It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Atheist Arrogant

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

I only bring up the issue on the internet, most people tend not to like talking about personal religious convictions in their lives. Hell, I don't particularly enjoy talking about it in my day-to-day life. Sure, I don't believe in any deity. So what of it? Let's keep doing whatever thing we were doing prior to that distraction.

The main reason I'm even discussing theism on the internet right now is stupid threads like this one. I'm more interested in getting rid of anti-science idiocy like creationism, geocentrism, flat-Earthism, etc.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
This topic is a response to a topic made in the (Origins & Creation) section, it was made by an Atheist "madnessinmysoul"

...so you're finally admitting that you have a bizarre obsession with me.

Well, here's the crazy thing...I've never really posted anything about theism in that forum. I post about evolution and creationism. But I never bring up religion as evolution, like all science, is something that can be accepted by anyone of any religious view.

This topic is a beacon of light for those who can not see (the blind) and for those without vision... Insects are attracted to light btw for another little pointer and so are fish...

No, this topic is a beacon of blind bigotry with ridiculous claims pointed at a group of people. Thankfully these claims aren't too damaging as they're immaterial and vanish quickly upon inspection.

This topic is also made to address the arrogance that confused people may have about atheism in general (I guess me being one of those people)

What arrogance? I've asked this repeatedly, demonstrate the arrogance of atheists.
Demonstrate that we're heroin addicts
Demonstrate that we have sub-85 IQs
Demonstrate any of your bigoted claims!

This topic is to address facts about Atheism

I'm sorry to split your sentence up (though I'm splitting it up by clause as to prevent the loss of meaning, yay knowledge of English grammar).

Anyway, I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to address something: You've provided not a single fact of any sort pertaining to atheists or atheism. The only information you're putting forth in this thread is your own unabashed bigotry spewing forth like so much excrement from a dysenteric swine.

and discuss why the majority perceive it as total self-centered arrogance

You've not provided any evidence that the majority perceives it as self-centered arrogance either.

and why Atheism is almost militant in its doctrine to others.

You've provided no evidence of atheism being militant. I mean, it's a single lack of belief.

Of course, I'm not expecting a proper reply, I'm not expecting any proper citation of any claims, I'm not excepting anything resembling reason.

Why?
Because I've already realized that you're a bigot. You're the sort of person that cannot be reasoned with. You have an agenda against a group of people that isn't founded in any sort of facts or reason.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:26 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

mkay sfx, He could have made his own points instead of stealing or addressing me...

Atheists are theives ! and I do not wish to discuss only to oppose the posters flawed logic.

It's all just in response, madness can take his arguments somewhere else or to somebody else...

you maybe even ? you two do speak a very similar language, and I know that language too

edit on 12/19/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

mkay sfx, He could have made his own points instead of stealing or addressing me...

Atheists are theives ! and I do not wish to discuss only to oppose the the poster.

It's all just in response, madness can take his arguments somewhere else to to somebody else...

you maybe even ? you two do speak a very similar language, and I know that language too

Thanks...I sort of admire the research madness has done into origins. My own research has been somewhat reduced overall.
I am not really sure why you have issues with madness. I have watched his thread, he is rarely, if ever confrontational towards people but rather just lays out what the understood facts are and answers questions. You can decide to not like the answers, but you seem to judge the person (messenger) at the same time.

Is it arrogant for a book to give an answer to a question? is a calculator rude or arrogant when it gives you the number to the question you had?

and yes...madness and I speak english and favor science over superstition..I guess that is bound to have similar tones. (assuming madness speaks english as his first language anyhow). however, I have no fetish over him like you seem to. I see him as clever and respectful. I see you flounder alot and answer everything emotionally...I am wondering if you can actually give some responses where you leave your emotional reactions at the door and simply discuss things based on fact and reality..or is everything to be character assassination overall?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   

ok folks... the topic once again is (Are Atheist Arrogant)

this topic is not about me and my fan base of stalkers it is about addressing a question about Atheism.

you can start small if you like, I do not mind one-liners as long as they are about the topic and not about posters.

Anyone not wishing to make additions to this topic please just overlook it when you enter the section.

Thank You

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   

ok folks... the topic once again is (Are Atheist Arrogant)

this topic is not about me and my fan base of stalkers it is about addressing a question about Atheism.

arrogant (ˈærəɡənt)

— adj
having or showing an exaggerated opinion of one's own importance, merit, ability, etc; conceited; overbearingly proud: an arrogant teacher ; an arrogant assumption

just felt like slapping that bit of irony down.

Atheists have no self importance as a rule..its a system of how to accept something as real verses not real.
Atheists have people with very low self esteem, to some with near narcissistic personality disorders and everything in between.

Religious people tend to have a personal deity..which gives them a sense of self importance..like their life somehow matters and is important to the cosmos.

By definition, which group shows more potential for arrogance.

Are theists arrogant? no..there are some of course..and they are the loud lot, but I am not one to paint an entire group with a broad brush, as it is a pretty simplistic, bigoted, and stupid thing to do.

wouldn't you agree?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by jheated5
reply to post by spy66

How does the Big Bang theory make less sense than the creation myth, I am not calling Genesis a theory because it doesn't fall into the definition of theory..... On the other hand we have somewhat tested the theory of the Big Bang and are able to recreate it, so what exactly doesn't make sense about the BB again
'

You cant call Genesis chapter 1 a theory because you dont understand Genesis plain and simple.

We can not re crate the Big Bang ever dude. We can speed up some atoms to collide in a machine that's it. It is probably more useful to find new and improved sources for weapons then how to create mater.
edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   

try being original and formulate your own opinions.

Now you're just exhibiting troll-like behavior. davespanners quoted one of YOUR posts about Einstein claiming that Einstein didn't like atheists and refuted that claim by posting ACTUAL EINSTEIN quotes. You can't pretend that this is being unoriginal, he's quoting Einstein in order to defeat the unsupported assertions that you made. I fail to see why YOU can bring up Einstein in this discussion but you instantly dismiss davespanners when he directly quotes the man.

And yet WE are the arrogant ones

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
YOUR posts about Einstein claiming that Einstein didn't like atheists and refuted that claim by posting ACTUAL EINSTEIN quotes.

Einstein did not like atheists and it is right there in his quotes for all to see...

Einstein was not an atheist and chose not to roll with that militant clan, yet there are dozens of comments he did make about God.

such as "God does not play dice with the Universe"

even in this quote he shoots down Atheistic evolutionist claims that we are some random occurrence...

try actually 'thinking outside the box' when dealing in Einstein and his quotes, some may get a big surprise.

(Atheists are closed-minded)

I am not an Atheist !

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Einstein on atheism:

I was barked at by numerous dogs who are earning their food guarding ignorance and superstition for the benefit of those who profit from it. Then there are the fanatical atheists whose intolerance is of the same kind as the intolerance of the religious fanatics and comes from the same source. They are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who—in their grudge against the traditional "opium of the people"—cannot bear the music of the spheres. The Wonder of nature does not become smaller because one cannot measure it by the standards of human moral and human aims.

Einstein was a soft atheist...actually a purist atheist whom found the whole topic and the sides to be beneath him.
He seen the people whom were rabidly anti-santa equally as ridiculous as people pro-santa...both sides arguingly about something that the anti's should simply not even bother commenting on if they truely didn't believe or care much.

He relates the fantatical hard athiests as slaves whom have tossed off their chains, but still feel the weight of them after the fact. This means that even though they are free of religion, they are still bound by it out of psychological intent.

I would venture to say, if he was alive today...he would not be participating in any theist v atheist threads overall because its a childish game that does not relate to him...and therefore in that respect, I don't think either side can claim him as his own...because truth is...he didn't like either side of the coin very much.

But yes, Einstein was a soft atheist, whom also believed there could be a fantastic order in the universe..just nothing personal or caring..order in the universe? maybe..who knows. the entire universal sphere may be a simple proton in the grand structure of things.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I would love to discuss the major contradictions this video makes, any takers ?

I guess the Atheists missed that or maybe they didn't because their thought patterns go in a loopy-loop just as this video here does.

discuss...

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Is bread tasty? Are pink fish ugly? Do dogs bark when annoyed? Are Atheist arrogant?

Certainly, some atheist can be arrogant; mostly when overconfident in their knowledge of science or merely because they are extremists who have already deceided to view the followers of a god as foolish people that believe in fairytails. But is it not the sin of all humans to fall from grace and be arrogant? Certainly all who believe in the story of Kain and Abel know what arrogance can lead to, but perhaps more important, that all humans have arrogance within them. We have all been arrogant in our lives at least once and he who says that he hasn't has proven only that he was it at least twice.

Regardless, I bet there aree as many arrogant atheists as there are arrogant theist. I am certain of cashing in my profit whit that bet. Arrogance is after all such a human trade, in fact I think it is one of the trades that defines us as humans. It seperates us from all other life on the big blue marble of water and mud. Arrogance, envy, hate they all flow back to this feeling of love and the fear of losing it. Is not a man arragant because he is overly in love with his ideal? Is a man not fearful of being wrong proven in his most sacret and beloved center of believe? Would one not want to protect the very foundation of once life against all risc, no matter how one would look in the eyes of the greater others?

I proclaim right here and now, that I am the most arrogant person here on this forum and in fact on this planet. For I have watched soceity and loathed it and its careless and recless love for all that is. I hated those who believed and those who did not believe, I hated them because I have always loved my own believe. I still do and by the grandure of all that my believe is, I will stand and abide by it till the days have ran out for me and the dices show only skulls. And perhaps even then, even after skulls have rolled, will I continue to abide and hate all those that believe others. A hate that burns like a thousend suns, fueled by the careless shedding of the love that others feel for their views. For how can they love their believe, when they can not understand why they love it? How can one fight other thinkers when one does not understand the true nature of once own failing flesh and wisdom of mind?

I looked from afar at the human soceity; I looked and grew ever more certain that it did not held the nature of believe that was mine to be. I set out to invent my own wheel, regardless whether someone else had invented it before; I cared not for even if your own invention turns out to be invented before, it is still your own invention. I rejected the question 'Does god exist or not?'
I rejected the question because I did not deem the awnser important. I rejected it because I believe that power is merely a point of view. I rejected it because good and evil are merely points of views. But more over; I rejected it because I believed in absolute spiritual equality. In a world where all spirits are absolute equal, the existance of god is not important; everything will be equal regardless of god. For god merely is an equal chain in a chain of equals. And I will uphold my faith in my own path till the end of days even if it would mean my own damnation; my arrogance is that big.
edit on 19-12-2010 by AncientShade because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   

There are no major contradictions in this video. It's actually concisely stated and clearly put without a single contradiction made. It's also put forth by an atheist who doesn't seem to have a bone through her nose. I guess she must not be an atheist. Is that the contradiction you're talking about?

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
...so you're finally admitting that you have a bizarre obsession with me.

I will address you on this... since I just now added you to my rivals list.

For the second time in three days!

Who is following who around ?

Well, I'm not following anyone. You just happened to post in the two forums I frequent most. The only thread of yours I've posted in outside of those forums was in a forum I take a peek at every week or so.

if you do not mind please stop stalking me,

...I'm not stalking you, I'm just seeing you spewing out hate speech and decided to counter it with truth and reason and evidence and...and..puppies!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/073a82b1ed47.jpg[/atsimg]

These puppies? They're atheists.

take your militant doctrine

Oh, I must really, really, really not believe in a deity!

How is not believing in a deity militant?

and kindly stop trying to derail every single one of my threads,

So "opposing the bigotry of a user" is now defined as "derailing a thread". You're spewing bigotry, I'm against it. Hell, even if it wasn't bigotry I'm just against the general premise of the thread. You don't get carte blanche (look, I used French words!) to just have an open forum to trash people you disagree with or just have an echo chamber for people to reinforce your views. This is a public website, people are bound to disagree with you, toughen up.

you began following me soon as I posted in the BB&Q section... I have just figured out how to see people post history not long ago.

...I didn't follow you. I stopped by BB&Q to see if a question could get answered, saw a thread title that interested me and it happened to be hypocrisy. You just also happen to post in the two forums I most frequent...so I'm not really following you around, you just started shouting out really bigoted things against atheists in one place I go to a lot, so I decided to politely talk to you back. You also happened to start some stupid threads in O&C, the forum I most frequent hands down. So again, you're sort of just popping up in the places I'm normally found.

I wonder how many people and potential customers you drive away from this site with your militant Atheism ?

Wow, that's just an idiotic personal attack. How is my not believing in god so militant? Is it because I actually try to be nice and cordial with theists? Is it my general devotion to getting along with people who disagree with me despite our disagreements?

God (or TPTB) please make an "ignore post by this user button"

Yep, the typical alternative to actually addressing reasoned arguments from people who bring up good points tends to be universal among bigots and it goes something like this:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/05d308c0e96d.jpg[/atsimg]

You never have anything to say in response to any of the points I make anyway. Hell, I don't respond because of you, I respond because of all the people who might get fooled by your ridiculous bigotry.

But what do I know? I'm just an arrogant, ugly, teenage, tattoo'd heroin-addicted evildoer with an IQ below 85 with a bone in his nose, isn't that right?

You know...let's see.
All eight of those things happen to be incorrect. Though I do guess my attractiveness is up for debate, but I'm doing some modelling work soon...soo......

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Someone must be ignoring my posts.

YOUR posts about Einstein claiming that Einstein didn't like atheists and refuted that claim by posting ACTUAL EINSTEIN quotes.

Einstein did not like atheists and it is right there in his quotes for all to see...

Einstein didn't mind atheists in general, he just didn't like 'professional atheists'. I'm guessing that would include people like Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins, though I'm sure he'd have actually had a spirited discussion with them instead of defaming them with random claims.

Einstein was not an atheist and chose not to roll with that militant clan, yet there are dozens of comments he did make about God.

Einstein was an atheist. He, like many physicists, used 'God' as a metaphor in his speech.

even in this quote he shoots down Atheistic evolutionist claims that we are some random occurrence...

You're really not listening. I told you already that this was with regard to quantum mechanics and his personal opinion on it. In fact, it was a point of contention between himself and Sir Arthur Eddington.

try actually 'thinking outside the box' when dealing in Einstein and his quotes, some may get a big surprise.

(Atheists are closed-minded)

Ah, that's another piece of defamation to add to the pile of bigotry.

I am not an Atheist !

Well, you're an atheist with respect to Allah, Odin, Mithra, Vishnu, Kali, Amaterasu, Susanoo, Poseidon, Ba'al, Horus, etc etc.
You happen to believe in one deity, but you reject a hell of a lot more than one to do so.

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Cosmic, I'm afraid you are taking this quote out of context, and it is a common misconception. When you take it out of context it sounds totally different. Einstein was an atheist, whether you like it or not, because he didn't believe in a god. He believed that nature itself had been designed by something higher, just like I do, but I still don't believe in god, not as you define it. He did not believe in a Judeo-Christian god. But he also did not claim to have any proof disproving a god/gods. His "god" was physics and nature.

The quote you are quoting is Einstein saying that he cannot believe in a Judeo-Christian type of god, or any other personal god that people believe directly interferes with human life, that is what he means by playing dice with the universe, he calls creation a childlike idea, but acknowledged that he believed the universe had been designed somehow. That doesn't mean he thought god directly designed us for some other purpose, which means he didn't believe in creation as you define creation. Hawking also uses the word god quite a bit, but it never means a Judeo-Christian god, he is simply referring to the universe and natural laws as "god". Many scientists do this.

"""I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings.""" Upon being asked if he believed in God by Rabbi Herbert Goldstein of the Institutional Synagogue, New York, April 24, 1921, Einstein: The Life and Times, Ronald W. Clark, Page 502.

"""It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly."" If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it." - Albert Einstein in Albert Einstein: The Human Side

"""I do not believe in the God of theology who rewards good and punishes evil. My God created laws that take care of that. His universe is not ruled by wishful thinking, but by immutable laws."""

""there is some kind of intelligence working its way through nature. But it is certainly not a conventional Christian or Judaic religious view."""

MSNBC Einstein letter calls Bible "pretty childish"

Please don't say I'm off topic. You used Einstein in your OP. I am trying to show you that because you do not find Einstein arrogant, who rejected creation, the bible, and Judeo-Christianity, that you can't possibly think all atheists are arrogant.

What you have a problem with is gnostic atheists, atheists who claim to know for sure there is no god, those who wish to prove you wrong. You see what I'm saying? I am an atheist but I don't claim that you are wrong, all I claim is that I do not believe in any of the gods that any religion as of this time.

It isn't very productive to make blanket statements and it just promotes more unrest on these topics for atheists and theists alike.

Even if you argue Einstein held some grander belief of the universe, making him not atheist, he was still an atheist TO your god, if you are Jewish or Christian or anything else related with a "personal god".
edit on 12/19/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ
So what more could you be getting at with this question/post???

since you edited your response to tailor-fit my reply I will respond to this part of your edit...

This topic is a response to a topic made in the (Origins & Creation) section, it was made by an Atheist "madnessinmysoul"

This topic is a beacon of light for those who can not see (the blind) and for those without vision... Insects are attracted to light btw for another little pointer and so are fish...

This topic is also made to address the arrogance that Atheists convey to others, or that others may perceive about atheism in general (I guess me being one of those people) I am wondering why Atheists come off a super arrogant

This topic is to address facts about Atheism and discuss why the majority perceive it as total self-centered arrogance and why Atheism is almost militant in its doctrine to others.

edit on 12/19/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

How can a lack of belief possibly be militant in its doctrine. It has NO doctrine. You are very misinformed on both atheism and agnosticism and are using them both inaccurately. What do you not understand about the fact that theism and atheism define a belief or not believing, which is a separate descriptor from aspects of knowledge. You can have a belief or lack of belief and also have a degree of knowledge or lack of knowledge, pertaining to those beliefs.

Agnostic means not knowing, gnostic means knowing. If you claim to KNOW there is a god, then you are a gnostic. I claim to NOT KNOW if there is a god, so I am agnostic. I do not believe in god, so I am an atheist. You believe in god so you are a theist. If you claim to know AND believe, then you are a gnostic theist, just as I am an agnostic atheist.

Either you live in a parallel dimension with their own dictionaries, or you are wrong. You can't say two words can't be compatible JUST because you feel they shouldn't be. If you do, well then aren't you the arrogant one?

Are you messing with us, or are you serious? Because I find it hard to believe someone could be so confused at mere words...? I took you as smarter than that. I think you are but you must be purposely trying to get a rise out of us. That's not very nice. Neither is it nice for an atheist to act the same towards someone who believes in god.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join