<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
and of course you have to love dictionary dot com

dog·mat·ic - Spelled [dawg-mat-ik]

–adjective

1. of, pertaining to, or of the nature of a dogma or dogmas; doctrinal.

2. asserting opinions in a doctrinaire or arrogant manner; opinionated.

edit on 12/18/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

So the answer to your question is no, atheists aren't arrogant as a whole. If you were more specific then maybe you could support your argument better here (senses another thread coming). Can an atheist be arrogant? Yes, anyone can be arrogant for various reasons, does this make all atheists arrogant? Of course not. That's just silly. Everyone who is saying you can be an agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist are right.

What I meant by maybe you'd have a better argument was, you could say that extremely strong atheists may have a tendency to be arrogant just like extremely strong theists do. It still doesn't really make any sort of point though.

I mean personally I think that claiming to know for a 100% fact that there could not possibly be a god or god-like entity, is arrogant, because there's just no way possible to say that for sure. So in that sense I might say that an agnostic atheist can't possibly be called arrogant for their position, which means that not all atheists are arrogant. Anyone can be arrogant about anything, it doesn't make the whole entire grouping arrogant.

An atheist denying the possibility of there being a god is equally as arrogant as a theist denying the possibility that there's no god.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
I posted a link, you've offered no logical rebuttal

please see my last two posts about established fact.

Next...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

There are other sources that explain it other than wikipedia you know. Wikipedia is a good source but isn't always accurate.

I assure you that atheism and agnosticism are compatible. Atheism regards belief while agnosticism knowledge.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   

There are other sources that explain it other than wikipedia you know. Wikipedia is a good source but isn't always accurate.

I assure you that atheism and agnosticism are compatible. Atheism regards belief while agnosticism knowledge.

True. You don't even need a page to support this! It's simply semiotics. OP look up the two terms in whatever dictionary you choose, and also look up theist, and tell me how agnostic cannot be applied to either?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
"Or" implies, that there are two types of atheists, those who deny which would be claiming to know for sure in my eyes, and those who disbelieve. Those who disbelieve would be called agnostic atheists. Those who deny would only be atheists, not agnostic atheists. But you can't simply say all atheists are arrogant, because agnostic atheists are still atheists, yet they do not claim superior knowledge.

a·the·ist [ey-thee-ist] Show IPA –noun a person who denies OR disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.

Dictionary

In the same sense, a person can believe in a god, making them a theist. But they can simultaneously believe that there is no proof and they cannot claim to know for certain. They still believe in god, but they are also agnostic because they do not claim superior knowledge.

the·ism [thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA –noun 1. the belief in one god as the creator and ruler of the universe, without rejection of revelation ( distinguished from deism).
2. belief in the existence of a god or gods ( opposed to atheism).

Dictionary

Point clarified, or no?

Maybe Bertrand Russel explains it better than I can:

An atheist, like a Christian, holds that we can know whether or not there is a God. The Christian holds that we can know there is a God; the atheist, that we can know there is not. The Agnostic suspends judgment, saying that there are not sufficient grounds either for affirmation or for denial. At the same time, an Agnostic may hold that the existence of God, though not impossible, is very improbable; he may even hold it so improbable that it is not worth considering in practice. In that case, he is not far removed from atheism. His attitude may be that which a careful philosopher would have towards the gods of ancient Greece. If I were asked to prove that Zeus and Poseidon and Hera and the rest of the Olympians do not exist, I should be at a loss to find conclusive arguments. An Agnostic may think the Christian God as improbable as the Olympians; in that case, he is, for practical purposes, at one with the atheists.

Cite

Point here being, an agnostic can simultaneously be an atheist.

But would you OP call an atheist, who is also agnostic, arrogant?
edit on 12/18/2010 by SpaceJ because: links!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

you are the one posting Wiki fact, in case you forgot...

Believe me I know.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Just because it isn't always a good source doesn't mean it is to be discarded entirely on every subject.

I am an agnostic atheist, I lack belief but do not assert knowledge that god doesn't exist. If you want to call this position something else and deny that agnostic-atheism exists than you are just engaging in word games.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ

True. You don't even need a page to support this! It's simply semiotics. OP look up the two terms in whatever dictionary you choose, and also look up theist, and tell me how agnostic cannot be applied to either?

Agnostics and Theist walk hand in hand, I have no problem with Agnostics personally, they are much more reasonable people.

Sorry the Atheist are just going to have to find something else to steal, Agnostics are quite dismayed that they would be associated with Atheism.

Agnostics are much more intelligent and the IQ's are up there !

Addition to my topic and Observations:

(Atheists are thieves) that lack critical / original thought...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I am an agnostic

well get your beliefs right friend, you can not be both because atheist do not believe... Agnostics believe that they can not understand the mind of God.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Agnostics and Theist walk hand in hand, I have no problem with Agnostics personally, they are much more reasonable people.

Sorry the Atheist are just going to have to find something else to steal, Agnostics are quite dismayed that they would be associated with Atheism.

Agnostics are much more intelligent and the IQ's are up there !

Addition to my topic and Observations:

(Atheists are thieves) that lack critical / original thought...

Please thoroughly read my last post and check the definitions for your own eyes. The literal definition of atheism allows for one to either 1) deny god or 2) disbelieve in god. I disbelieve in god, making me an atheist. However, I also do NOT deny god, making me an agnostic. I am an agnostic atheist.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Here's a nice young girl who explains it very well.

link   

I am an agnostic

well get your beliefs right friend, you can not be both because atheist do not believe... Agnostics believe that they can not understand the mind of God.

Your turn to provide proof. Show me a definition that says that is what agnostic means.

link   

Conservapedia is reliable for one thing, laughs. It's full of dogmatic ideology rather than actual evidence. It lacks any level of reasonable citation and is subject to the ideology of a single individual in all threads. It's been so thoroughly refuted on any point of science that it isn't even funny.

Of course, now I can understand why you say such bigoted, ignorant, and unsupportable things about atheists. You've been lied to by bigots and have taken on their bigotry.

Now, you've also made an additional claim that atheists are thieves. I'm going to now report this thread because it's been full of baseless bigotry against a minority group. Unless of course the mods would allow me to make a thread saying that all Christians are:

Young thieving, ugly, heroin addicted, idiotic evildoers with IQs under 85.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   

That is only one definition of agnostic, once again stop with the word games. I also do fit the description you gave of an agnostic in that I don't think the existence of god(s) can be disproved and, depending on what definition of god we're using, many gods could never be proved or known at all.

One does not need to make a claim to knowledge to hold a belief. I don't claim to know that aliens AREN'T visiting Earth and yet I do not hold a positive belief that they ARE.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

She should be a teacher.

Hope this clears it up for OP. I'd suggest this thread is either done being discussed, or the OP needs to make a new thread (please don't) saying something more along the lines "Are some atheists arrogant?" or maybe "Are non-agnostic atheists arrogant?". OP that would provide for much more constructive discussion if you weren't being blatantly general to bad mouth atheists.

As I was saying in my earlier post about Einstein, he is a good example of an agnostic atheist. He chose to call himself agnostic (not knowing) to avoid drawing attention to his disbelief (atheism) by non-agnostic theists of the times he lived in. While he was still an atheist, he did not identify with those atheists who weren't also agnostic, those that he referred to as fervent atheists.
edit on 12/18/2010 by SpaceJ because: thoughts

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

10:4 Ben, gotta run for now... my niece and nephew are singing in choir tonight at 7pm.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   

the question was very relevant, you can keep Darwin but Einstein is a man of respect and humility.

And here in your own statement you've called an atheist a man of respect and humility. Would you, having a high opinion of Einstein, call him arrogant? He WAS an atheist by definition. He just didn't like to roll with the hardcore atheists because he felt his energy was better spent elsewhere. He is still an atheist regardless.

Cosmic, when you have some free time you might want to visit this website. It may help you see that not all atheists are evil like you seem to perceive us. Anyone subscribing to any belief can be evil, so can there be evil (or arrogant) atheists? Yes, but to call us all arrogant isn't fair. There's some very good reading included on this site:

Positive Atheism, Great Historical Writings
edit on 12/18/2010 by SpaceJ because: link

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

And here in your own statement you've called an atheist a man of respect and humility.

yes because he/she treated others with respect since have seen him/her posting, albeit maybe only 3 posts I have read of his/hers , he/she has a good tone.

Would you, having a high opinion of Einstein, call him arrogant? He WAS an atheist by definition. He just didn't like to roll with the hardcore atheists because he felt his energy was better spent elsewhere. He is still an atheist regardless.

ok the Atheist can have Einstein no problem, it doesn't change much but if it makes them feel better so be it.

Einstein was smart enough to roll on with his interest and keep his mouth shut, and from what I hear he professed on his death bed his belief in God. Even in his 'quotes' you posted he spoke down on atheism hardcore. Why on earth would you think he used the word God so many times in his 'Quotes' that you posted ? Einstein knew his methods and how they were reflected but it could never erase what he was born as and that was a God fearing Jew.

it doesn't take much common sense to have figured that out...

Cosmic, when you have some free time you might want to visit this website. It may help you see that not all atheists are evil like you seem to perceive us.

well I really never had any thing against them before I came here, so you may want to post that link for your fellow atheist and teach them some respect. I mean I knew and had an idea of these atheist before I came here but let me tell you how much my suspicions have been confirmed since I have been here... most everything that is said about them is true and we do not need experiment to prove this fact.

no thanks on the website for now... maybe when they become nicer people in general it may peak my interest.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Conservapedia is reliable for one thing, laughs. It's full of dogmatic ideology rather than actual evidence. It lacks any level of reasonable citation and is subject to the ideology of a single individual in all threads. It's been so thoroughly refuted on any point of science that it isn't even funny.

boohoo, it contradicts Wiki... tough !

Of course, now I can understand why you say such bigoted, ignorant, and unsupportable things about atheists. You've been lied to by bigots and have taken on their bigotry.

I am responding to your bigotry and if you really must know, you are the reason this is all taking place... if you feel you won a little fish with your trolling abilities you are most certainly wrong. I am out to oppose you and your kind ! Atheistic evolutionist self proclaimed gods.

You are not a God Sir, you live under him...

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Do you ever plan on answering a single point put to you on this thread or do you just plan to continue with using silly insults and hyperbole?

Do you see those little numbers that are written in wikipedia articles? They are called citations. a citation is a reference to an external study or article that attempts to provide a proof or evidence to justify the claim made in the article. The fact that you fail to realise that things on wikipedia are in fact checked for supporting evidence and you think that it is just opinion just shows how ignorant you truly are, not surprising for someone that bases their world view on a series of ancient fairy tales.

You have failed to come up with a single reliable study / source or anything at all to support your views apart from your own bizarre rantings.

Nothing you have said in any of this thread has a single piece of verifiable evidence to support it
edit on 18-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join