It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico: Drug War Toll Tops 30,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Mexico: Drug War Toll Tops 30,000

www.nytimes.com

More than 30,000 people have been killed in drug violence since President Felipe Calderón began a crackdown against illegal drug organizations in 2006, Mexican officials said Thursday. The previous official toll, in August, was 28,000.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Is it worth the money? Is it worth the price in lives lost?

I wonder how many have been injured and or imprisoned in the governments crack down?

Im not a supporter of the war on drugs. I don't agree with outlawing plants.

They are losing 500 people a month in the war. There prisons must be overflowing with people.

Years ago the focus of the war on drugs was Columbia but the battle is ever moving North right towards us.

What do you think?

www.nytimes.com

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Im not for banning plants either but in this case when there is so many chemicals and so many people rely on the "black market" of drugs for a living you need to expect people to shoot each other. it is a very corrupt country i beleive, so that doesnt help with the deaths, but legalising something should be on the right path. those who are on the "edge" of legal social living and dabbling in something, eg "growing plants for a local" i think could move furthur from the line by legaliseing some work practices. for eg if they lagalised mary-jane thered be 100k that know how to grow it employ some of them people, workers off the street and users not having to deal with gangs for a hit. it would help. but then when i look into my other hand there #ed and no one can help them.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   
This is horrible. No wonder why the RCMP refuse to crackdown on marijuana in BC- because it would lead to cartels and many, unnecessary deaths.

Drug wars... If the commanders of these wars would smoke the dope, then there would be no war in the first place.
edit on 17-12-2010 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   
No offense but why do we need to hear about this? Isn't it ironic that a war right on the border that could expand well beyond it is being neglected the attention it needs instead for some stupid wars overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan? And the most important of all wars is the "Middle East crisis." which has been here for decades. I mean, it's just an insulting reminder of things that the U.S. government has no interest in resolving. There are many world problems that could solved but we are keep our focus on matters that were not meant to be resolved.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

Is it worth the money? Is it worth the price in lives lost?

I wonder how many have been injured and or imprisoned in the governments crack down?

Im not a supporter of the war on drugs. I don't agree with outlawing plants.

They are losing 500 people a month in the war. There prisons must be overflowing with people.

Years ago the focus of the war on drugs was Columbia but the battle is ever moving North right towards us.

What do you think?

www.nytimes.com

I think America tends to spend a lot of time not only trying to tell others how to live their lives (this particular accusation is directed directly at the people of America) as well as fighting unjust wars (a critique of the government).

How about we get back to our roots of freedom and liberty. If that happened, everyone who has died fighting in Iraq, as well as this "drug war" (laughable at best, as we are only at war with ourselves), would still be alive.

I only passively participate in this world. Things are just too stupid for me to really believe, so i have to kind of detach myself to some degree.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Legalizing marijuana would not change anything.

The cartels make most of their money off of harddrugs like meth and coke.

We are not going to legalize meth and coke. Its far too destructive on society, especially meth.

Mexico, like it or not, will become another warfront. They are already on the verge of collapse. Things will continue to get worse down there and the next administration will be the ones to handle it. My prediction is no later than 2014, a joint US-Canadian security and stabilization force will deploy into Mexico. I could even see it involving other NATO members like the UK, Spain, France, and Germany.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
We are not going to legalize meth and coke. Its far too destructive on society, especially meth.

Meth should be eradicated off the face of this planet.

But in order to do this, we must all understand why it is popular. It is distributed by gangs as a cheap, hard-hitting and highly addictive drug. Meth itself is designed to destroy the lives of its users and create a dependency on the product; a perfect capitalist drug. There is nothing spiritual about it, and it is a bane to society. But it is prevalent because of the drug war and prohibition on drugs; if there was no drug prohibition, then it would probably slip away from our lives.

new topics

top topics

join