared with warm clothing and a heat source. We have a couple of wood stoves. Growing seasons will shorten and food will become scarce so food preservation and storage will be essential.

I think the greatest impact we will see in our lifetimes will be catastrophic food shortages. The best thing anyone can do is get out of a city asap. The country will be the best place to be no matter what comes down. We have plenty of firewood, cows, land to farm and forage. We moved to the country going on 9 years ago (from NYC) and I feel very empowered and free -- pretty much ready for anything!

Just loaded up on alpaca socks

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
reply to post by zeta55

Didn't George W. Bush buy some land in Paraquay a few years ago??? I read that somewhere. Maybe he knows something a lot of us peasants don't?

Canadian Maurice Strong, the Senior World Bank Advisor/Oil Mogul, who started the global warming scare in1972, bought Baca ranch in southern Colorado. It sits on the largest Aquifer in the USA and also sits on oil.

...Notably moister than present conditions occurred across much of the south-west, with open conifer woodlands and scrub common in areas that are now semi-desert.
SOURCE: Reconstruction of North America during last Ice Age: www.esd.ornl.gov...

My big question is why did the elite kill the goose that laid the gold eggs starting in the early 1970s?

If in 1962 the CED (Committee for Economic Development) instituted plans to intentionallly "freed up" excess farm labor to working in their factories, then why less than a decade later, would they instigate government and media policies designed to shut those factories down?

We know they control the media and government so why the Environmental laws that drove business out of the USA and EU? In the USA 24% of labor in 1970 engaged in manufacturing and now it is less than 9%

The Committee for Economic Development in 1962 complained about "the excess of human resources engaged in agriculture"

A report published in 1962 entitled "An Adaptive Program for Agriculture"[3] is even more blunt in its objectives, leading Time Magazine to remark that CED had a plan for fixing the identified problem: "The essential fact to be faced, argues CED, is that with present high levels farm productivity, more labor is involved in agriculture production that the market demands �" in short, there are too may farmers. To solve that problem, CED offers a program with three main prongs."[4]

Some of the report's authors would go on to work in government to implement CED's policy recommendations. Over the next five years, the political and economic establishment ensured the reduction of "excess human resources engaged in agriculture" by two million, or by 1/3 of their previous number....

CED members were influential in business, government, and agricultural colleges, and their outlook shaped both governmental policies and what farmers were taught. Farmers found themselves encouraged to give up on a farming system that employed minimal outsourced inputs and capital and get "efficient" by adopting instead a system that required they go into debt in order to purchase ever more costly inputs, like fossil-fuel based fertilizers, chemicals, seeds, feed grain, and machinery.
www.opednews.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by GirlGenius

...I think the greatest impact we will see in our lifetimes will be catastrophic food shortages. The best thing anyone can do is get out of a city asap. The country will be the best place to be no matter what comes down. We have plenty of firewood, cows, land to farm and forage. We moved to the country going on 9 years ago (from NYC) and I feel very empowered and free -- pretty much ready for anything!...

The catastrophic food shortages are a given. I hope you are aware of the Food Safety Farce

Politically, out best bet is to fight for our freedom to farm. The Ag Cartels just painted a HUGE bullseye on American farming. In another thread on bees and bats a post towards the end mentions Monsanto is going door to door buying up Organic Farms. My Blacksmith reported the Japanese were going door to door buying up Oklahoma Ranchland.

This is very worrying because the average age of American farmers is mid to late fifties. Given the Food Safety Farce coupled with 1099 tax change I am afraid many older farmers will give-up and retire. Why put up with the red tape, hassle from Government Agents and the threat of fines, lawsuits and jail? Especially since Monsanto wrote the bill, controls the FDA and can easily sic the US government on you as well as Blackwater and their Lawyers

My suggestions are:

Fully Informed Jury
The 10th Amendment Movement
Voters Right to Recall
Campaign for Nuclear Power - A FIRST PRIORITY must. See Thorium as the power source and Mini Nuclear Reactors

I am also a Yank who escaped south. Right now I am crossing in Angora and Cashmere so my goat herd is woolly in the winter. Also Cashmere are the most worm resistant goats so I am selecting for that characteristic too. I had hair sheep to start (Black belly Barbado) and I am now crossing in California Variegated Mutant for size and a wooly undercoat. I am looking into St Croix and Gulf Coast Sheep to breed in worm resistance.

Why Sheep and Goats?
Because they are much easier for the novice to handle. A Cow can easily hurt or kill you although they are much lower maintenance. Sheep and Goats are easier to butcher and give you 25 - 50 lbs of meat to deal with instead of hundreds of pounds. Goat meat is very lean so it is especially suitable for jerking (drying) Goats and sheep can be milked and the milk makes good cheese. Goats and sheep also provide fiber for cloth.

If possible a windmill powered water source or at least head for Lehman's non-electric catalog and get the hand pump type shallow well set-up.

A green house and heritage (savable) seeds. Unfortunately Monsanto infiltrated a seed saving group and stole the genetic base to patent recently.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by GirlGenius

For anyone not aware of it Lehman's Non-electric Catalog is a must see. I am sure there are competitors too.

Lehman's has non-electric fridges, stoves, composting toilets...
My old catalog has a picture I absolutely love. It is a mule packing a fridge up a narrow mountain trail.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
if a ice age comes it will be game over for the northern hemiphere... most of eurpope and n america were under a lot of ice... try your survival tactics in antartica to get an idea on how it would be...

game over...

kx

No it wasnt. Where most of the people live today (Europe and N America), not a huge amount of its occupying land would be under ice.

The UK, down to about London, Scandinavia, The Balkens and Canada were under Ice. Mainland Europe was free as was most of the USA.

Link to Evidence
edit on 18/12/10 by jrmcleod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by fasteronfire
reply to post by MaximumTruth

There is no concrete evidence that global warming is causing an ice age, that is a fact.

Another fact is that the earth goes through natural cycles.
How is that so hard to understand?

How did you come to the conclusion that I am advocating that this is an ice age?

What part of "it's called winter" suggests that i think this?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jrmcleod

At the time of the LGM (map of glaciation), approximately 10 million square miles (~ 26 million square kilometers) of the earth was covered by ice. During this time, Iceland was completely covered as was much of the area south of it as far as the British Isles. In addition, northern Europe was covered as far south as Germany and Poland. In North America, all of Canada and portions of the United States were covered by ice sheets as far south as the Missouri and Ohio Rivers.

ok it wasnt completly covered, but a lot was...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join