It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congress sends tax legislation to White House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Article

WASHINGTON – Acting with uncommon speed, Congress sent President Barack Obama sweeping, bipartisan legislation late Thursday night to avoid a Jan. 1 spike in income taxes for millions and renew jobless benefits for victims of the worst recession in 80 years.

The measure also will cut Social Security taxes for nearly every wage-earner and pump billions of dollars into the still-sluggish economy.

The 277-148 vote came the day after the Senate cleared the bill, 81-19.

Well, it looks like this bill is about to go through. They say the bill will help create jobs, boost the economy, ect.... I havent read the bill so I dont really know whats in it yet.

Hopefully this bill is helpful to us?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

can anyone guess who's taxes ARE gonna go up....
ahh....come on, take a guess...give a hint I ain't talking about the "rich"!!

nope, the working poor, the ones who are struggling the most, will see a tax increase...while I think the "rich" get to keep most of theirs....ya know the ones that are supposedly giving these working poor such good paying jobs??

money.cnn.com...

this government is sickening! all this squabbling over who should enjoy their tax breaks, a 2000 page spending bill of over a trillion dollars, filled with earmarks....
gladly pay you tuesday......for a 10 million dollar hamburger today!!!

just let the danged taxes go up!!! what the heck, it's their spending that is killing the economy!! and well, not only is it cheaper in the long run for them to take the money that they are spending with taxes instead of borrowing and incurring the interest...but well, sooner or later, the taxpayers will get fed up enough to remove the source of most of our problems from the positions of power!!!

edit on 17-12-2010 by dawnstar because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

It amazes me that this bill overshadows the 9/11 first responder health bill. I believe the 9/11 bill has passed the House but its holed up in the Senate with a filibuster by 2 senators I think.

Apparently, taxes are more important to vote on, rather than helping the people that are sick and dieing that were in one of the most devestating events this country has seen.

I believe I heard someone in Congress say that they shouldnt go to work over the holidays because it would be an embarrasment to work over the christan holiday or something. I guess they want to get the tax bill through, and then take a few weeks break.....Not to mention that Congress approval rating is at an all time low of 13%.....

Edit - I believe it was this guy that didnt want to work over the holidays.

edit on 17-12-2010 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2010 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
didn't they just have a nice long vacation?? they should have worked through that one and got some of this stuff done instead of coming home and lying to us?? now they are trying ram all this stuff through, and well, of course, not having enough time to read all the pages of these huge bills and know what it is they are passing....
I'd get yelled at work for not reading a job ticket and messing up a few peices...which amounts to maybe a few dollars in felt and some ink....these guys aren't reading though their bills and the price tag for the screwups are in the billions, and trillions...
still say we should bribe the typist to throw a few lines in these bills saying that all the congress is resigning due to their incompetance!
their signing such a bill would prove their incompetance enough!!1

new topics

top topics

join