It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WikiLeaks sparks push for tighter controls.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

WikiLeaks sparks push for tighter controls.

www.itnews.com.au

The United Nations is considering whether to set up an inter-governmental working group to harmonise global efforts by policy makers to regulate the internet.

Establishment of such a group has the backing of several countries, spearheaded by Brazil.

At a meeting in New York on Wednesday, representatives from Brazil called for an international body made up of Government representatives that would to attempt to create global standards for policing the internet - specifically in reaction to challenges such as WikiLeaks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Well, its beginning much faster than I originally thought it would. Mission accomplished for Assange and his team of merry followers.

All they needed was a "nudge" and Assange gave it to them.

India, China, Saudi Arabia and South Africa appear to be showing early signs of support for these new measures as well.

The Internet Governance Forum's five year term is about to expire and powers involved are now searching for new alternatives.

Let the debates begin. IMO the UN is useless but there is still authority within its walls.

Will this move serve to kick start similar actions in other countries?

It didn't take long for the gears to get rolling on the issue.

REMEMBER the FCC convenes on Dec 21. to vote on further action regarding Internet regulation here in the states.

www.itnews.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   
A little more on the December 21 FCC vote

Order adoption of the basic rules of the road to preserve the open Internet as a platform for innovation, investment, competition and freedom of expression. These rules protect the interests of consumers and innovators, “the right to know basic information about broadband services, the right to send and receive legitimate Internet traffic, and the right to equal opportunities, while ensuring that providers of broadband Internet access with flexibility reasonably manage their networks.

is likely that the draft is now circulating among the participants, details of which are deeply concerned about both the Consumer and Cable & Wireless providers alike. According to AP , FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski presents its net neutrality proposal in a speech on Wednesday, plans to introduce new legislation to the full vote before the end of the year and before the newly elected Republicans, taking their seats in the House.

Update AP received a copy of the advanced speech Genachowski's. Here are the main points of the FCC:

* Wired provider Broadband will be required to gain access to all subscribers of legal content, applications and services, flexibility in managing network congestion, and spam as long as publicly disclose their approach to network management. broadband providers will also be able to experiment with a specialized network traffic from the specialized services, such as intelligent networks and security systems at home, as long as “public Internet does not hurt.”

* Wireless providers will also be required to disclose network management practices shall be prohibited to block access to websites or competitive application such as mobile VoIP services. However, they have greater flexibility in managing traffic due to restrictions on bandwidth. In other words, wireless networks will continue to be special in the FCC proposal, just not as special as the plan pitched by Google / Verizon (which only requires transparency) in the summer.

* proposal will leave the FCC broadband regulatory framework unchanged lightly regulated ” news service ” and not ” carrier common “Genachowski as he wanted. Another victory for Comcast.

Update 2 New York Times says that the project will allow broadband companies implement prices based on frequency of use, charging customers higher rates for heavy use of data.

techwill.net...

Take special note of Update #2. Usage based pricing!!. The internet is an untapped resource much like California was at the start of the Gold Rush.

I am no expert on what is involved here so hopefully ATS can offer the knowledge of its members on the subject!!
edit on 17-12-2010 by jibeho because: source

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:41 PM
link   
this one wasn't hard to predict.

they basically want to control the contents, the users, etc etc etc
tax you per usage, further monitor and restrain whatever is left of free speech.
make you have a unique id, sort of like your social security number.

but hey it's for our safety eh

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
What's wrong with paying for what you use? sounds like a good model to me.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by aivlas
What's wrong with paying for what you use? sounds like a good model to me.

Excuse me?

I already pay for what I use, it's called an expensive monthly fee, based on logical and competitive prices.

You should be asking a question instead, such as... What does the UN and WikiLeaks controversy have to do with usage pricing? That should wet your noodle. If not, then I can't help you.

Honestly, this is protest/riot worthy. I guarantee widespread revolt will erupt in Europe across the board. London, Moscow, Greece. Everywhere. If an opportunity arises for an American demonstration, I will drop everything here and go. I'm fed up with this crap. This is literally insane.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

if the providers were to offer a pay for what you use package then you could choose to not have a monthly bill.
Pay as you go works extremely well why would this be any different?

A question, how would this stop another wikileaks? you don't think it's got anything to do with rampant cybercrime?
edit on 17-12-2010 by aivlas because: (no reason given)

Update 2 New York Times says that the project will allow broadband companies implement prices based on frequency of use, charging customers higher rates for heavy use of data.

Traffic shaping serves the same purpose now.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

see it like goin to a driver's school to get a driver's license, you will need a license to browse, a license to download, a license to upload, a license to author any material you contribute yourself and own its rights instead of being owned by default by wichever site you do it in, i could go on, if i can think about it, they surelly have too.

and of course like anything that involves a licensing system, one too many infractions
and your license to access the internet is revoked.

with legal consequences on the offline judicial system.

i can picture COPS episodes by 2020:
cyber police running around arresting illegal netizens, netizens browsing under the influence, cyber bullies, cyber sex offenders, hell even your local neighbourhood troll

edit on 17/12/10 by AnotherYOU because: adding cyber insult to cyber injury, soon to be outlawed

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   
This is a step by step procedure and the GOP members in the Senate are ready for a fight regarding what could potentially lie ahead next week

Next week, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is anticipated to try to push through net neutrality regulations in the course of its December 21 meeting. But as a letter released this week by thirty Republican senators makes clear, key members of the legislative branch are having none of it, and will force a confrontation on the Senate floor if the FCC proceeds.

n the letter, according to the Washington Examiner, Sens. John Ensign, R-Nev., Kay Bailey Hutchison, R-Texas, John McCain, R-Ariz., Kit Bond, R-Mo., Judd Gregg, R-N.H., Michael Enzi, R-Wyo., Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., Jim DeMint, R-S.C., James Risch, R-Idaho, Mike Johanns, R-Neb., John Thune, R-S.D., Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga., Roger Wicker, R-Miss., Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn., Robert Bennett, R-Utah, John Barrasso, R-Wyo., Mike Crapo, R-Idaho, Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, Jon Kyl, R-Ariz., John Cornyn, R-Texas, David Vitter, R-La., Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, Tom Coburn, R-Okla., Pat Roberts, R-Kansas, Johnny Isakson, R-Ga., Jim Bunning, R-Ky., Jim Inhofe, R-Okla., Richard Burr, R-N.C., and Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, state that:

[The FCC has] admitted in published statements that the legal justification for imposing these new regulations is questionable and “has a serious risk of failure in court.” It is very clear that Congress has not granted the Commission the specific statutory authority to do what you are proposing. Whether and how the Internet should be regulated is something that America’s elected representatives in Congress, not the Commission, should determine.

This should get interesting

Rep. Fred Upton, who is set to take over the chairmanship of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, which has jurisdiction where net neutrality is concerned, has already signaled his disapproval of the move in a letter to FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, which reads in part:

The FCC does not have authority to regulate the Internet, and pursuing net neutrality through Title I or reclassification is wholly unacceptable. Our new majority will use rigorous oversight, hearings and legislation to fight the FCC’s overt power grab.

As yet, it is unclear whether either letter will force the FCC to reverse course, but in the wake of Senate Republicans having forced Majority Leader Reid’s hand on the omnibus bill, some observers say they remain hopeful.

biggovernment.com...

They claim the FCC does not have the authority. You could say the same thing about the EPA and just look at their successful grab for power over the past couple of years. You can't grant one agency authority while denying another.

The EPA's Shocking Power Grab

This should be a good fight to keep an eye on.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

How would you enforce this mystical internet license exactly? It is impossible. What you can do is put "blocks" in place that will be worked around in less than a week, the upside it will cut down on cybercrime while the workarounds are put in place.

Oh I suggest reading some of the Tocs on a few sites in regard to user submissions, it all depends in the site your on.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Each decade that passes sees our freedoms being curtailed.

I remember when Napster was free and you could get really good cute clean clip art free all over........you can still get many free e-books at 4shared.com but hurry, I'm sure sharing is going to be curtailed too.

I do see the hangman's noose being tightened concerning the net.

And you know why?

The monkies are communicating and starting to wake up.

TPTB don't want that.

Don't blame Assange, grab all the information he has provided and sock it away on many thumb drives before it disappears.

This is just the excuse the elite running the show are using to "tighten the screws'.

Know your enemy, and IMO that enemy is not Julian Assange - it's the corporations in bed with our governments that are the real enemy.

WikiLeaks is just an excuse.

Bullies and tyrants don't like being challenged and will squash any resistence fast and hard - I've seen this game plan in action working in a office.

Can't stress enough, get a lot of thumb drives and start to load the information before it disappears.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4a0cf2b5060f.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 17-12-2010 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This news item has already been posted at www.abovetopsecret.com...

My post there:

You would have to be a complete noob if you think the UN, governments, corporations and general society is not going to debate and consider options with the unexpected fallout wikileaks has caused to many. Sure, most of the people who suffered the worst of it deserve it but there are many implications in this complex world. Just keep your hat on, if you have something sensible to say then get in contact with these organisations. If it look like they are going to go all gestapo on us then it is time to stand up. No plans have been made, no agreements signed, no immediate internet lock down decided. Just a look at the facts and how to navigate through these very delicate issues, as there are many of them.

In relation to the December 21 FCC vote. I support the outline that has been provided, however I do not fully understand what the final point means and what the implications are?

* proposal will leave the FCC broadband regulatory framework unchanged lightly regulated ” news service ” and not ” carrier common “Genachowski as he wanted. Another victory for Comcast.

I am in Australia so I am not up to date on all the FCC stuff. On the surface it does not look too threating. I have not seen the fine print but the overall position looks to be one of preserving internet freedoms. A good day. A Very good one when you add in increased whistle blower protection and publish studies on media integrity also coming through. Looks like wikileaks has provided a good reality check for the world.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

How would you enforce this mystical internet license exactly? It is impossible.

Leave those issues for the legislators who are writting the bills and the beaurocracy right now while you still in doubt and being dismissive about a subject wich is hardly NEW news.

ill give you a tip

it sort of officialy started with this, so maybe you need to lurk a little upon what happened between then and now

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Nice vid, I like the "foreshadowing" of stuxnet but you should try and think of an answer to how they would enforce any rules on the internet, the best they can do is shut it down, second best would be to copy china.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by aivlas

but that's it, that's the plan, they will shut it down.

like they did to WTC

destroy and rebuild, it's how they always operate,
besides offering solutions to the problems they created at first.

"you should never let a good crisis go to waste"

forget this internet, they will just force the main ISPs to shutdown and integrate the new one.

some say internet2(not 2.0) is a prototype.
edit on 17/12/10 by AnotherYOU because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

This internet2

Internet2 provides the U.S. research and education community with a dynamic, innovative and cost-effective hybrid optical and packet network. The network was designed to provide next-generation production services as well as a platform for the development of new networking ideas and protocols. With community control of the fundamental networking infrastructure, the Internet2 Network provides the necessary scalability for member institutions to efficiently provision resources to address bandwidth-intensive requirements of their campuses such as, collaborative applications, distributed research experiments, grid-based data analysis and social networking.

www.internet2.edu...

Sounds good to me.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Sounds good to me.

yeah right on, keep taking everything at face value.
there is alot "in between the lines" of what sounds good to you.

what sounds good to you is called PR management.

Remember this: every form of opression started as what seemed a good idea at the time.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Study the lectures and writings of Cass Sunstein, Obama's regulatory Czar, and you will see how this all seems to be playing out so efficiently and so timely. I am still amazed that this man is actually employed by our President and paid by us.
He is all about transforming the First Amendment as detailed in his book. He thinks its outdated.

“reinvigorate processes of democratic deliberation, by ensuring greater attention to public issues and greater diversity of views.” - Cass Sunstein "Democracy and the Problem of Free Speech"

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Unless they shut down the internet
the people who care will work around what ever they put up, the masses wont give a crap as long as they can use facebook and buy stuff. If the government wanted to it could get any site it wanted blocked already be that by "legal" means or non legal.

top topics

join