It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Coming Ice Age. (What we can do to prepare, Not the usual babble)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Hello peeps before I start I would like to clear up a couple of things. Firstly I am not trying to scaremonger I am trying to open a decent discussion about the Ice age we have coming in the near future. Of course there has been plenty of talk about some recent factors that could well contribute to an Ice age in the very near future. Some may be regarding as silly, some may be regarded as obvious and inevitable but there are a couple of things that are not discussed as much here on ATS, such as us being overdue for an Ice age already and also what would be the effects of an Ice age in society.

Firstly I will start off with some of the recent factors that could be considered a strong possibility of causing an Ice age. I am not going to add too much of my opinion to these ones as the main purpose of this thread is to discuss the subjects about the coming Ice age that are not discussed as much here on ATS. I will get to these in a bit, please bare with me.

Some sources are saying that the gulf stream is slowing down, some are saying that it has actually stopped. Some of the sources seem quite reliable and grounded in strong science and others seem a lot less reliable.
Here are some who are saying that the gulf stream slowed down;
The Times
World Climate Report

Here are some sources that dispute the slowing down of the gulf stream;
BBC
Telegraph

Here are some sources that claim the gulf stream has actually stopped;
The Rev Counter
Geralds Celente Centre

Here is an ATS thread that discusses BP being responsible for causing the gulf stream to apparently stall.

Here is an ATS thread discussing how manmade global warming could cause an Ice age soon.

Ok now that we have got that out the way we can get to the the part I really wanted to discuss with you peeps. Feel free to discuss anything I have already posted but if you prefer you could go to the threads already existing on ATS for those subjects. Also if you want to find some more sources related to anything I have said then I advice you search Google, there are plenty of relevant sources available.

Firstly I would like to show you this graph which shows the climate change that has taken place over thousands of years. They get this data from taking Ice core samples from Antarctica. Basically the data depicts the process of global warming and cooling going back thousands of years. If you observe the data you can see that global warming is a natural process that occurs over time. The planet heats up until eventually it cools itself down with an Ice age.

Source.

On observing the data you should also be able too see that in theory, through looking at the earth's natural global warming and cooling processes going back thousands of years that we are due an Ice age soon. Regardless of all the sources I have previously posted and regardless of whether these sources are true or not.

So what I would also like to discuss with you guys and gals here is the following;

- What would be the effects of an Ice age on our current society? For example, how would it effect commerce, travel, business, agricultural, Industry, Government, Law and order and social state. More importantly, how would it effect us at home?

- When could we expect this Ice age to occur if we could predict it at all?

- What would we be able to do to prepare for an Ice age? The country and world as a whole but also at home.

- Anything else any of you would like to discuss about the matter.

In my opinion it is not so much how another Ice age could happen on earth but When and What we could do to prepare ourselves.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for reading,

-TechUnique

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Wouldn't we need to live for at least 500 years to really see an appreciable alteration in the earth's average temperature?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
What does "soon" mean in the context of the coming Ice Age?

Are we talking 1000+ years?

Just give me a time frame to reference my responses to.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Thanks for this post. It was obviously well researched and contained plenty of information about the subject.
Of course no one of significance will admit a coming ice age until we are in the middle of it. The facts are right there for everyone to read. Its natural for the world to change, its also natural to wake up every morning but if we don't want to wake up we can't just stop ourselves from waking...I just don't understand why we are choosing to ignore the facts instead of preparing for what lies ahead. One of the greatt things about the human race is our ability to adapt. IMO we shouldn't look at an ice age as scary or Earth shattering we should look at it like a change and we need to adapt. We can't change what's going to happen so let's roll with the punches.

Once again thanks for this post....sorry about ranting like a loon.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit

Are we talking 1000+ years?

Just give me a time frame to reference my responses to.

Thanks.

Well I meant soon compared to how long Humans have supposedly been on earth for.

How soon till the next Ice age? That is one of the things I was hoping someone come help me understand.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Continuing on the 'it's nature' path. Technically speaking, since your birth and my birth and everyone else's we've been 'entering' an ice age. If it's truly natural (as I believe it is) then every day we are taking another step down the path to an ice age. Using the same logic we are also everyday taking a step down the path to the end of an ice age. I hope that made sense, because it did in my mind unfortunately what happens in there sometimes doesn't come out on here as a intended....oh well : )
Take care everyone.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
if a ice age comes it will be game over for the northern hemiphere... most of eurpope and n america were under a lot of ice... try your survival tactics in antartica to get an idea on how it would be...

game over...

kx

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

What you are saying is true but it's only game over if you give up. No one is saying it would be easy, and I'm sure that there would be an extrodinary loss of life. As a race humans would live on along with many of the other species around the planet. Who knows maybe even new ones would develop.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

What do you think would be the effects of a mini Ice age on the northern hemisphere?

Also, how do you think people could be prepared for it?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Very well put together thread, Sir. Thanks

The graph using data from ice cores is just like a cycle. A period of warm.....then a period of cold. Undeniable evidence in my opinion.

Evidently the Earth tries to balance out It's temperature with the cycles of cold, and warmth. Just like in the Northern. and Southern Hemispheres, there is Winter, and Summer.

Actually I find it absolutely amazing that Our Planet.....Earth....is so finely balanced.....with the Axis Tilt.....the speed of revolution on It's axis......The circling of the Sun at just the right distance, and speed, that life as we know it is possible.

Can you imagine all the possible planetary placements......angles of axis......distance from a sun......speed of revolution..and all the other factors involved with a Planet.......or the Trillions upon Trillions of Planets in the Universe??

It is mind boggling. The Planet we somehow came to be born on / from One little sperm cell...joining with one little egg, to become what we are now.......is just totally incomprehensible.

The odds of such a situation occuring.....must be very, very rare.

Sorry I got side-tracked. I sure hope it is many years in the future when the Age of Ice returns. I prefer warm weather, more so the older I get.

If Canada, and the Bread-Basket of the World....The US become covered in ice.....Probably more than half of the World's population will perish. But on the bright side......The glaciers that covered Canada, and the US...are responsible for all that wonderful deep rich soil that covers the Mid-West, and Praries of Canada. So in a couple hundred thousands years after the glaciers have receded again.......there will be more deep rich soil left behind for anyone left surviving to use. And the Cycle goes on again. Got to look at the bright side of things now and then.

I am not sure how we could really prepare to live in such a climate. The Eskimos seem to have done fairly well surviving the cold. I just don't look forward to eating a lot of Whale Blubber to survive. Forget fresh vegtables and fruit...it would be all meat. Something us gun-loving cowboy Americans would have a great advantage over some other Societies.

Easier to kill a Wooly Mammoth with an assault rifle, then trying to beat one senseless with clubs, and sharp[ened sticks. Sorry.......I just had to do that with all the Gun/Anti Gun threads lately.

I really don't think much of Humanity would survive....even with guns. Going deep underground might be an option to escape the cold, but the problem of finding food still exsists.

Maybe, just maybe the added CO2 being added to the atmosphere by Humans....is helping to delay the inevitable.

I quess we better enjoy life while we can, be prepared for as many disturbances of Society/Climate...possible meteor strikes.....Nuclear War or anything that can just really mess up One's life.......and PRAY!!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

To be honest I don't have an extensive knowledge of global warming and what would happen if we were to have an ice age but I'm guessing it would get really really cold in the Northern Hemisphere....along with the rest of the world.
No reason to give up though, adapt adapt adapt....

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

Most agree the Milankovitch Cycle is set for an Ice Age. For the past 60 years the sun has been unusually strong according to at least two different sources. The sun is now in a funk, even Hathaway at NASA agrees. The aprox. 60 yr ocean cycles (PDO) just turned cool.

My guess is the trigger will be a huge volcanic eruption, while all these other signals are in the cool mode.

How Fast?

Abrupt Climate Change: Should We Be Worried? - Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution

Most of the studies and debates on potential climate change, along with its ecological and economic impacts, have focused on the ongoing buildup of industrial greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and a gradual increase in global temperatures. This line of thinking, however, fails to consider another potentially disruptive climate scenario. It ignores recent and rapidly advancing evidence that Earth’s climate repeatedly has shifted abruptly and dramatically in the past, and is capable of doing so in the future.

Fossil evidence clearly demonstrates that Earth vs climate can shift gears within a decade....

But the concept remains little known and scarcely appreciated in the wider community of scientists, economists, policy makers, and world political and business leaders. Thus, world leaders may be planning for climate scenarios of global warming that are opposite to what might actually occur...

For references and the long explanation see The Ultimate Conspiracy Theory!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by fasteronfire

...I just don't understand why we are choosing to ignore the facts instead of preparing for what lies ahead. One of the great things about the human race is our ability to adapt....

I am of the opinion that world leaders ARE aware that we are facing an Ice age for years and HAVE been preparing. They just do not want the "Great Unwashed" to join them.

Consider: Brazil’s Booming Economy

Consider: Obama sends Gulf jobs to Brazil/Obama's financier Soros' Petrobras drills in the Gulf

Think of the 75% of Mexican farmers removed from their land as Smithfield and friends move in. Think of all the African farms taken over by the Ag Cartel and all the jobs and manufacturing sent to India and Asia.

Now go look at a map and read my Ultimate Conspiracy Theory!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   
SPOILER ALERT:

it's called winter

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by zeta55

...If Canada, and the Bread-Basket of the World....The US become covered in ice.....Probably more than half of the World's population will perish....

Actually it is not quite that bad. The speed (a decade) is the biggest problem. A lot of the USA will be OK. However the lack of water will be the biggest hurdle. (BOY do we need nuclear NOW!)

Here is a really good map and reconstruction of the last Ice Age in North America.
ICE AGE MAP: www.esd.ornl.gov...
Description: www.esd.ornl.gov...

And yes I have thought about this a lot and picked my farm in a non-glaciated area.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by MaximumTruth

SPOILER ALERT:

it's called winter

SPOILER ALERT:
It is called ignoring the evidence.

No wonder the elite are cultivating Spermicidal Corn!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

SPOILER ALERT:

it's called winter

SPOILER ALERT:
It is called ignoring the evidence.

*conspiracy mind control crap*

SPOILER ALERT:

the evidence doesn't exit

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   

There is no concrete evidence that global warming is causing an ice age, that is a fact.

Another fact is that the earth goes through natural cycles.
How is that so hard to understand?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

Thank you so much for the link from Oak Ridge.

Doesn't look so bad for the US...at least 18,000 years ago though. Poor Canada.....sure doesn't look good for our Northern Friends.

Didn't George W. Bush buy some land in Paraquay a few years ago??? I read that somewhere. Maybe he knows something a lot of us peasants don't?

Hell....we are all going to die someday....somehow. I quess preparation of the Soul may be more important than presevation of the body.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Well,the Op wanted to know what we all can do to prepare.

Since every single response so far has not even answered the OP's original post,I suppose I will.

By long underwear.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join