It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wikileaks' Julian Assange tells of 'smear campaign' (with video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Wikileaks' Julian Assange tells of 'smear campaign' (with video)

www.bbc.co.uk

Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has said attempts to extradite him to Sweden over sexual assault allegations are part of a "smear" campaign.

Mr Assange is staying at a house in Bungay, Suffolk, after being freed on bail by the High Court in London while awaiting extradition proceedings.

He said more information would be published by the whistle-blowing website following his release.

Mr Assange denies the allegations made by Swedish prosecutors.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:40 AM
link   
This is a twelve minute interview with Assange speaking on the allegations against him - stating that there had originally been allegations of rape and of double rape. As I understand it the actual allegations are now that he had unprotected sex.

He also explains that he remained in Sweden for 5 weeks after these allegations were made and that no evidence has been produced. His lawyer in Sweden is also to be gagged.

He remains uncharged - and states that the extradition warrant was for questioning despite him having remained in Sweden and that he believes a number of different organisations/countries are behind the smear campaign. What has happened he states also call into question some of the practices between European states.

He states that he is on one tenth of all references to rape on the net and this has been a successful smear campaign.

'One only needs to look at the sneering smile of defence secretary Gates on hearing of my arrest looking like he had swallowed the canary....'

www.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:31 AM
link   
Thanks for posting (and of course, S & F)

I thought he did a masterful job of making the points he wanted made despite the interviewers attempts to steer the conversation.

Go Julian!
edit on 17-12-2010 by Tholidor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:37 AM
link   
I saw this last night and was very impressed with the way Assange handled himself, it has been an awful smear campaign. Reminds me of the cointelpro used by NIxon against anyone who questioned America's stance in the Vietnam war.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Great interview. It's good to see someone who knows how to deal with these propagandists....oops, presenters!
second

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Slightly off topic, but I can imagine that any and all internet activity in and out of the place he will be staying is going to be monitored to the hilt. His life will be akin to being in a fish bowl or under a microscope. If he puts a finger wrong he will be in for it. Even if he doesn't they will probably try and pin him with more stuff just to get him into US hands.

The fact that he's also got the public spotlight on him may afford him some protection -- at least until the new season of American Idol starts.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

I think the spotlight is affording him protection. Had he remained anonymous to the masses I think he'd probably be dead already.

The nature of the net is such that should anything suspicious happen to him (he is, after all, a healthy young man) another will rise to take his place. A Pandora's Box has been opened - but personally I'd rather know than not know.

top topics

join