It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dec. 17, 1790: AZTEC Accurate Calendar Requires Sacrifice, You Dig? (must see pic)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/14894355e868.jpg[/atsimg]

1790: Workers doing repairs in Mexico City unearth a massive stone bearing ancient symbols. It turns out to be a representation of the Aztec calendar and will eventually become a national treasure.

The disc-shaped stone measured 12 feet in diameter and 3 feet thick. It was covered with pagan symbols. The Spanish had contemptuously buried it underneath the Zocalo, or central plaza of the city, soon after they toppled the Aztec empire in 1521. The new rulers also tore down the pagan grand temple and, at the opposite end of the plaza, built a large cathedral to worship their own deity.

Soon after its 1790 discovery, the 25-ton stone was again ritually subjugated to the new religion, this time by embedding it in the wall of the cathedral’s western tower.
Though the stone carries calendrical and astronomical decoration, it’s now thought that it wasn’t used primarily to keep time, but as an altar for human sacrifice. Mexican anthropologists refer to it as the Cuauhxicalli Eagle Bowl or simply the Sun Stone — for the sun god Tonatuih, whose visage appears at the center.

Based on the earlier Mayan timekeeping, the Aztecs used two different types of year. A ritual calendar of 260 days rotated 20 divine symbols into a “week” with 13 numbered days. After 20 weeks, each sign (associated with a god) had appeared in each of the 13 slots, and the cycle was complete.

Source: www.wired.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c7fb0a172c2c.jpg[/atsimg]
Some additonal info: Aztec calendar stone
www.aztec-history.com...
How the Aztec calendar wheels work
www.aztec-history.com...
This thing looks awesome. I have never heard of it before today.

Looking at it, you can see it was a work of art for someone. I wonder how long it took to make? I also wonder if we in modern day times can really ascertain exactly what these old found things were really for.

It always seems like everything is surrounding the whole human sacrafice theme. Like that is all they did 24/7/365. I guess that is what people like to here about.

Anyway, what a great find for the country and for it's history. I found this pic from a promo thing. Got my attention and the detail is much better on this model the model is holding.
MODERATOR EDIT: There's a lot of other pictures that show better detail. An apparently nude female model holding a replica of the artifact is not considered suitable.
edit on 17-12-2010 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I think the use of the word "pagan" is ridiculous...christians think their religion is unique.
interresting post.
oh and i have a replica of that calendar that i got from teotihuacan some years ago...how could you have never heard of it?
edit on 17/12/2010 by jpsdasnake because: added Info

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jpsdasnake

Buddy, I have lead a sheltered life-apparently. lol

Honesly, I began my oddessy down alternative thinking road with the Pyramids. Never really looked at the other stuff until joining ATS.

Believe me, I'm trying to learn everything in a lot of areas.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Dear Anon72,
Nice story, again another great post. No wonder you're a Gold contributor.

I do have one comment though, that last picture.. my brain is doing this:
Look at the disk.. look at the disk.. look at the.. damn she's pretty.

Lol

Regards,
T

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by torqpoc

Thank you and I am glad you like.... the thread. Keep focused... lol

Whatever it takes to draw attention to the topic is okay with me.

new topics

top topics

join