It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Atheist Arrogant

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Also, I didn't edit my response after your response. I only just now read your response, many hours later. I posted only on your thread then logged off to go out for the day. Perhaps I should have not commented at all because you seem to not even be taking this topic seriously.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ
Einstein was an atheist, whether you like it or not, because he didn't believe in a god

I am afraid you are taking Einsteins quote out of context...

Try reading... Einstein: The Life and Times to have a better conception of where he is coming from.

I believe he acknowledges God just by making the quote... not to mention wrapping up his views on evolution in the same sentence.

Very smart man he was, much respect !

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Double Post:
edit on 12/19/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact

Einstein was an atheist, whether you like it or not, because he didn't believe in a god

I am afraid you are taking Einsteins quote out of context...

Try reading... Einstein: The Life and Times to have a better conception of where he is coming from.

I believe he acknowledges God just by making the quote... not to mention wrapping up his views on evolution in the same sentence.

Very smart man he was, much respect !

I have read it. You are taking in out of context, not me. Einstein did NOT believe in the Judeo-Christian god anymore than he believed in the greek or egyptian gods. You are applying his quote to the god of the Bible, which is not what Einstein meant AT ALL.
edit on 12/19/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

That's just it, Atheist with their self proclaimed 'facts' and thievery !

Einstein by definition was this or that...

Can someone post the link to where Einstein admits this supposed fact for himself ?

without burying this question and short and sweetly...

thanks in advance

Sure, here you go. To YOU, and as he says, to a Jesuit priest, he was an atheist.

I received your letter of June 10th. I have never talked to a Jesuit priest in my life and I am astonished by the audacity to tell such lies about me. From the viewpoint of a Jesuit priest I am, of course, and have always been an atheist. - Albert Einstein,

letter to Guy H. Raner Jr, July 2, 1945, responding to a rumor that a Jesuit priest had caused Einstein to convert from atheism; quoted by Michael R. Gilmore in Skeptic, Vol. 5, No. 2

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Through the reading of popular scientific books I soon reached the conviction that much in the stories of the Bible could not be true. -Einstein

He was an atheist to the Bible.

The bigotry of the nonbeliever is for me nearly as funny as the bigotry of the believer. - Albert Einstein, quoted in: Einstein's God - Albert Einstein's Quest as a Scientist and as a Jew to Replace a Forsaken God (1997)

Einstein would have agreed with me, that a gnostic atheist and a gnostic theist are both equally bigots. Or equally arrogant, as you say.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   

The word god is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this. -- Albert Einstein,

in a letter responding to philosopher Eric Gutkind, who had sent him a copy of his book Choose Life: The Biblical Call to Revolt; quoted from James Randerson, "Childish Superstition: Einstein's Letter Makes View of Religion Relatively Clear: Scientist's Reply to Sell for up to £8,000, and Stoke Debate over His Beliefs" The Guardian, (13 May 2008)

Once again, he did not believe in the god of the Bible.

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotisms. -- Albert Einstein,

obituary in New York Times, 19 April 1955, quoted from James A Haught, "Breaking the Last Taboo" (1996)

Again, not believing in the bible.

It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously.- Einstein

Do I have to keep going?

I cannot conceive of a personal God who would directly influence the actions of individuals, or would directly sit in judgment on creatures of his own creation. -Einstein

"Both deism and traditional Judeo-Christian-Islamic theism must also be contrasted with pantheism, the notion attributed to Baruch Spinoza (d. 1677) that the deity is associated with the order of nature or the universe itself. This also crudely summarizes the Hindu view and that of many indigenous religions around the world. When modern scientists such as Einstein and Stephen Hawking mention 'God' in their writings, this is what they seem to mean: that God is Nature." -- Victor J Stenger, Has Science Found God? (2001), chapter 3

As I said, Einstein's mention of "god" was nature and science itself. What he meant in your quote is that "Nature does not play dice with the universe." It has order, and that order of nature was Einstein's idea of "god". So regardless of if you say he believed in nature as god, he was still atheistic towards the bible and the god of the bible.

Conclusion here: Einstein was atheistic towards Christianity, the bible, the god of the bible, and to creation.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
ok J I tell you what...

I will ask him when I see him, how do I know I will see him you may ask ?

because I "believe" I will...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Can someone post the link to where Einstein admits this supposed fact for himself ?

thanks in advance

"Some you Win, Some you Lose" - Album (Thieving from the House of God)

least these guys are proud enough to admit it, heck they even sing about it !

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Here's some more, just in case.

“The idea of a personal God is quite alien to me and seems even naive.”

“I cannot accept any concept of God based on the fear of life or the fear of death or blind faith. I cannot prove to you that there is no personal God, but if I were to speak of him I would be a liar.”

“It is quite possible that we can do greater things than Jesus, for what is written in the Bible about him is poetically embellished.”

With these things, you could say Einstein was theistic towards nature and science, but he was still an atheist to the bible. I could be equally called a theist in terms of nature. My views are very similar to Einstein's, yet I too am atheistic towards any known religious doctrine, such as the bible and Christianity. Whether or not I am an atheist total, I am still an atheist towards the bible and creation. Einstein was an atheist to organized religion, as am I. It doesn't mean I don't hold my own personal concept of "god".

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

thanks in advance

How did I bury it? Don't read my posts then, but answer me this, did Einstein believe in Christianity or the bible? Because the answer is no he did not, he said it himself many, many times, that is why I put so many quotes.
Einstein was an atheist to your beliefs. I am not thieving anything. I am not stretching any thing, I am not taking any words out of context.

HE DID NOT BELIEVE IN THE CHRISTIAN BIBLE, OR BIBLICAL CREATION, OR PERSONAL GODS = ATHEIST TO THOSE BELIEFS.

Einstein was an atheist to Christianity, just as much as I am an atheist to santa claus or the tooth fairy!!!!! Your god to Einstein was the tooth fairy.

I am going to bed now. Goodnight.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

I would love to discuss the major contradictions this video makes, any takers ?

I guess the Atheists missed that or maybe they didn't because their thought patterns go in a loopy-loop just as this video here does.

discuss...

I would say she is dead on...whats the question?
Were you not able to follow along or something?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

yes a 'personal' God... God belongs to all mankind and humanity...

“I cannot accept any concept of God based on the fear of life or the fear of death or blind faith. I cannot prove to you that there is no personal God, but if I were to speak of him I would be a liar.”

again he uses the word "personal"

“It is quite possible that we can do greater things than Jesus, for what is written in the Bible about him is poetically embellished.”

we can be like the son of God but we can not be God, we may even do greater things than Jesus and they will write even greater stories about us.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Cosmic, are you a Christian? If yes, then Einstein is atheistic towards your views, because Christianity's god is a "personal god".

The Christian God is a personal God. This does not mean that God is a human being, but that God has "personality" and the capability of both relationships with other personal beings. This is seen clearly in both the Old and New Testaments, in which God is described in strongly personal terms (father, shepherd, etc.) and establishes relationships with human beings. In this belief, Christianity is like Judaism and Islam but very different from deism or the theism of Greek philosophy. In the latter systems, God is an impersonal force that causes the world to exist but does not interact with it.

ReligionFacts Website on Christianity

You respect Einstein because he was agnostic and therefore bore no arrogance towards you, he did not seek to disprove your god, that does not mean he believed in your god. However, he still did not believe what you believe, making him an atheist to you. Yet you still agree with him, so the answer to your OP question is that NO, NOT ALL ATHEISTS ARE ARROGANT.

Okay now, hopefully, I might be going to bed.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I need to post one more time, I must be an arrogant atheist!!!

Christian theology is concerned not only with the existence of God in general, but also with the relationship that exists between God and us, and particularly with the redemption of all people. While Humanists declare in the Humanist Manifesto II that no God can save us—”we must save ourselves”—Christian theism echoes Thomas, who referred to Jesus as “My Lord and My God” (John 20:28), and Peter, who said to Jesus, “You alone have the words of eternal life” (John 6:68). God, as revealed throughout the Bible and especially in the person of Christ, is clearly knowable and desires to be known.

To say that God is knowable is also to say that God “relates” or has personality—that He is “personal.” God’s self-awareness, His emotions, and His self-determining will make up the core of His divine personality. The Bible is emphatic in describing God as a person aware of Himself. In Isaiah 44:6, God says, “I am the first and I am the last, and there is no God besides me.” In Exodus 3:14, God says to Moses, “I Am Who I Am.”

Besides possessing a sense of self-awareness, the God of the Bible (like people) has sensibilities. At times God is portrayed as being sorrowful (Genesis 6:6), angry (Deuteronomy 1:37), compassionate (Psalm 111:4), jealous (Exodus 20:5), and able to show satisfaction (Genesis 1:4). Theologians do not feel that such scriptures suggest that God is limited, but rather that God is willing to reveal Himself in an anthropomorphic, personal way to us.

Christian Theology Website

Christianity = Personal God

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

I was born a Christian yes, I believe in God of the Bible... he is not my personal God because I do not own him, in fact he owns me ! and what Jesus had to say about him belongs to the world.

even the naysayers in this thread

gotta love Metal though, it's a revelation in itself...

I'll ask Einie when I see him, you guys can have him for now.

End Transmission:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Given that you mad this statement in another post...

Atheist have no vision.

...I'm pretty sure believers can be just as arrogant as people who don't believe in a god we have no proof even exists

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 10:15 PM
link   

yes a 'personal' God... God belongs to all mankind and humanity...

again he uses the word "personal"

we can be like the son of God but we can not be God, we may even do greater things than Jesus and they will write even greater stories about us.

Personal as in: you pray and believe he/she/it listens...so yeah, Einstein DEFINITELY didn't believe in a judeo-Christian god.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Whether he was or wasn't an atheist is irrelevant, I could care less about his personal beliefs just as I could care less that Newton believed in Alchemy.

Its already been explained to you numerous times that atheism is not closed-minded because agnostic-atheism still provides for the possibility of a God existing and most atheists are also agnostics. You have refused to accept this idea merely because the fact doesn't sit well with your premise, that atheists are all arrogant closed-minded fools.

So far you've provided no evidence and have merely done your best to give everyone the run around playing word games, dismissing quotes from Einstein that don't fit your preferred viewpoint and and making the baseless and genuinely false assertion that somehow an atheist cannot be an agnostic. You've also accused atheists of being thieves yet I've seen nothing to back this up.

If you wanted you could have accused atheists of being arrogant without forming it as a question, since you obviously had your mind made up before this thread even began.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrXYZ
Given that you mad this statement in another post...

Atheist have no vision.

...I'm pretty sure believers can be just as arrogant as people who don't believe in a god we have no proof even exists

Love exists take a look sometime in public, so hypocritical of the atheists because even they have Love and Marriage ect...

new topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join