It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Interesting Timing: Senate Passes Federal Whistleblower Protection Bill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Interesting Timing: Senate Passes Federal Whistleblower Protection Bill

www.techdirt.c om

We were just highlighting how the government is terrible at protecting whistleblowers -- with particular attention to the horrific treatment of Bradley Manning. As all of this is going on, it's worth pointing out that the Senate (apparently without much sense of irony) has passed a "Whistleblower Protection Enhancement Act," which would seek to grant greater protections to government employees who blow the whistle on government wrongdoing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Well ain't that something!

I often wonder if there is a lot of saber rattling while at the same time causing actual change. I can't help but think this is the only reason something like this could pass the senate at a time like this, unless there are a lot of republicans who are happy about hillary being dished on.

I dunno... I'm not really sure how to read this...

What are your thoughts ATS?

www.techdirt.c om
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Is it true or is it more like war = peace? Will it indeed protect whistle blowers or will it yet again give the government more power against whistle blowers??

I just don't trust the government to do the right thing towards the people anymore.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   
What is "Grant greater protection"? What does that really mean? And from whom would the whistle-blower need protection from?

The same clowns that passed this? And the enforcement is yet again by the same "Law Makers"?

Fox guarding the hen house...me thinks!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:45 AM
link   
no matter what the law says it wouldn't apply to manning! lol.. unless there is a section covering the military and changing the U.S.M.C.J than he is not protected. and will face what ever punishment the military deems fit including death or as his court marshal may direct.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Wow, sounds like democracy is not completely dead just yet. This cablegate has given society a good reality check and those in power can see the writing on the wall if things are not sorted out. A very good move in the right direction, but still a lot more work to go.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Dude that bill was written and introduced last year. And yea, I would think it would apply to Manning if indeed Manning leaked the footage of the helicopter attack and feared he would be punished for revealing it to superiors and exposing the people in the act.

edit- there was a previous version from 1989
Oh yea, you know that thing they said to Columbia University about not getting a job with the government earlier? I think that may be discrimination and would be covered here too, it is tough to read these damn bills. ;(

I found this snippet interesting from the article

Other provisions extend whistleblower protections to transportation security officers and intelligence community workers, allow government contractors to make classified whistleblowing reports to Congress and facilitate action by the Office of Special Counsel against those responsible for illegal retaliation against whistleblowers. Whistleblower advocates were not able to persuade the Senate to include jury trials for CIA and other intelligence community whistleblowers who charge agencies with retaliation.

edit on 17-12-2010 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I'd say read the fine print..
Check the exclusions..Usually very telling...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack
I'd say read the fine print..
Check the exclusions..Usually very telling...

wow, it must be gonna snow in Miami.
We actually agree on something

Yep, any time the gubmint tells me
something is good, I find out later
they were lying.

This is no different

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I dont know man, they got all these sections and subsections then items and sub items, it would literally take hours to reference each point and reference and put together the whole picture.

Im surprised anyone in this country knows whether they are breaking the law or not.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:38 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

wow, it must be gonna snow in Miami.
We actually agree on something

But we have agreed on many things in the past..
Just not since them damn reptilians abducted you and replaced the real Boon...
Must be sad living off mice..

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I think its important to remember when dealing with matters of this heavy and gravitas laden sort, that the key to the issue is simple, and has to do in the main with morality .
A government, or department therein, no matter its function, or its power, has no right to do anything which the people who employ them see as immoral , indecent, or in any way wrong. If a person within that group sees wrong doing, and does not speak out against it, then he is complicit in the wrong doing, and may as well have the blood or the embarrasment on his own hands, whichever suits the situation the best.
Secrecy , diplomatic immunity, the protections offered to various officials are not genuine tools of state, but methods of keeping the man in the street and the controling factions in a nation seperate from one another, the former downtrodden and confused, and the latter aloof and above contempt , regardless of thier own moral fibres strength.
The right to keep secrets should only ever have been extended to persons incapable by the force of thier own love for thier fellow man, of making a choice which would damage thier reputation or the honour of thier nation. If either of those things would be the bulk of the secrets kept, or even any small part thereof, then there is no justification for secrecy. There should be no part of law, military , or federal, or otherwise, which upholds the right of any man or organisation to do wrong in the shadows, while insisting that the common man in the street be held to much higher standards of morality and scrutiny.
With this in mind, I hope that these new rules and protections extend to those who wish to make complainst or accusations against the government at all levels, and are not just a trap for those who have genuine greivance to fall into.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Great points everyone!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:36 AM
link   

VERY interesting. (Something I read) says the Bill is now going to the House. Wonder if it will pass there? ...will it be bounced back and forth for amendments?

More from [url+voices.washingtonpost.com...]Washington Post[/url]:

Other provisions extend whistleblower protections to transportation security officers and intelligence community workers, allow government contractors to make classified whistleblowing reports to Congress and facilitate action by the Office of Special Counsel against those responsible for illegal retaliation against whistleblowers.

Whistleblower advocates were not able to persuade the Senate to include jury trials for CIA and other intelligence community whistleblowers who charge agencies with retaliation.

edit on 17/12/10 by soficrow because: correction

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

And riders ;-)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Gotta love those riders and amendments.

...We better keep an eye on the North American Union negotiations while this Bill is bouncing - AND on the status of our Rights and Freedoms. Have a feeling they're on the negotiating table.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Im surprised anyone in this country knows whether they are breaking the law or not.

WE are ALL breaking the law. Especially when some agent of the government gets to interpret the law. Remember these guys get brownie points for every "Law breaker" they bring in. Perhaps they even get pay grade increases.

new topics

top topics

join