It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yearly Price Tab for Afghan Forces: $6 Billion, Indefinitely

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Actually, this is a bit of 2 threads in one.

I was reading where the...
Army Set to Award Mega-Contract to Train Afghan Cops

NATO allies still haven’t provided all of the troops they promised to train Afghanistan’s nascent police force. When in doubt, contract it out.

Before the New Year, the Army will finally award a much-delayed $1.6 billion-with-a-b contract for a private security firm to supplement that NATO training command’s efforts to professionalize Afghan cops. That bid touched off a bureaucratic tempest between Blackwater/Xe Services and DynCorp, which held an old contract for the same job, as well as the State Department and the Army.

Ok- great- the same old, same old. I don't see what could possibly go wrong there.

You'd think they would have learned their lesson about these contractors given all that has gone on with them. No doubt we'll see more corruption, more shady deals and more deaths as a result of this deal.

But that $1.6 billion dollar price tag made me think. That is one fat stack of cash. I wonder what the grand total will be?? I looked and I found...

Yearly Price Tab for Afghan Forces: $6 Billion, Indefinitely

..and my jaw pretty much dropped.

Want a good measurement of “NATO’s enduring commitment” to Afghanistan even after combat forces depart? The Afghan soldiers and cops NATO trains to secure the country are going to need $6 billion from international donors every year to keep operating
John Ferrari, the deputy commander for programs at NATO’s training mission, estimates that “sustainment” for the Afghan forces will cost $6 billion annually — at least. In response to a question from Danger Room on a blogger conference call Thursday, Ferrari said that those costs include “fuel, repair parts, salaries, uniforms, individual solider equipment,” as well as $300 to $400 million per year for “capital equipment.” And that’s if the Obama administration and NATO decides early next year that 300,000 soldiers and cops are enough. If not, then NATO will need more cash from Congress to fund the plus-up — and, presumably, sustainment costs will accordingly rise.

To put that number in context, the CIA estimates Afghanistan’s gross domestic product is around $27 billion. Keeping soldiers and police fed, clothed, billeted, armed and equipped, realistically, will be a job for international donors for the foreseeable future.

So that is even if the troops come home on schedule it will still be $6billion yearly, indefinably. Of course, if there is a delay in bringing the troops home - the cost will rise as it currently costs about $9billion a month to keep the troops there.

At this point, I'm actually kind of speechless. It just seems so messed up to keep funding this basically forever.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Ok sorry, I have corrected the post, just over-reacted a little there.

edit on 17-12-2010 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

I didn't see your original reply and judging by the amount of traffic this thread has gotten so far probably nobody else did either.

So, no harm done.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Frogs

Well, is that six billion divided between nato countries or 6 billion from the US? Either way they cant expect never ending money. That's a black hole.

new topics

top topics

join