It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Check out this Roman statue found off coast of Israel- 1,800-2,000 years old.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   
daily mail.uk

A long-lost Roman statue buried for thousands of years has been unearthed by massive winter storms that have lashed the coast of Israel this week. The mysterious white-marble figure of a woman in toga and 'beautifully detailed' sandals was found in the remains of a cliff that crumbled under the force of 60mph winds and enormous 40ft waves. The statue, which lacks a head and arms, is about 4ft tall and weighs 440lbs. It was found at the ancient port of Ashkelon, around 20 miles south of Tel Aviv.

It dates back to the Roman occupation of what was western Judea, between 1,800 and 2,000 years ago. The incredible find, which was discovered by a passer-by, will now be put on display in a museum. 'The sea gave us this amazing statue', researcher Yigal Israeli said. 'The statue fell into the sea when the ancient maritime cliff collapsed'. But the find has been tinged with heartbreak for researchers after the storms destroyed the breakers protecting the Roman-era port of Caesarea, threatening to wash away one of the world's most important historic sites.

Here is where it was found.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
I always love these types of finds, no matter how small. Archaeology has always been an interest of mine. It has fascinated me since I was a child. I wish I could find something like that one day!!
edit on 17-12-2010 by Corruption Exposed because: spelling

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
S & F

Always a good thing when a bit of history is recovered.
Thanks for posting

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Storm In Israel Uncovers Ancient Statue
this_is_who_we_are
posted on 12/14/2010 @ 04:08 PM
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Awesome pics I hadn't seen!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This goes a long way in supporting my theory that humans only evolved heads in the last thousand years or so!

Good find! S+F
edit on 19-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Thank you for replying everyone. Sorry, I never knew it was posted before. I even searched. That is the second time that happens to me now

top topics

join